Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking Front Door Lube Point?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeaking Front Door Lube Point?

I've recently noticed a squeaking noise when opening the front doors on my 18 month old 2004 CS. I assume the fix is some wd-40 on the hinges and there is no need for a door hinge realignment or adjustment by the dealer.....but I did a quick search on the forum to see if this is a known issue and didn't come up with anything......is there anything known to the group that I missed?

Thanks,

--Bob
Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

On my 03 S, I had a similar problem and took it to dealer. They replaced the hinge. Might want to have the dealer look at it.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem but only with the driver door and after 30K. I just lubed the door with Prolong lubricant and away it went. I never visited the dealer with the issue. This was 2 months ago. I also lubed all of the other doors as well JIK.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:24 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graphite works to fix this problem, or White Lightning. I don't see why you shouldn't try that before taking it to the dealer.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:45 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine had a distinct grinding associated with the noise. The service guy said immediately it was a bad hinge.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:38 AM
rbaron
Racer

Thanks for your replies.

I have to take it in to the dealer in 3 days anyway to have the key remotes replaced (they were working fine but I had the oil changed at the dealer recently and they checked for service bulletins and replacing the remotes was on the list) so I will have the door hinges looked at and let you know the results.

I talked to the service writer about this yesterday and he said he had not seen a problem here and assumed it was just a lube issue but I don't think they see a high volume of Cayennes; the tech who works on it is very good and I am reasonably confident that if there is a mechanical issue he will be able to spot it.

--Bob

Last edited by rbaron; 01-24-2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might also check the rubber boot joining the door to the body, which I believe protects the wiring harness. I had a creaking on the driver's side rear door that I first thought was the hinge, but then I realized it was actually coming from the rubber boot. A little Vinylex or silicone treatment on the rubber and the creaking went away.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:01 PM
rbaron
Racer

Update: the tech checked the hinges and straps and applied lube and all seems ok now.

Except for the damn remotes.

The new ones have upset whatever programming I had done in the comfort menu and now I've got to figure out what I did and re-do it so it works the same.

Grrr.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:05 PM
rbaron
Racer

I spoke too soon. The creaking/squeaking is still there or has returned.

Maybe it was too loud outside when I listened and thought it was fixed, but I sure can hear it now in the quiet of my garage.

I think I'm going to try spraying something on the rubber door seals and see if that helps.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 PM
rbaron
Racer

It's back.

Of course I can't remember what (if anything) I did to stop it last winter, and if I found a cure I didn't post it. My bad.

I've been by the dealer for a couple of other things twice in the last 2 or 3 weeks and each time they have sprayed the doors with lubricant (not WD40) and it has not solved the problem.

On closer listening in the quiet of my garage it sounds like the squeak is coming from the lower part of the front doors when opened and closed.

I'm reluctant to use WD40 because (despite what they say on their website) I'm afraid it will damage the rubber seals and wiring harness cover. I've got some 303 protectant spray but I'm not sure that's the right stuff either.

Anyone had any updated experience with this issue?

Thanks,

--Bob
Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 AM
jim90272
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphite worked for me

I just sprayed some graphite dry lubricant on all the hinges and the problem went away.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Front Door Lube Point?