Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Body Parts Sources

Old 12-03-2018, 12:40 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Used Body Parts Sources

My son had a minor front end collision in our '06 S, which basically just buggered up the front bumper cover and broke the driver side headlamp unit (which I've already replaced) and minor damage to the left front fender (I've got a guy to fix that). I'm looking for a used front bumper cover. I've scoured ebay, and there are a couple that will work. When I bought the car a couple of years ago, it had a buggered up rear bumper and I actually found one the same color on ebay. I would love to find a lapis blue front bumper cover now to save on having it repainted. Other than ebay, does anybody have any thoughts on the quickest way to search for a 955 front bumper cover with park assist in lapis blue? All suggestions welcome.
Pre- and post-accident pics below.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Getting one with the rare blue gonna be tough I bet. http://www.car-part.com/ searches a wide area of salvage yards.

Rockauto has them new for pretty cheap. Buddy suggested LKQ
Old 12-03-2018, 01:30 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Libast
Getting one with the rare blue gonna be tough I bet. http://www.car-part.com/ searches a wide area of salvage yards.

Rockauto has them new for pretty cheap. Buddy suggested LKQ
Thanks Libast! I just tried car-part.com and it turned up several options, but none in blue (not surprising). LKQ didn't have anything. The nice thing about buying a used bumper cover is that they generally come as entire assemblies with all of the grills and the lower valance/spoiler. Just the cover itself is pretty reasonable new, but then adding the grilles, and especially the lower spoiler jacks the price way up.

I've got a week or so before I need to order as I don't need the part until December 17th. I'll probably just end up getting one in a different color and having it painted.

A couple of other questions you guys might know the answer to or can confirm:
-The front bumper cover comes in several configurations depending on options (like "Park Assist", which mine has). I don't think mine has the "Sport Design" option, which apparently means that the foglight opening is round and it has a metal skid plate cover in the middle of the spoiler. Is that correct?

-However, if I ordered a front bumper assembly for a Sport Design, I assume it would fit my vehicle even though it doesn't have that option.

-Wheel opening moulding appears to be rare as I haven't even found a picture of a 955 with what appears to be wheel opening mouldings - and also assume that mine doesn't have them.

-Conversion to a 957 front end would be cost prohibitive (this car is my son's college car and has 160k+ miles on it) based on another thread I found on here

-I don't have headlamp washers on mine, but assume that if I bought a front bumper assembly with headlamp washers, it wouldn't be a problem (other than they probably would be non-functional)

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Very true on the assembly. There's a pretty good parts car near me- I don't know if he would be willing to "part" with the bumper cover

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...760238677.html
Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Libast
Very true on the assembly. There's a pretty good parts car near me- I don't know if he would be willing to "part" with the bumper cover

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...760238677.html
Appreciate the lead - too bad it doesn't have park assist. Looks like he's already started the part-out on it as the pics show no headlights in it. And it is close enough that I could have even just driven down and picked up the bumper assembly myself. I hadn't thought about scouring Craigslist nationwide for someone parting out a Cayenne.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:27 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I just talked to these guys and they have parted a bunch of Cayennes, worth a shot: http://www.einmaligparts.com/
Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
Appreciate the lead - too bad it doesn't have park assist. Looks like he's already started the part-out on it as the pics show no headlights in it. And it is close enough that I could have even just driven down and picked up the bumper assembly myself. I hadn't thought about scouring Craigslist nationwide for someone parting out a Cayenne.
I run a search every once in a while just for parts, because you never really know what people put out there.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:23 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Update:

Libast's referral to www.car-part.com was the best lead outside of ebay. It gave me several options, although most options were already listed on ebay. However, seeing other non-ebay listed options gave me a better feel for the price range of a used front bumper cover entire assembly, which turned out to be important.

In the end, I decided that finding a lapis blue one was going to be a unicorn hunt. One showed up on ebay that looked good, although the price was high at $750 including shipping. I found the seller's website and went to check if they had any others in stock. They didn't, but I noticed the price for the exact same part on their website was $50 cheaper than on ebay. Hmm, better, but the price was still above the "going rate" as determined by those other listings on www.car-part.com. So, I get the phone number off their website and call in. I told them that I'd like to buy the part, but their price seemed a little high based on other listings. Sales rep promptly knocks another $100 off, so now it is down to $600 shipped, and I pulled the trigger on it. My body shop got it 4 business days later and called to say it was in really nice shape.

Bottom line is that as these cars are getting older, it's important to a lot of owners to keep the maintenance costs as low as possible. So, if you find a used part you need, browse around a little and don't be afraid to call & ask for a discount. I got zero pushback when I asked for a discount on the price.

The car is at the body shop now and should be ready by the end of the week. I'll post an "after pic" when we get it back.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Awesome we can't wait to see it! And congrats on finding a good bargain on a used part
Old 12-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

No affiliation at all, but I found this on one of my searches. Again I cannot comment on price or quality, but an option.

https://www.specializedgerman.com/used-porsche-parts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used Body Parts Sources