Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Cayenne OEM radio with GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006 | 10:43 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

Default Looking for Cayenne OEM radio with GPS

Anyone know where I can get an OEM Porsche radio with GPS for a 2005 Cayenne S at a great price? thanks
Old 01-06-2006 | 11:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I assume you mean a PCM2 headunit?
You can get them on eBay occasionally, Oaklahoma Foreign, any Porsche parts department (Tequipment item), but your best price would likely be from Sunset Imports (cost + 15%).
For the GPS, you will also need the GPS antenna (which is normally under the rear spoiler cover) and LOTS of wire.
Definitely NOT a DIY job, as the Porsche Tech Bulletin for aftermarket sales installation is 18 pages.
Old 01-07-2006 | 12:06 AM
trozenhorse
Racer

thats what i figured.....i wonder if it is even worth it...but i will certainly explore it....and for sure professionally installed....i have a pro for that.....
Old 01-07-2006 | 12:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'm not sure an independent installer could install an OEM PCM.
You may have to take it to a dealer.....usually about $4K.

Have you seen the OEM PCM? Some people don't think it's quite worth the money, compared to what you can do if you replace the headunit & amp (abandoning the MOST fiber optics and leaving your steering controls dead) and just have an installer put in the headunit of their choice.
Old 01-07-2006 | 01:37 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

I love our Nav but many other cars with Nav I've ridden in have much better and more complete info (mainly japanese) so I don't think it would be worth it putting in OEM PCM2 after the fact. I agree with Lewis- use another afterrmarket system- probably a LOT cheaper and with more map data. Good luck...
Old 01-07-2006 | 12:25 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

still prefer the look of original OEM porsche stuff....this place can handle the install....at the dealer with their hourly rate it would be crazy.....gotta a deal to find a used unit....anyway i will keep you guys posted....Ted
Old 01-07-2006 | 02:09 PM
buckeyedoc
Intermediate

You need to purchase the PCM retrofit kit...has all the wires, GPS antenna and PCM unit. Brandywine Porsche has the PCM 2.1(DVD version) on EBay for approx $3,000 which is much better than Sunset will do.

I installed the unit myself following the TSB instructions...the only thing the Porsche dealer has to do is program the MOST controller with the PST2. Check your yellow pages...I had a local Porsche repair shop do mine(non-dealer)...all they need is the PST2.

It isn't rocket science installing the thing. The GPS antenna mounts under the rear spoiler where the radio antenna already is. The spoiler is removed by torx screws under the black hole cover-caps you see under the deck lid directly under the spoiler locale. The GPS antenna wire is run from the spoiler down the rear deck lid hinge, to a junction point under the celing panel where the inside tailgate courtesy light is. An extension from this point is run under the ceiling panel edge up to the front driver side or "A" pillar and down under the passenger footwell to the area where the cdr23 radio was removed.

I even installed the CDC-4 at the same time AND Sirius (running the Sirius antenna wire at the same time as the GPS to the back of the radio box) and didn't freak out about it. The key is to get a set of plastic trim removal tools(wedges) so you don't mar anything when pulling interior trim off.

The instructions in the "PCM2 Retrofit" TSB are very good...you just have to read each step at a time as you go along. I actually really enjoyed doing it! It's awesome compared to the CDR23-radio. The PCM2 is more user friendly than my 2003 Escalade GPS.

I looked at going after-market, too. It just didn't appeal to me to lose the radio controls from the steering wheel and also the cluster display communication from the radio for convenience of a touch screen unit ...non-OEM to boot. GO FOR IT!
Old 01-08-2006 | 12:13 AM
trozenhorse
Racer

have someone who is trading his OEM radio for something else so i am thinking of buying his.....otherwise it is just too much to spend for a car that will be going back in a year....already popped so much on this pepper....
Old 01-08-2006 | 01:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Question

Originally Posted by trozenhorse
.....otherwise it is just too much to spend for a car that will be going back in a year.....
May I ask why your Cayenne is going back in a year?

Quick Reply: Looking for Cayenne OEM radio with GPS