Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post 06 Cayenne observations

Had a brand new 06 Cayenne (V6) loaner yesterday (yes, I know, I've had so many Cayenne loaners/driven so many miles on them, I would qualify as an official Porsche test driver at this point), and noticed 2 nice little touches.

1. The 'Cayenne' logo is embossed into the leather on top of the center console cover. Looks very nice.
2. The Porsche crest was embossed into both front headrests. Also looked very nice.

Don't know if these are options are new or not (don't think they're Exlcusive programme options, as the Cayenne does not qualify for the Exclusive programme IIRC).
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Chriz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The embossed Porsche crest for the headrests can be ordered as a regular option over here (europe). Take a look at leather options in car configurator.
The center console stuff is part of the exclusive programm options. You can order either the cayenne logo or the porsche crest for the console.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Chriz; 12-15-2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added pic
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (08-28-2023)
Old 12-15-2005, 10:41 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Had a brand new 06 Cayenne (V6) loaner yesterday (yes, I know, I've had so many Cayenne loaners/driven so many miles on them, I would qualify as an official Porsche test driver at this point), and noticed 2 nice little touches.

1. The 'Cayenne' logo is embossed into the leather on top of the center console cover. Looks very nice.
2. The Porsche crest was embossed into both front headrests. Also looked very nice.

Don't know if these are options are new or not (don't think they're Exlcusive programme options, as the Cayenne does not qualify for the Exclusive programme IIRC).

Lewis-- I have an '06 CS-- The headrest crest was offered as an option (when I placed my order last summer), but I do not recall seeing it offered for the dash.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Surprising that a V6 Cayenne loaner car would have gone thru the Exclusive Programme......
Old 12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Lewis- how many times did the loaner give you the !!! sign????
Old 12-15-2005, 01:48 PM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chriz is correct - the Porsche Crest in the headrest is regular Option Code: 3J7 and the Model Logo in the Arm Rest on the Center Console is from the 'Exclusive' Shop and is Option Code: ALY
With this option, the model name, i.e., Cayenne or Cayenne S or Turbo, is tooled onto the arm rest. Looks real nice. JW

Last edited by JW3; 12-16-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
Lewis- how many times did the loaner give you the !!! sign????
Interestingly enough, it was a brand new 06 loaner (few hundred miles) and when you started it up, it gave you the "Service Now" indicator.
No "!" tests attempted......what's the point?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:04 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How much does one get to pay for the crests?? Would think at least double the amount for the painted wheel crests :-)
Old 12-15-2005, 07:38 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me see if I'm getting this right. The guys over there are making us pay extra to put their logo on the car. They are also the same folks who gave us a car to go in the snow that runs a little funny when it's cold.
I'm glad I got one before the word gets out on all this. There may not be enough to go around.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lewis, hope the loaner doesnt mean the garage queen is in the shop!? Skies must be clear.
Was thinking of a V6 as my next cay. Whats the power feel like and can it tow a track appliance?

happy holidays

tom
Old 12-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Kooser
Pro

I thought the embossed crests in the headrests were a nice touch too. I ordered a pair about 6 weeks ago. If I am not mistaken they were only $183.00. The parts department said that it would be about 2-4 months before I would see them, but since I have headrests now that are functioning I am in no terrible rush.

I got some Llyod mats - black with "turbo" on them in silver and silver piping around the edges to match the aluminum trim in the interior and on the exterior of my black Cayenne. I think, for me, if "turbo" was embossed on the armrest it would be a little too much. Plus, if I am not mistaken, whatever is written on the armrest can only be viewed right side up from the driver's seat.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:51 AM
JW3
Racer

Kooser you are correct - read correctly from the drivers seat. But, you can also get the Porsche Crest on the Center Console Arm Rest (Option Code: ALW). Of course, the crest is then centered and in the proper north & south direction. JW
Old 12-16-2005, 08:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Lewis, hope the loaner doesnt mean the garage queen is in the shop!? Skies must be clear.
No, the 996TT (garage queen) and the 968 Cab (garage princess) are both safely tucked away in the garage on their bunk beds. I drove the 996TT about 500 miles this year......Cab 1 mile (bought it right before the first major storm)

Was thinking of a V6 as my next cay. Whats the power feel like and can it tow a track appliance?
The only scenario I could envision for a V6 Cayenne pulling a track appliance would be on an open aluminum trailer (to keep weight and drag down).
Having driven a V6 loaner MANY times, the lack of low end torque (compared to a V8) would become noticeable when pulling my normal track appliance (~2500#) and trailer (enclosed all aluminum, ~ 2500# or so).
Even with the V8, 6th gear is functionally useless (due to lack of torque) and driving in manual is required at all times.
For any towing, I would definitely suggest PASM (skl and JFScheck tow regularly with an S and have PASM, so their comments would be valued).
PAG states that the towing capacity/tongue weight is the same for all Cayenne variants.
From a fuel economy/mileage perspective, when towing a V6 will likely yield the same MPG as a V8 (9-11mpg for me....again, skl and JFScheck could add their comments as well) and unloaded the V6 is slightly more fuel efficient (1-2mpg max) than a V8. I currently get 18mpg unloaded with my V8.
From a financial perspective, I don't know how much cheaper a V6 would be compared to a V8 Cayenne.
From a reliability perspective, given the previous posts regarding some companies no longer offering aftermarket extended warranties for Cayennes, a 6yr/100K mile CPO Cayenne would be a logical first option for a tow vehicle.

happy holidays
tom
Happy Holidays to you as well.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

I always do what Lewis tells me, as I'm not sure if he's taken his meds ( ) so I'll add my experiences...

Lewis is right about the tranny- you are almost never in 6th and I run with PSM off and shift myself. I have usually towed in low mode with my 18' V nose (22'total) ATC aluminum enclosed trailer. I avg between 8-9 when towing- Iowa is hillier than you think and with the trailer loaded properly tows very smoothly. Of course I have the famous ! issue with the lights but have luckily never had a total failure like Lewis. We towed once last year with my son's friend's Titan V8 and the Cayenne actually did better on mileage towing than the Nissan. Of course, the lights worked fine on the Titan. We get a lot of comments and stares while towing with it, especially pulling into the paddock at the track. I have only towed my spec Miata so far so I'm sure towing the GT3 will kill a little more gas...

There are times when I wonder how a V10 Toureg TDI would have done but they sold so few before they pulled them from the market I'm glad I didn't try that route. The new Q7 would interest me with the TDI if they can get the good low sulfur fuel over here...

Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
I always do what Lewis tells me, as I'm not sure if he's taken his meds ( )
I'm fine. However, it's best if you don't make direct eye contact...if you do, do NOT turn and run...maintain direct eye contact and back away SLOWLY.

Originally Posted by skl
Of course I have the famous ! issue with the lights but have luckily never had a total failure like Lewis.
Total lighting failure? I have been ASSURED by PCNA that this is a TOTAL impossibility and simply has NEVER occured.

What? You mean I'm the only one who pulls into the paddock at 5AM with 2 Mag Lights attached to the vehicle with racer's tape and a cabin full of D batteries for the ride?

Quick Reply: 06 Cayenne observations