Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Interesting.

Similar to the climate control dampers/flaps clicking heard from behind the dashboard (discussed previously). Some do it, some don't. Verified by dealer.

None are replaced however, since replacement requires removal of most of the dashboard (re: $$ in labor), so PCNA tells the dealers that it's "normal".

Since I am the 'unofficial dark cloud hanging over Cayenne ownership', I'm going to bet that rome's pump will not be replaced, unless it fails leading to an OBDII emissions error.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:49 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus
Funny how some dealers are. I told my dealer I thought something was wrong with my coling fans - when the second fan came on the car made a moaning sound. They replaced both fans without a question. As it happened to turn out, it was not the cooling fan, but the electric water pump for the ac/heat that was groaning. They will replace that mid-January.

Does anyone know what the checks/balances are for warranty work - is it like an HMO where they get credit for fewer warranty jobs - otherwise seems like there would be no incentive for them not to get paid for all sorts of warranty work.
The tech told me that they could replace the pump in the case, but they were afraid they would not get paid by Porsche for the work. So, apparently there is some sort of testing done by Porsche of the warrantied part to see if it was "wrongly" covered by the dealer as a warranty item.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Correct.
ALL parts removed from a vehicle under warranty are property of and returned to PCNA/PAG.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:16 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Interesting.

Similar to the climate control dampers/flaps clicking heard from behind the dashboard (discussed previously). Some do it, some don't. Verified by dealer.

None are replaced however, since replacement requires removal of most of the dashboard (re: $$ in labor), so PCNA tells the dealers that it's "normal".

Since I am the 'unofficial dark cloud hanging over Cayenne ownership', I'm going to bet that rome's pump will not be replaced, unless it fails leading to an OBDII emissions error.

I can't help but wonder how much one of those pumps, plus labor, would cost...

ltc-- Do you have an opinion about the reliability of a "noisey" pump as compared to a pump which is "normal"?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry, I have no experience with this part.........
Perhaps Loren at renntech might be able to help. I'll check and see if there is a TSB for this part.

If it costs a dollar, then it's a dollar too much as far as PCNA is concerned.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Sorry, I have no experience with this part.........
At least something on your truck works like it should...
ltc, thanks very much for your help.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

A quick scan of the TSB's didn't show anything for the pump......yet
Old 01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
A quick scan of the TSB's didn't show anything for the pump......yet

How do you look at the TSB's. Is there a website? I'd like to keep an eye out for it.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:45 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

If you're a contributing member of renntech.org you can access the TSB's. It's worth it...notice how many there are...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
If you're a contributing member of renntech.org you can access the TSB's. It's worth it...notice how many there are...
Really? I hadn't noticed
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Well...the cold weather is back and I hear "clicking" again...

See posts above for background.

I am wondering if anyone has had this fixed under warranty over the past few months. Last we checked, there was no TSB.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The dash creaking is the a/c servo motors, on the flap valves, hunting for position. The upper ones seem to be ok, dealer replaced my lowers ones twice under warranty. As has been said its a major job to get to them.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
The dash creaking is the a/c servo motors, on the flap valves, hunting for position. The upper ones seem to be ok, dealer replaced my lowers ones twice under warranty. As has been said its a major job to get to them.
FWIW, it is one of the reasons I traded.. the solonoids are not being replaced.. I don't know what the techs did to get them to stop for awhile.. but they did and then the dang things started to do it again in the past few months.. not nearly as frequently as before.. but still enough to be annoying. I think the only way to push it is under warranty (remember I was naked) and keep at it.. if you can't get it done.. buy an ext. warranty PRIOR to 49K (most won't allow purchase less than 1000 miles to expiration or less than 1 month) ... only problem is usually pre-existing problems are not covered if documented previously.. thus, you would need to be more "creative" in your description of the problem for the non-PAG warranty.. of course, like Larry said.. they just take the cheap way out with the early models and of course, fixed it in the newer models.. or at least that appears to be the case ..since it isn't mentioned in later model year posts.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rome,

Push the dealer and tell them the noise is unacceptable and you want the pump replaced. I understand if the clicking lasts only 30 seconds but all the time while driving is not right.

I don't know how your regional service reps are who certify warranty work, but any small issues I had out here were always repaired without question.
Ask your service guy when warranty visitations happen so he can see what they say.

Madfox, speaking warranty extension................was the price your dealer gave you reasonable? I have not haggled with the dealers yet as I still have 1 year left but I will buy the extended warranty probably before Christmas.

Since the diffference from a CTT to CTTS is about $40k we decided to buy insurance, 06 Toyota 4Runner V8, I can drink my Kool-aid Virgin with this one.
If the trade would have happened to CTTS family pressure would have sent me to a special focus group.......
Old 10-17-2006, 09:11 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Clicking is from the rear of the car, near the gas tank. Only lasts for about 15 seconds and in cold weather only. Last winter dealer told me it was a pump relating to operation of gas tank and that on some CS's it is louder than on others.

I didn't feel like picking a fight then, but I am wondering if anyone has succeeded in getting it replaced. I just bought another car from this dealer and I am thinking the time may be right to lean on them a little.

Quick Reply: I hear clicking....