Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Less fiber.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also more reliable, 2 potential paths rather than one.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:05 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
Also more reliable, 2 potential paths rather than one.
I wish that were true... at least thankfully, I don't get the infamous MOST equivalent of a blue screen anymore. Hmmm, I wonder if there was an equivalent to a CTRL-ALT-DEL --- let's see I think there was but the electric shock that was followed by a german voice that said, "YOU vittle schitzu you vill like zee glitches or vee vill shockz you vith high amperage zee next timez." I just live with the glitches now... itz too painful to try and fix them all!!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Unfortunately, there really isn't a CTRL-ALT-DEL for a MOST headunit, as all MOST devices have PERMANENT connections to the battery (B+), so in order to do a reboot, it's similar to a laptop....you have to remove/disconnect the battery......then wait about 15-30 seconds for the internal hold up capacitors (don't ask) in the device to discharge. No, I'm not kidding.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI While in the shop yesterday the tech performed W555 Software Update DCW555660001.

They also removed the rear spoiler, cleaned the eyelet S and ground plates. It made a huge difference in what i can only describe as the worst FM reception I have ever heard. My 968 without the antenna whip had better reception.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:55 PM
356driver
Racer

Lewis, At one time I read on renntech that disconnecting the battery will cause you to have to reprogram a lot of on-board modules with a PST-2. Since that time I have been reluctant to do anything that involves disconnecting the battery. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also, if you want to power down the head unit why not pull fuses 9-12 on the left fuse box? Is there some other power going into the head unit?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 356driver
Lewis, At one time I read on renntech that disconnecting the battery will cause you to have to reprogram a lot of on-board modules with a PST-2. Since that time I have been reluctant to do anything that involves disconnecting the battery. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
The Cayenne is a "work in progress".
Early versions of some modules had "issues" with disconnecting B+ (depending on what communication/module internal function was underway). The likely symptom would be corrupted memory/configuration errors. Most have been worked out (re: beaten into submission) by now.
The rear comfort module is an example....8-9 updates/revisions since introduction.....hey, why did I lose my "fill in the blank" option....my personal favorite.
However, the MOST DSP amplifier does NOT suffer from this problem! On the flip side, it had problems that I don't want to relive, thank you.

Originally Posted by 356driver
Also, if you want to power down the head unit why not pull fuses 9-12 on the left fuse box? Is there some other power going into the head unit?
Correct. It doesn't really matter how you remove B+ from a MOST device (remove battery, pull the fuse, 4lb sledgehammer, large caliber bullet thru the faceplate). Just remove B+ and wait ~30 seconds and then reconnect.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:12 AM
356driver
Racer

Slight correction to my earlier statement. Fuses 9-12 in the left fuse box are for various entertainment system components, not just the head unit. It seems easier to remove fuses than to disconnect the battery so that's the way I'd go. Pull the fuses to power the thing down, wait 30 seconds, re-install the fuses, then see if the components re-register themselves on the MOST bus.
(That's the Porsche version of CTL-ALT-DEL.)

Quick Reply: System Error: Amplifier. CD CHanger not avaliable