Sponsored by:

star chip on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:03 AM
andypandy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default star chip on windshield

My new Cay( not even a month old) got a rock chip driving behind semi truck.
Should I replace the whole thing or get it fixed(glass weld?) Anyone have experience ?

Also, I stopped the semi truck and their safety officer is going to call me soon. I don't know if they gonna pay but ... Oh, well.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:49 AM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the way home from buying ours, we got a rock chip right in the line of site. You could almost see the thing grow. Tried the repair and the tech said he would replace the windshield if we were not happy. After a couple of minutes of looking at it we had it replaced. Had one repaired once and you couldn't tell it. Not this time.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I got a rock chip two weeks ago after about 32k on the vehicle. I went and had it repaired. It is on the passenger side and does not interfere with visibility. They did a nice job but if it was in my line of vision I would have had it replaced. Having had windshields replaced in the past on other vehicles it can be amazing the difference when the windshield is pretty old. I would wait and replace later if you can get a decent repair.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:13 PM
andypandy
Track Day

My star chip is smaller than quatersize and it in the center of the upper windshield. I called around and found glas-weld system place in my town. Guy was really nice on the phone and my insurance will cover it. And it's only $59. I think I'll go in today.

Thanks for replies , I'll update after the fix.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:08 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Depends on how big it is but if it's small and you fix it quickly it usually works pretty well if not right in your line of sight. Of course, Murphy's Law would state it will hit DIRECTLY in front of you! Had one fixed on a 993 you could barely see after the fix. Another in a Audi A4 began growing before I had a chance to fix it and the winshield had to be replaced. They've gotten pretty good at doing mobile repairs in your driveway, but it still makes you nervous... When it's out though, you can do a real nice job of running the power cord to your Valentine One under the headliner!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:22 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had 2 repaired and don't really notice them anymore. Cost like 40 each.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:26 PM
andypandy
Track Day

Just came back from Glas-weld System, to my surprise this turned out to be their main corporate office and technical trainer himself (Dave) fixed it for me! what a nice job he did. I am very pleased!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you went the repair route. I have had many, many windshields repaired over the years on my BMWs and have never had a problem. It's cheap to have done, you don't lose use of the car for more than an hour, and you don't have to mess with the window seals which can leak if the job is not done correctly.

Quick Reply: star chip on windshield