Sponsored by:

Fuel Consumption Comparison for S against Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:47 PM
sirees01
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Consumption Comparison for S against Turbo

My wife drives a CT which she absolutely adores.

The BIG problem is the price of fuel here in the UK £4.00+ a gallon
She has put in £170 of fuel in the last 7 days which is absolutely nuts.

This led us to think about putting in the Turbo for an S, but the figures that Porsche suggest for Fuel consumption for the S don't seem to be much improved against the Turbo.

How does this fair in the real world ?

Porsche Figures

S = Urban 13.5mpg/Ex Urban 25.2mpg/Combined 19.0mpg
Turbo = Urban 12.9mpg/Ex Urban 23.7mpg/Combined 18.0mpg

If these figures are correct then I will stick with the Turbo as it is not worth thinking about changing.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:52 PM
MBailey
Instructor

I dont think it would be worth changing to an S. Unless you want to go to something much smaller I would stick with the turbo.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:33 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Turbo. The car's killing me. $120 to fill it up 3/4, and because of my commuting, I have to fill it up every day. And that isn't even bringing up the oil.

And as for the Porsche figures... they're bollox. I don't know what it is in mpg (conversion please someone), but my consumption ranges from 29l/100km to 36l/100km... I think you'll find that that's single figures...

Ever thought of changing to a RX400h? (I know it won't handle, but it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper)...
Old 10-11-2005, 06:20 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 590 Posts

FWIW my son has some friends with a new Lexus hybrid and it doesn't get that much better mileage than their older similiar regular gas Lexus SUV... I also see where the Ford Escape hybrid also doesn't do that much better. Seems like a lot of fuss for little gain. What would work the best is the V10 turbo diesel from the Toureg except they had some problems with it when first brought over here last year. I don't think our higher sulfur content diesel fuel is good enough for it. I almost got a diesel Toureg instead of the Cayenne, but just couldn't bring myself to pay as much for a VW as for a Porsche...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:01 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Real World no big difference Sirees almost the same, I had all 3 models.
I'll keep the turbo, or yet you can try the turbo diesel Touareg..but if your wife says Porsche only, stick with the turbo
Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by skl
I also see where the Ford Escape hybrid also doesn't do that much better. Seems like a lot of fuss for little gain.
Almost bought my daugher an Escape Hybrid (16th birthday/permit present) but settled on the std 4 cylinder engine instead. The hybrid has the same highway MPG (since at highway speed the vehicle is 100% gas engine powered, albeit with a CVT rather than a conventional automatic), but the city MPG is higher, since it runs on 100% battery until 25mph).
The Escape was the first "true" hybrid, being able to run completely on battery and then switch.
Originally Posted by skl
What would work the best is the V10 turbo diesel from the Toureg except they had some problems with it when first brought over here last year. I don't think our higher sulfur content diesel fuel is good enough for it. I almost got a diesel Toureg instead of the Cayenne, but just couldn't bring myself to pay as much for a VW as for a Porsche...
I would have bought the V10 TDI. Did you happen to see Top Gear when they did the V10 TDI Touareg towing a tree...550ft-lb torque...very impressive.
Equally impressive was the Audi A8L TDI which got 40mpg on an 800 mile round trip Top Gear episode.
(love Top Gear and my DVR!).

Originally Posted by skl
but just couldn't bring myself to pay as much for a VW as for a Porsche......
And that is why the $80,000 VW Phateon died a private death here in the US....although you can buy a new one for $50K from a dealer who is still sitting on one....not a bad car, probably one of the nicest interiors you'll ever sit in.....and yes, I've been inside/driven the Mercedes Maybach....long story, dinner in Germany, grab a company car out of the 'pool', call the wife and ask her to guess where I'm calling here from....that back seat in that car with the 18way power adjustable seat is incredible.

Of course in a few years time, there will be little difference between a VAG and PAG car......
Old 10-12-2005, 02:36 AM
DEETZ22
Racer

not worthed to move to a S, get the V6 its much more fuel efficient.

I get 9mpg on my car (S) and 8mpg on gf's car (turbo). All city driving, used to drive quite aggresive due to being late but I cut it down alot since I took a ride in my friend's x5 3.0 that is so much more fuel efficient, so I drive the car and keep it below 2k rpm and let it roll, and guess what? I still get a bad consumption. I've only tried it on the turbo and I got 9.1mpg LOL!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:06 AM
sirees01
Track Day

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess we'll stick with the Turbo then, pretty much what I figured out.

We didn't want to get rid of the Cayenne for another vehicle because it rocks, it's just so blooming thirsty.

I guess the price at the pump is starting to hit everyone hard & making people think twice.

Do you think Porsche will put the V10 TDI into the Cayenne ( don't flame me for mentioning Porsche & Diesel in the same sentence please)
Old 10-12-2005, 05:34 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rumors are that Porsche is looking at a Hybrid for the Cayenne, but I think the Hybrids (unless you really stay out of the throttle and tool around town) are not much better than their all gas counterparts.

Go get an Audi Q7 with the diesel option. That should be a nice car (but I'll keep my Exclamation Point Cayenne thank ya)...
Old 10-12-2005, 06:05 AM
426H
Advanced

I get 16-17 mpg (14-15 l/100km) normal driving and 13 mpg (19 l/100 km) when towing a 5000 lbs (2200 kg) boat.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sirees01
Do you think Porsche will put the V10 TDI into the Cayenne ( don't flame me for mentioning Porsche & Diesel in the same sentence please)
The answer is NO; the resultant fallout of an argument (very heated meeting) between VAG and PAG regarding chassis/unibody royalities over the 'stretched Cayenne' and Audi 'Pikes Peak/Q7'. There will be a Pikes Peak/Q7 (as long as Nissan allows them to use "Q", there will NOT be a stretched Cayenne, and along with it the demise of the diesel in a Porsche Cayenne.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 PM
JGriff
Racer

I checked my trip computer today for average consumption... 19.0 mpg.

That result is primarily from non-highway miles... a 12 mile one-way commute on a back route mostly in a straight line... with only a few traffic lights... in Tiptronic mode... shifting around 4000 rpm.

Not bad, IMHO... given all that the Cayenne has to offer.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

how the hell do you guys get really good mpg? its unfair!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 PM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by DEETZ22
V6!!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:37 AM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEETZ22
The MPG meter in the dash seems to not really tell the whole story...try this if you have PCM go on a trip (even through the city) then when you get back home hit the Trip button on the NAV. I find that even on pretty short trips with some agressive driving I can average about 14-15mpg with my turbo

Quick Reply: Fuel Consumption Comparison for S against Turbo