Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Delays, Buyer beware.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 10:44 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Delays, Buyer beware.........

I purchased my 2004 TT in 12/03. Since my purchase, I have waited for parts as follows;
1st Problem: Wire hareness shorted out. Waited approx. 1 month .
2nd Problem: July 3rd, 2005, Lady ran a red light and hit me. Caused frt. side curtain airbag to deploy. Head liner just arrived and Seat cover ETA is November 28, 2005

At this point I blame the body shop (affiliate of my Porsche dealer), the Porsche Dealer and Porsche. All three parties share the blame in this delay but ultimately Porsche is at fault (The Mayor, the Governor, Fema and the Pres.......). This is absolutely inexcusable. a $100K vehicle and it sits waiting for parts to date approx. 120 days out of 635, or about 19% of my ownership. This does not include the current wait for the damn seat cover!!!

I absolutely love driving the vehicle. Which makes it that much more frustating not having it.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:43 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dchoutx
I purchased my 2004 TT in 12/03. This is absolutely inexcusable. a $100K vehicle and it sits waiting for parts to date approx. 120 days out of 635, or about 19% of my ownership. This does not include the current wait for the damn seat cover!!! I absolutely love driving the vehicle. Which makes it that much more frustating not having it.
Another owner posted a similar story about excessive "down" time. I would insist from the person who hit you's insurance company, the lease or car payment for the time it was in the shop in addition to the repairs. If you paid cash, then I'm not sure you couldn't still insist on some type of payment. For the warranty work, you need to weigh the plus/minus of pushing your dealer on this, but at a minimum you should have had a loaner the entire time and some loss of use compensation due to the length of the delay on the wire harness. Best of Luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:43 PM
hamiam
Instructor

I had a similar problem. My radio reception was terrible and I found out I needed antenna booster (i think that's what it was called). I brought my CS to Manhattan Motor Cars where it sat for a week until I finally just said f- it and pick it up. That was a few months ago and I still havent gotten the call from MMC that the part is in. They are terrible anyways.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:18 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Has anyone been able to get Porsche DE or NA's attention??

The more I talk to people, these kind of delays are par for the course. Other owners as well as Porsche dealers concur that PORSCHE SUPPORT SUCKS.......It reminds of my Touareg experience which I owned for about 6 months and sold back to VW for 100% of my cost incl. TT&L. Birds of a feather..........

Is there a vehicle out there that comes close to performing as well as the Cayenne Turbo but is sold w/ real support (a la Lexus)???
Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Seat cover was supposed to ship this week. As you would expect, Porsche system does not allow for confirmation of shipment nor any means to track it.
'You vil vate and like it'.

It may appear, may not. Almost 20% down waiting for parts. Oh well, que sera, sera...............
Old 10-07-2005, 10:03 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry your having these problems. I will try and remember that they can order the part (for any future problems) but I want my car back till the part arrives!
Old 10-08-2005, 09:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you asked the questions, it seems only fair for you to get responses.....

The brief answer to your question would be No. However, if an owner was able to get PCNA/PAG's LEGAL attention and the matter were resolved, it is likely they would be unlikely to share the experience due to non-disclosure agreements signed as part of the resolution.
You are of course invited to pursue the arbitration option available to you and described in detail in your warranty/owner manual documentation set provided with the vehicle

The more I talk to people, these kind of delays are par for the course. Other owners as well as Porsche dealers concur that PORSCHE SUPPORT SUCKS......
Dealers are at the mercy of PCNA's rules regarding parts replacement and ordering (especially for warranty coverage issues). PAG has made a conscious decision regarding inventory control and built to order items from their suppliers; all in an effort to maximize profits and remain independent....all other priorities are secondary.

It reminds of my Touareg experience which I owned for about 6 months and sold back to VW for 100% of my cost incl. TT&L. Birds of a feather................
Well considering that PAG is acquiring a 20% stake in VAG and that most all of the electronics (IP, telematics, climate, infotainment) are Audi units (take a Cayenne apart sometime and look) and that it is a Touareg unibody, your 'Birds of a feather' analogy may be correct.

Is there a vehicle out there that comes close to performing as well as the Cayenne Turbo but is sold w/ real support (a la Lexus)???
According to the vast majority of the members of this forum (a.k.a. Defenders of the Cayenne Faithful), the answer is NO. Their contention is that there is NO other vehicle ANYWHERE on the planet which can compare to the Cayenne (Turbo).

From a legal perspective, may I please ask you:
Who held a gun to your head and forced you to buy this vehicle?
Do you think you were misled regarding the vehicle's reliability and/or availability of spare parts?
Is anyone forcing you to keep the vehicle?
Have you pursued other options (aforementioned arbitration, filing suit under your local/district laws regarding consumer protection, a.k.a. lemon laws, written a letter to the President of PCNA, demanded compensation (perhaps a 6yr/100K warranty perhaps) for the loss use of the vehicle)?

Very sorry to hear of your problems and I wish you the best of luck going forward.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:10 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Sorry your having these problems. I will try and remember that they can order the part (for any future problems) but I want my car back till the part arrives!
That's fine if it's not a mechanical or safety issue that renders the vehicle inoperable. The Head Liner and Seat cover are integral parts of the airbag deployment system.

Good luck...........
Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
From a legal perspective, may I please ask you:
Who held a gun to your head and forced you to buy this vehicle?
This is my first Porsche. Up until recently Porsche had consistently ranked at or near the top of customer satisfaction surveys. I shelled out close to $100K based on the Porsche name and reputation. With that in mind, I also had reasonable expectations of a modern manufacturers ability to support what they sell.
Originally Posted by ltc
Do you think you were misled regarding the vehicle's reliability and/or availability of spare parts?
Frankly my biggest concern was about quality and reliability on a fairly new vehicle. Given the high tech/Fedex age we are in, I never figured the geniuses at Porsche could not provide their new vehicles with basic and fundamental support. I have been in the machinery distribution business for many yrs. The only time I have run into such parts delays was when a certain manufacturer was on the verge of bankruptcy and their vendors were selling on COD terms. I do not believe that this is Porsche's problem. However, Porsche's parts availability is what you would expect from a third world manufacturer, not like that of a modern engineering leader.
Originally Posted by ltc
Is anyone forcing you to keep the vehicle?
The vehicle has been at the shop (in parts) for over ninety days. It is not to easy to sell a car that is not driveable. About one month ago I asked the Porsche dealer to put a trade number on the vehicle. They agreed to look at it and get back to me with an offer. I am still waiting for that offer.......

Originally Posted by ltc
Have you pursued other options (aforementioned arbitration, filing suit under your local/district laws regarding consumer protection, a.k.a. lemon laws, written a letter to the President of PCNA, demanded compensation (perhaps a 6yr/100K warranty perhaps) for the loss use of the vehicle)?
I was hoping to get this resolved without going to war with them. I have been to busy to focus on this. It may come to any or all of your suggestions. Thank you for your input.

Last edited by dchoutx; 10-09-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:42 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

The more I talk to people, these kind of delays are par for the course. Other owners as well as Porsche dealers concur that PORSCHE SUPPORT SUCKS.......It reminds of my Touareg experience which I owned for about 6 months and sold back to VW for 100% of my cost incl. TT&L. Birds of a feather..........

I'm sorry with all your problems. Did you yourself contacted Porsche? Maybe that;s part of the problem. I want to see that you're doing your end of the bargain. I would only consider it lemon, if they never fixed the wire harness short, but they did. So all of this youre waiting for are cause by the accident and if you dont fight them now they can say that it was an accident, it wasnt an issue of the car not performing properly, it's not their fault the parts are not available.
The way I see it you can only sue the body shop, it;s their responsibility to keep searching for those parts. Also what is your insurance doing? They should've been so concerned already with this amount of wait, that's rediculous!

Also if this happened to me, i will not settle for a seat cover, I will fight my insurance for a new seat.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:52 AM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alex911s
Did you yourself contacted Porsche? Maybe that;s part of the problem. I want to see that you're doing your end of the bargain.
The Porsche dealer would not give me contact details for the area rep. nor Porsche NA. I had to find Porsche NA on my own. Once I got a live person on the phone they referred me back to the GM of my dealer. I also sent an e-mail to Porsche in Germany (no reply at all).
It's not their fault the parts are not available.
I take issue with that. The shop is an affiliate of the Porsche dealer. Porsche and the dealer have an obligation to supply parts, particularly for a current model vehicle. Hell, Porsche can pull them from production if need be. However that might delay the sale of a new vehicle, god forbid......
Also if this happened to me, i will not settle for a seat cover, I will fight my insurance for a new seat.
To each his own. I am a pretty reasonable guy, I pick my battles. The Insurance company is pressuring the shop. The shop is blaming Porsche. The dealer is blaming Porsche. The Ins. company is now insisting that the shop and/or Porsche participate in the rental costs. While visiting my vehicle last wk, I was shown a Turbo Carrera that has been at the body shop since March '05 (parts delays).........My rental fees to date are approaching $5K. Crap like this will drive the Insurance premiums (and blood pressure) higher for all owners of Porsche vehicles.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:04 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

......... While visiting my vehicle last wk, I was shown a Turbo Carrera that has been at the body shop since March '05 (parts delays).........My rental fees to date are approaching $5K. Crap like this will drive the Insurance premiums (and blood pressure) higher for all owners of Porsche vehicles.
Still hold to my position and then some....What a-holes<@ The dealer you're using is totally unacceptable.. they have the cajones to show you one that has been there 6 months as a reason to "not complain?". I would send a certified letter stating what you expect them to do and then get a lawyer... I've read about the 'tude that some dealers and PAG have.. they only way you're going to get things moving is being professional and legal. "there but by the grace of God go I" applies here.. I'm thankful for a great dealer and only "glitches" because apparently PAG will assume what we Americans view as German arrogance. "you vill vate for zee partz and be patient becauze vee are zee bezt vehicle in zee vorld" You are right about getting the freaking part off the assembly line and fedex it to the U.S. And PAG should pay for the rental.. your insurance company should sue PAG for that as well. Other than that I have no strong opinions<@
Old 10-10-2005, 06:06 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MadFox
What a-holes<@ The dealer you're using is totally unacceptable.. they have the cajones to show you one that has been there 6 months as a reason to "not complain?". I would send a certified letter stating what you expect them to do and then get a lawyer... I've read about the 'tude that some dealers and PAG have..
The body shop is an affiliate of the Porsche dealer, not legally one in the same co.(same parent co. though) and located a block away from each other. The body shop has to procure the parts from the Porsche dealer. You can imagine the communication and finger pointing nightmare. BTW-The same parent owns both Porsche dealers in town.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

The body shop is an affiliate of the Porsche dealer, not legally one in the same co.(same parent co. though) and located a block away from each other. The body shop has to procure the parts from the Porsche dealer. You can imagine the communication and finger pointing nightmare. BTW-The same parent owns both Porsche dealers in town.

Damn that's terrible man. I'm very sorry to hear this. I can imagine the pinpointing, damn
Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

Damn that's terrible man. I'm very sorry to hear this. I can imagine the pinpointing, damn
Yeah, another brilliant move by Porsche. The 2 dealers in town are owned by the same co. No competition always hurts the consumer whether its sales or support. Hello.........

Quick Reply: Parts Delays, Buyer beware.........