Sponsored by:

Alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Zin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alarm question

I have a question about the ultrasonic alarm. The "dictionary" says that the alarm should sound and the lights should flash if motion is detected on the interior once the doors are locked. I read also if you press the lock button twice on the fob it disengages the ultrasonic function and just locks the doors. Of course , being a new owner I had to try it. So, I grab my wife and the dog and make them sit in the CS, hit the lock button once and wait. Nothing happens. I flail my arms around, so my wife flails about, the dog jumps up and down. The signal lamps flash, but no alarm horn. So, I unlock and relock, this time hitting the key fob twice (per the instructions), again...flail arms, wife flails arm, dog jumps up and down. Nothing happens. No flash, no alarm.
I checked the manual settings in the computer and the sensors are turned on for the motions and the incline.

So why no horn sounding and just lights flashing? I tried the horn and it works!

Anyone? Is this normal. Am I crazy? Are my wife and dog not effective in setting off the horn? Hmmm......
Old 09-19-2005, 04:55 AM
reubstarr
Intermediate

Default Ultrasonic alarm

With your alarm system activated and someone inside . The alarm tunes itself to whether someone is inside or not. If the parameters are set to a certain amount of room(nobody inside) then when someone is inside it notes the difference. So it detunes the sensitivity and the alarm function is switched off.
The lights should flash though. On 911 or boxster when you leave the roof down the same thing occurs. The reasoning behind it is that no one really wants to keep running out to their car when the alarm goes off when the dog is going hypo in the car.
The only area in the car that is not sonared(If thats a word) is the boot space. So take note when doing the shopping don't leave keys in the boot and close the tailgate because when it passively locks and you haven't got the spare key its not gonna be a fun day.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Zin
Instructor

So what does the alarm sound like? What will set of the horn? I know this sounds like a stupid question, however I had the dealership check it out and they re-confirmed that when the motion sensors are disrupted inside the vehicle you will only get flashing lights.
Anyone ever tested the alarm to get the horns to sound?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

The alarm should sound. I had the alarm set with the windows down - a woman parked next to me an must have activated the sensors.. scared the crap out of her.

Just set the alarm wait a few second and stick your hand in an open window.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Zin
Instructor

Shamus...
Did that multiple times. No sounds, just flashing lights?!?!?!?!?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Happened to me again today at the post office - you clearly should be getting a horn alarm.

I would suggest either something is wrong with your alarm horn (there are 2 horns IIRC...one for the alarm and one for Boston Traffic) or you have the ultasound disabled in the comfort setting of the menu system - Since the lights flash and you said you checked it - i would guess the former. Have you looked in the fusebox to make sure all is ok there?

If you set the locking confirmation to horn in the menu do you get a confirmation "toot" when you lock?

Last edited by Shamus; 10-01-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Zin
Instructor

I am now convinced that the horn for the alarm is not working. Checked everything out, also did the simple test of hitting the panic button, got no alarm sound, just lights flash.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:25 PM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zin
I flail my arms around, so my wife flails about, the dog jumps up and down. The signal lamps flash, but no alarm horn.
LOL Can you send some video of this skit?? So Funny !!!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Zin
Instructor

I'd have to charge admission.

Quick Reply: Alarm question