Sponsored by:

CEL - tank vent line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
SDSmith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL - tank vent line?

Hello. I'm a 997 owner, but my friend has Cayenne S. She's had all of the recalls done at one point or another and currently has 2 outstanding issues. The check engine light came on a coupe weeks ago and dealer diagnosed the problem as 'tank vent line' - - of course part is backordered for 2-3 weeks. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can't imagine what this issue is. Does this line run underneath the car to a charcoal canister or something?

She has also had the silver door trim replaced 3 times now - - its keeps falling off. I know there was a recall. I personally think the dealer is incompetent and is not installing it correctly. Does anyone have a picture of the backside of the trim as it comes from Porsche? I think the last time the dealer did the repair its looks like they installed it with 2 sided tape they bought at the local Staples - - could not have been factory recommended installation.

Thanks.

-Stephen
Old 08-30-2005, 12:23 PM
bigdog
Advanced

i had the same problem with my pepper,,,thay had to replace the whole gas tank,,which of course was not in the united states so the dealership had my truck for 15 days ,,and they had to take apart the whole suspesion,,and exhaust ,,and take apart the axels ,,basically the whole rear of car very upsetting,,, i hope urs problem is easier than mine,,,i have to go ,,i have to take the truck back to the dealer ,,i feel like i live there,,,have fun,,,Eddie
Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM
356driver
Racer

Improper tank ventilation is one of the conditions that will set off the check engine light. So it is plausible the vent line is the culprit.

Three unsuccessful tries to mount a piece of door trim? Have them use a few big strips of duct tape - that'll hold it. Seriously, there is no excuse for this.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:53 PM
SDSmith
Advanced

Sooo....... her Cayenne finally went back to the dealer this past Monday to address the problem. Gets call today....part still not in...oh and guess what bigdog, they need to replace the entire gas tank not just a vent line. And so she waits.....hopefully the parts arrive this week. Who engineered these vehicles?? I hope the quality control is better on my new 997 (the car already has some creaks and groans at times over bumps....serenity now...serenity now...serenity now..).
Old 09-16-2005, 11:24 AM
bigdog
Advanced

smith ,,i had waited 15 days (not including weekends ,,for my truck ,,so i hope they gave u a good loaner car ,,b/c u are gunna be in irr for a while, good luck
Old 09-16-2005, 02:47 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lucky so far with 17K miles...

and I do LUV my "Pepper"!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 PM
SDSmith
Advanced

biddog - - did the dealer fill your new gas tank for free as part of the repair? Wondering whether Porsche would pick up the tab. I know when I had the rod bearings replaced in my '02 BMW M3, BMW specifically included filling the gas tank in the tech bulliten and paid for it as a gesture of goodwill.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 AM
bigdog
Advanced

well when i recieved my truck ,,i got it back with the same amount of gas that was in it ,,infortunatly my tank was full so i wouldn;t know ,,but they should b/c the testing they have to do for any leaks,,so they would have to put something tell them to make sure it was prope rly filled

Quick Reply: CEL - tank vent line?