Sponsored by:

Decided against cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:40 AM
porsche3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided against cayenne

Planned on getting a used cs, I would have preferred a new one but since the restyle is out in 07, figured it's better than taking a hit on resale.
Went to check out the LR3, didn't even know they had a 6 cylinder, drove it, and think we'll pickup a rover instead. The LR3-6 stickers at about 38k with a premium package 3k total msrp will be in 41k range. That's not a bad deal. Quieter than the c6 we test drove. Since I have no faith in rover reliability, will do a short term lease and make sure dealer I buy from have free repair loaners.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche3
Planned on getting a used cs, I would have preferred a new one but since the restyle is out in 07, figured it's better than taking a hit on resale. Went to check out the LR3, didn't even know they had a 6 cylinder, drove it, and think we'll pickup a rover instead. The LR3-6 stickers at about 38k with a premium package 3k total msrp will be in 41k range. That's not a bad deal. Quieter than the c6 we test drove. Since I have no faith in rover reliability, will do a short term lease and make sure dealer I buy from have free repair loaners.
And your reason for sharing this was??????
a. I have "thick" skin and still haven't bought the LR3 and want to be talked out of it, thus the post.
b. I have "thin" skin and am ready to "rip" those who tell me I'm stupid for going Land Rover, because I am prepared for the onslaught from the Cayenne owner forum devotees.
c. I am limited to around 41K and can't get what I want on a Cayenne V6 and certainly not on a S or TT.
d. I thought this was a forum for non-owners who just like to bitch about the Cayenne if they ever bought one.
e. Unknown, bored tonight.
f. All of the above, I have multiple personality disorder!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mistake!

I have owned many Rovers ( Range, Discovery and Defender) extensively tested the LR3 and its OK but does not handle or perform anything like a Cayenne. Compare the RR to the Cayenne, The RR only wins in one category..size.

I suggest you forget about $, go back and drive them again. The Cayenne restyle will be minor and if you look at depreciation history, Land Rover is the absolute worst (ask me how I know).

Don't take any offense, I'm just giving you my opinion since you seem to asking for comment!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:35 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

He's gone, he wants a "jeep" to troll around in and actually considered the Cayenne to be in the same category....WRONG
Old 08-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

These are the pitfalls of having an suv in the Porsche line-up. For better or worse it attracts "non-traditional" Porsche customers. Value is the most often cited problem for those choosing a Toureg, LR3, or anything else for that matter. The Cayenne isn't for these folks anyway. If you can not appreciate what the Cayenne does on the road, the extra cost is lost on you, and this applies to MANY drivers out there. That is why there are other choices, to satisfy other needs. I wanted the utility of an suv with awd, solid build quality, some speed, and a unique and entertaining driving experience at the same time. In that context the Cayenne kills the competition. I was willing, as all of us were, the pay for that experience. Most just don't "get it" and that is fine with me.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:21 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

A rover?? you tard.

Can we please block him out.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
... f. All of the above, I have multiple personality disorder!
my guess would be "f".

fwiw: last year i did some advertising work on the "rr-sport" in prep for the launch & it still pales in comparison to the cayenne (& that was the sport!). drive'em back to back & see... i like my cars to handle great @ high rates of speed in the twisties imo - the cayenne kicks rover ***.

& re: the my07-thing... who gives a rats. resale? bahhhhhhh . i'd rather drive the car of my choice now, who knows what the future brings?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:30 AM
DFWX
Racer

What an odd post. "I was going to buy an outstanding Porsche, but decided instead to buy cheaper." You could make even a better deal on a Ford Explorer. Those are really piling up on the lots and you could save another $10K.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:57 PM
fast lane
Racer

the lr3 is not even in the same league as a cs. I drove a friends once, I felt like I was driving a telephone booth down the road! BAD CHOICE!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:40 PM
JimG
Instructor

Had a 2001 Disco II on a lease for 39 months, great deal for $399 a month plus tax. Went thru about $14k in warranty work, dealer actually talked me out of buying it at the end of the lease so I traded it for the boxster. Dealer (where I leased the truck) customer service was horrible, other dealer in town not so bad. Off road capability was better than anything else I have driven. On road it handled like a sailboat (lots of heeling and took forever to turn around).
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Land Rovers, Ford Edges, '73 Chevy Vegas....all excellent Cayenne replacements. Oh yeah, also that early airplane thing that was like an umbrella that hopped up and down. All good.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Digging up the dead from August of 2005?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:55 PM
cthronson
AutoX

This might be a good entre for my first post as a Cayenne owner. A little background, since it is a cold winter's day here in Salt lake, and the Bears game is over...

A long-time Porscheophile ( I was like the kid in the classroom ad, looking out the window when the new 997 drove by, except for me it was the 356). In '98 I bought a 993 C4S, and later a 993 Targa. A number of posts over in the 993 section. Sold both to get the first customer-ordered 997 in Utah. Sold that.

But with 3 kids, the problem was always room, and utility. So to take care of that problem, I got a 2001 LX 470, which up until recently was the best all-around vehicle for my needs that I had ever owned--rock solid reliable, almost unstoppable over 2-3,000 miles off road, towed anything I owned.

Still, there was that ache...

To be honest, when the Cayenne first came out, I really didn't like it all that much (like probably many of you, I would guess). To my eye it looked ungainly, oddly proportioned. It was never "How could Porsche ever build an SUV?!?" with me. I figured any company named after a guy who designed farm tractors and Tiger tank turrets could probably do an SUV.

Over the years, the look grew on me, so when it came time to replace the LX, the Cayenne S was on the short list. Along with the Mercedes ML, GL, the Q7 and the Range Rover. Mountains of brochures followed, along with test drives, test reports, chat rooms on obscure Eastern Block websites, etc.

I have already waxed loquacious too long on this, but in brief the ML was a pretty good road car and a big improvement over the previous model, so my wife got that. The GL pretty much the same, but seemed to be a direct competitor to a Surburban (which is fine--I have had one of those) but I wanted something more sports-oriented. The Q7--well, maybe pretty good but didn't do it for me, and I am still getting used to Audi's design direction for the grill. How much larger can it get, I think to myself.

So with great trepidation, armed with stacks of owner complaints, massive warranty claims and damning JD Power surveys, I walked into the Rover shop. On the floor were was a RR and a RR Sport, and no salesman in sight. Perfect, some time alone with these units. Sat in the RR, looked around, touched this and that, modestly impressed, and then I opened the glove box.

As if on cue, the entire glove box assembly fell out of the dash and onto the floor. It had been held in place by some kind of tape, and now lay in ruins.

I fled, skipping the RR "Sport," and hoping that they had not copied down my license number.

I finally slunk back into the Porsche dealership, embarrassed that I had ever doubted the faith (and grateful for you Alpha and Beta owners whose sacrifices improved the breed) and drove out with a CTTS, Titanium, black interior, panoramic roof, Sirius, rear-view camera and a few other things.

So now I have a new "Best Car I have ever Owned." No problems, no complaints, 18 mpg on the computer during break-in on a combined highway and city trip (which drops dramatically when the hammer goes down) good in snow with Pirelli Scorpions, tows with utter ease...

But a few questions for the group: First, I don't have rear air, but do have rear vents in the center console. Dummies (or am I the dummy) because I can get nothing to come out of them. Second, I have had a "service in 300 miles" note come up, and now at 3000 miles it says "Service Now." Nothing in the Maintenence manual, so my guess is that this is a routine check=up on a new vehicle, or there is a problem. Thoughts?

Anyway, nice to join the fold once again.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Best of luck and happy journeys with your new CTTS. After the bugs have been worked out on my CTT I have grown to appreciate the breed more than ever. Nothing yet compares.
Welcome aboard.

Originally Posted by cthronson
This might be a good entre for my first post as a Cayenne owner. A little background, since it is a cold winter's day here in Salt lake, and the Bears game is over...

A long-time Porscheophile ( I was like the kid in the classroom ad, looking out the window when the new 997 drove by, except for me it was the 356). In '98 I bought a 993 C4S, and later a 993 Targa. A number of posts over in the 993 section. Sold both to get the first customer-ordered 997 in Utah. Sold that.

But with 3 kids, the problem was always room, and utility. So to take care of that problem, I got a 2001 LX 470, which up until recently was the best all-around vehicle for my needs that I had ever owned--rock solid reliable, almost unstoppable over 2-3,000 miles off road, towed anything I owned.

Still, there was that ache...

To be honest, when the Cayenne first came out, I really didn't like it all that much (like probably many of you, I would guess). To my eye it looked ungainly, oddly proportioned. It was never "How could Porsche ever build an SUV?!?" with me. I figured any company named after a guy who designed farm tractors and Tiger tank turrets could probably do an SUV.

Over the years, the look grew on me, so when it came time to replace the LX, the Cayenne S was on the short list. Along with the Mercedes ML, GL, the Q7 and the Range Rover. Mountains of brochures followed, along with test drives, test reports, chat rooms on obscure Eastern Block websites, etc.

I have already waxed loquacious too long on this, but in brief the ML was a pretty good road car and a big improvement over the previous model, so my wife got that. The GL pretty much the same, but seemed to be a direct competitor to a Surburban (which is fine--I have had one of those) but I wanted something more sports-oriented. The Q7--well, maybe pretty good but didn't do it for me, and I am still getting used to Audi's design direction for the grill. How much larger can it get, I think to myself.

So with great trepidation, armed with stacks of owner complaints, massive warranty claims and damning JD Power surveys, I walked into the Rover shop. On the floor were was a RR and a RR Sport, and no salesman in sight. Perfect, some time alone with these units. Sat in the RR, looked around, touched this and that, modestly impressed, and then I opened the glove box.

As if on cue, the entire glove box assembly fell out of the dash and onto the floor. It had been held in place by some kind of tape, and now lay in ruins.

I fled, skipping the RR "Sport," and hoping that they had not copied down my license number.

I finally slunk back into the Porsche dealership, embarrassed that I had ever doubted the faith (and grateful for you Alpha and Beta owners whose sacrifices improved the breed) and drove out with a CTTS, Titanium, black interior, panoramic roof, Sirius, rear-view camera and a few other things.

So now I have a new "Best Car I have ever Owned." No problems, no complaints, 18 mpg on the computer during break-in on a combined highway and city trip (which drops dramatically when the hammer goes down) good in snow with Pirelli Scorpions, tows with utter ease...

But a few questions for the group: First, I don't have rear air, but do have rear vents in the center console. Dummies (or am I the dummy) because I can get nothing to come out of them. Second, I have had a "service in 300 miles" note come up, and now at 3000 miles it says "Service Now." Nothing in the Maintenence manual, so my guess is that this is a routine check=up on a new vehicle, or there is a problem. Thoughts?

Anyway, nice to join the fold once again.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Rider1
Advanced

Originally Posted by QKENUFF
Best of luck and happy journeys with your new CTTS. After the bugs have been worked out on my CTT I have grown to appreciate the breed more than ever. Nothing yet compares.
Welcome aboard.
ML63 compares quite well actually Enjoy your CTTS cthronson!

Dave

Quick Reply: Decided against cayenne