ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mudman2
You crack me up !

:-)
Thanks, although I sometimes miss the mark, I do try and keep things lively in here....sometimes it's a bit too bland.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RJay
I'm afraid to ask...
Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

If you have sufficient PeptoBismol in the house, are not allergic to shellfish and do not get motion sick, please feel free to continue reading at your own risk......

There are some "issues" with the integrated bulb detection circuitry built into the Cayenne as extended to the 7pin Pollack trailer connection.

In a nutshell, depending on the type of lighting load you present to the Cayenne at the 7pin connector, you will end up driving around with a "!" Check Trailer Lights warning permanently emblazened on your dashboard. Of course when you really DO have a trailer lighting issue, the warning will disappear and you will drive at night with no trailer lighting.

LED's appear to be out; my 20' Cargopro enclosed aluminum (purchased from Atlantic Coast in Charlton...good guys) is full LED. Myself and JFScheck have LED trailers, same problem.
Too many (how many is too many, Porsche doesn't know) standard incandescents can do the same thing; ask skl, he has an 18' ATC aluminum enclosed with standard incandescent and he has to unscrew a few running/marker lights....otherwise his headlights go out in response to the 'fault' condition.

On a positive note, prior to the first recall/TSB/service action for this condition (W406 IIRC), you would get the BEEP "!" Check Trailer Lights message EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU STEPPED ON THE BRAKE! So, things have improved.

BTW, NONE of this is covered ANYWHERE in the Porsche sales or service documentation, NOTHING in the owner's manual...not even in the 'Warning Display Messages' section. Nada, zippo.

In doubt, don't be. I am an electrical engineer (with a genius level IQ (yes, and some 'people skills' issues as well)) who has designed automotive electronics and has a European patent pending on this technique applied to NOT lighting......so trust me when I know exactly what went wrong in the design assumption phase at PAG and subsequent design and fabrication at Westfalia.

Now, if you will all excuse me, it's time to mix up a batch of Purplesaurus Rex, the OFFICIAL drink of the Rennlist DE forum, and try very hard to forget that I actually own this vehicle.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that you mention it, weren't we promised a new High Power (300mW) control unit.

I bet the 06's have it ! time to take the !!!!!! to town again I think !

Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, what did happen to that new control unit?

Wish me luck guys, that drawing for a chance to purchase the PCA Porsche is just 1 day and a wake up away...

Was towing the trailer today getting it ready for a trip this weekend... Boy, I need a double...

That's better... So yes, she did a great job towing the trailer, just wish that damn "!" would go away...
Old 08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Hey Chris long time no hear !
Hi Mike...Not much too bitch about with the CT other than to strum the violin on my relatively minor vibration issue. Other than that, it's been great and NO Oil consumption unlike many other turbo owners. Focus has shifted to the GT3, for I am leaving the ranks of "Garage Queener" and tracking the wench finally.
Hope all is well with you !
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

LED's appear to be out; my 20' Cargopro enclosed aluminum (purchased from Atlantic Coast in Charlton...good guys) is full LED. Myself and JFScheck have LED trailers, same problem.
Too many (how many is too many, Porsche doesn't know) standard incandescents can do the same thing; ask skl, he has an 18' ATC aluminum enclosed with standard incandescent and he has to unscrew a few running/marker lights....otherwise his headlights go out in response to the 'fault' condition.

Best of luck with your decision.
Clearly, it's those crappy trailers you guys own. I'll have a lighter load... Trailex enclosed (Actually I have a cargo pro open at the moment from AC, the AC boys are great! Trailex coming next month. )

Just a thought, does anyone know if the Toureg has the same issues?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

New control unit coming????? Sure hope so. I guess I'm lucky to only have the ! all the time. It could be a DIASTER if it went out along with all the lights on the trailer on a long tow home at NIGHT!!

As for the Toureg, almost bought one. Would assume they have the same problems if it's a Westfalia unit in it too, which I also assume is the case...
Old 08-20-2005, 08:46 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

Lewis,

Since you live in Mass, go to Herb Chambers, the dealership the the Boston area.

I had the same problem, like everyone else. Then the service manager (Rayan) installed this new update for me. Since then the car throttle has been excelent and the problem went away.

Good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 01:09 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
There are some "issues" with the integrated bulb detection circuitry built into the Cayenne as extended to the 7pin Pollack trailer connection.

In a nutshell, depending on the type of lighting load you present to the Cayenne at the 7pin connector, you will end up driving around with a "!" Check Trailer Lights warning permanently emblazened on your dashboard. Of course when you really DO have a trailer lighting issue, the warning will disappear and you will drive at night with no trailer lighting.
My "Check Trailer Lights" went away. Some time ago, I had a "Check Hitch" warning, and the dealer did some work with the help of PCNA. They claim that they did a software update that had to do with some European spec that didn't work in the US. Everything works great now with no warnings.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:04 AM
reubstarr
Intermediate

Default cayenne hesitation

Unfortunately this is an inherant issue. We don't all get the opportunity to thrash the living daylights out of the tranny to make its shift patterns better.
What I have found though is with enough complaining about the issue they will change the transmission control unit. The throttle adaption does change the way it drives and does get rid of driver history but because of its memory function and our driving conditions it adapts to a standard of running.
When the transmission control unit is changed they replace it with a later model 2005 unit which thinks and changes alot faster. You will also find its drive downshift patterns are alot quicker too. So whinge a bit more and you will reap the benefits.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:44 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

I notice you're in Australia- I wonder if changing the unit applies to US cars???
Old 09-19-2005, 10:13 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Yes it does. In fact there are at least 4 05 control units. The latest is sweet.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

My dealer has been pretty good about updates- have to call him and "complain" and see if he'll put in the newest control unit.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:19 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What build date on 05's got the latest update?? I had my 05 in a couple of weeks ago for 20K service and complained about hesitation and was told I had all of the updates :-(

ps Lewis,
could you please redirect your efforts to hesitation and not the blasted trailer lights! :-)
Old 09-20-2005, 08:05 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I do not know, I had a pre production on my 04, and when they replaced it a month ago I could feel the difference.

Quick Reply: Cayenne hesitation....learn to live with it