Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005 | 06:13 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Question Tiptronic or Automatic

What do you Cayenne owners use more and why?
Old 08-12-2005 | 06:23 PM
Mosi
Track Day

Auto for pottering around town and in jams

Tip (through gearstick up/down shifts) for more involving driving

Tip (with steering wheel shifts) = waste of time
Old 08-13-2005 | 02:04 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Actually I use the steering wheel buttons all the time- if I shift I rarely use the gear lever. When I was comparing the Toureg and Cayenne, one thing really missing in the Vdub was the tip steering wheel buttons, along with much better driving dynamics in the Porsche.
Old 08-14-2005 | 02:47 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

leave it on its own going to work (not too exciting a drive) and you know what to do at the track!!

tom
Old 08-15-2005 | 12:20 AM
JGriff
Racer

Usually I use the Tip in manual mode via the gearshift lever. Only occasionally do I use the steering wheel buttons. I only really use them if I happen to have something in my right hand at the moment of shifting i.e. coffee cup, or if I happen to be in Auto/Drive mode and I want to downshift for passing or going up hills etc.

The tranny upshifts way too early (most likely for MPG reasons) in Auto/Drive mode for my liking. If Porsche didn't offer the Tiptronic for the Cayenne, I most likely wouldn't have bought one.
Old 08-15-2005 | 09:01 AM
ML
Instructor

Tip all the time except on highway (I like to keep the revs higher for quicker response).

Steering wheel buttons as I always try to keep (my eyes on the road!) and two hands on the wheels.

ML
Old 08-15-2005 | 11:09 AM
johnsamonas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mosi
Auto for pottering around town and in jams

Tip (through gearstick up/down shifts) for more involving driving

Tip (with steering wheel shifts) = waste of time

hey Mosi, welcome aboard !! Whats happened to Stuttgart 9s ??
This board is much better anyway.

PS I used to post as 'Turbosboy'
Old 08-15-2005 | 04:23 PM
Mosi
Track Day

Originally Posted by johnsamonas

Hey John, how you doing ?

I'm still frequenting S9's, its a nice family atmosphere in there these days

Just found this place (MOD500 referred me over), I'll pass judgement on how much better it is (if at all) once I've sussed it out (first impressions are that its a bit dry/cold in here, is there any banter?)

Talk soon matey
Old 08-15-2005 | 04:25 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Auto all the time...unless i'm pushed!
Old 08-16-2005 | 01:07 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
What do you Cayenne owners use more and why?
Why do you ask? Are you considering auto vs. manual? FWIW, I think the automatic in the Cayenne is superb. I use the tiptronic "stick" quite a bit when in traffic and want to hold a higher rpm and have power when time to speed up... the only issue with "auto" mode is that the programming wants to put you in D5 or D6 at 30-35 mph.. which then requires a lot of foot to get power (and wastes gas).. instead I pull the stick over to the left and use the manual mode.. great gadget and beats the hell out of having to clutch a heavy vehicle if you're in hilly/mountainous areas. I rarely use the tiptronic on the steering wheel... maybe now and then when I'm holding a cup of Cayenne Kool-aid (purplesaurus rex is grape-lemonade not GRAPE!)
Old 08-16-2005 | 11:55 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Default Tiptronic and Hesitation Issues

[QUOTE=MadFox]Why do you ask? Are you considering auto vs. manual? FWIW, I think the automatic in the Cayenne is superb.

MadFox: Reason I ask is that I just order an '06 CS (due fir delivery in Oct.) and I am bocoming a little concerned about the reports on hesitation (though I did not experience this on the two CS's I tested). Everyone seems to agree that the problem goes away when you drive tiptronic. However, I am not a big fan of Tiptronic, at least not on my X5 4.4. Not sure if it will have a different feel on the CS. So, I was wondering how most Cayenne owners drive their cars.

Any thoughts on the throttle hesitation issue? and do you use the Tip to avoid that?

Also wondering whether the fall '06 builds may correct the hesitation through software upgrades. (I've ehard the Lepzig factory is closed for the month of August for vacations and retrofitting of manufacturing equipment to correct bugs and other problems on previously build Cayenne's. Mine is due to be built in September, so hopefully the hesitation issue and things others have complained about will be sorted out.

B/T/W what is all this stuff about Kool Aid?
Old 08-16-2005 | 12:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
I rarely use the tiptronic on the steering wheel... maybe now and then when I'm holding a cup of Cayenne Kool-aid (purplesaurus rex is grape-lemonade not GRAPE!)
Not using the steering wheel buttons?
Afraid of wearing the paint off those too?
Come on, touch the buttons....you know you want to.
Old 08-16-2005 | 01:05 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

MadFox: Reason I ask is that I just order an '06 CS (delivery in Oct.) and I am bocoming a little concerned about the reports on hesitation (though I did not experience this on the two CS's I tested). Any thoughts on the throttle hesitation issue? and do you use the Tip to avoid that?
It seems to be an issue with some Cayennes. Brent89GT and I have both never really had the issue. However, apparently it is quite noticeable in TT more than base and S models. Drive by wire requires some software "manipulation" and I think it has been corrected in the latest DME upgrades. Some think I have it and just don't know it. So, I tested yesterday at full stops, cruising slow and at interstate speeds.. immediately upon depressing the pedal, I have response whether a slow "throttle up" or "mash it to the floor". So, I would hope it isn't an issue on a '06 new build. Mine is a early 04 S.
B/T/W what is all this stuff about Kool Aid?
If you poke around the forum a little while, you'll find that Lewis (ltc) made a comment (or perhaps moderator mudman2) that many of us Porsche addicts have drunk the Kool-Aid and blindly accept things just because it is built by Porsche.. this is a reference to Jim Jones who had a religious cult in Guyana where they put a lethal poison into Kool-Aid and over 900 folks died because it was time to "meet God" since their leader said that they were being persecuted and should go to heaven together...i.e. they just blindly drank it because their spiritual leader said to.

Lewis (ltc) then commented to me that his favorite Kool-Aid was Purplesaurus Rex. None of us had heard of it.. he found it was discontinued but posted an internet picture of the packet.. So, we forum addicts have adopted this as the official Cayenne Kool-Aid.. if there isn't a fix or Porsche ignores a problem.. we jokingly say.. Drink the Kool-Aid! For more info on how to make it (it actually is pretty good stuff and although no longer in production, you can combine two flavors to make it) see the post "MadFox this is JUST for you".

Last edited by MadFox; 08-17-2005 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Correct syntax and confusing sentence.
Old 08-16-2005 | 01:16 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Not using the steering wheel buttons?
It feels more manly to shift with the tiptronic stick..
Originally Posted by ltc
Afraid of wearing the paint off those too?
Damn it.. I knew you'd think of the real reason!
Originally Posted by ltc
Come on, touch the buttons.. you know you want to
Too, too funny.. okay, yes - I will... it's better "touching" the buttons than doing the Michael Jackson type of touching!!
Old 08-17-2005 | 08:46 AM
MOD500
Racer

Originally Posted by johnsamonas

Welcome Mosi!

Hello to you too John! We met at the petrol station at Brunters, I was in the yellow turbo.

Thanks

Martyn.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic or Automatic