Rear end love tap --- Towing Package results in No Damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:44 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear end love tap --- Towing Package results in No Damage

Headed home from work tonight. Stopped for red light. Start to have a little rain shower.. oil films forming.. RED Car coming up fast behind me as I sit at the light.. Starts to slow.. not fast enough.. fishtails.. keeps coming.. I take my foot off the brake.. and try to pull forward a little just as he hits my rear ...CRUNCH.. [oops]! So I get out and it starts to rain harder(of course).. look at bumper.. nothing.. inspect panels.. underside.. nothing.. Look at mid-20's year old's car.. huge square hole in his bumper and it's bent in on the side that fishtailed.. he's very nice.. "Sir, I'm really sorry about your Porsche. It is clearly my fault.. I couldn't stop fast enough - do you want me to call the cops?" --- Well, son, I know that it will hurt your rates to have an at fault accident.. let me look at this again.. so in the now pouring rain.. I check my S out again.. nothing.. I can only see some red plastic flecks on my trailer hitch square!

IMHO.. ALWAYS BUY the towing package on a SUV!! even if you don't haul boats, motorcycles, 911's in trailers with screwed up lights (Lewis!!) .. it saves and protects you in rear end nose dive collisions!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet !
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
Sweet !
Absolutely. I was 100% confident that he had a messed up my bumper as I got out of the car. Feel much better and I'm sure I made that kid's day!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:27 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Only way it could have been better would to have had the stinger in place in the hitch!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:29 AM
magicdracula
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you, I'm really happy for your car, as I would imagine myself in that situations. Nevertheless, making the kid's day didn't sound too right to me IMO.

To be honest with you, I wish if he had gotten a slap on the wrist just to let him know that it is not OK for reckless driving. If he knows it is raining and he knows that his car isn't a formula 1 car that could stop in seconds, then he shouldn't have driven that fast.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:50 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

wow! cool guy in a cool car, that's nice of you. Hope he learns something from it..
Old 07-27-2005, 10:19 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Also, no damage due to hitch, other than indentation of the rubber hitch cover. Of course the driver was uninsured, and quite frankly the woman was a real "B". BTW, the hitch really messed up her car.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex911s
wow! cool guy in a cool car, that's nice of you. Hope he learns something from it..
Thanks, Alex.. in my other "what happened in my Cayenne" post I was "lame" for calling the cops (1st time ever did that) on a kid doing 110 recklessly on the interstate... magicdracula, I probably should have called the police... but, the kid was respectful, seemed genuinely sorry and I was nearly 100% positive I had no damage. Having two boys that drive.. I know what it does to insurance rates. Besides he has to explain a square puncture through his front end and a messed up bumper .. to which he will say that a rain soaked guy driving a Porsche was "nice". Nevermind, that I have a retired military tag --- he probably thought I was going to jump out and chew his ****! I don't tow anything but I'm glad I got the option...
Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 AM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a good and compassionate deed. Since there was no harm done to you, why do harm to someone else? Besides, like you said, he's going to have a heck of a time with the damage to his car.
Bravo.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:28 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Same thing for me.
Shredded the other guys bumper, hood and plate.

Steve
Old 07-29-2005, 10:54 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevertr
Same thing for me. Shredded the other guys bumper, hood and plate. Steve
Wow, a new angle on TV commercials, since so many of us saved our "rears" (pun intended) with the towing package! Maybe Porsche should do a commercial with a Cayenne backing into a BMW and a MB SUV with the hitch and then peel out and see that neither can catch the Cayenne after doing so, too!! ... okay, bad idea!!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a lady bump into the hitch on the Cayenne, put a hole right through her M3! No damage to the Cayenne, almost started laughing at her as she was so upset that the "Pepper" had no damage yet her front end was toast, radator steaming, etc.

Then she makes the statement, "I shouldn't have braked at at all"... What was that supposed to mean?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
356driver
Racer

It means she regrets not having a square hole in her engine block.

Seriously, I installed my own tow hitch. Anyone who has done so will testify that the tow hitch bumper is an impressive piece of metal. I'm sure the standard aluminum bumper is OK in an accident, but there is more steel in the tow hitch bumper than most cars have in their entire front end.

It's too bad people have to find out about it the hard way. But I have to laugh at that M3 lady's attitude.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps the idea of the claim was not worse than the suicide which would have resulted from not braking.

I agree the hitch is VERY substantial I would not want to drop it on my toe.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM
thecleaner
Instructor

I hvae used my hitch to ****** vehicles out of ditches and vehicles with boats attached up ramps where they could not get traction and the paint has not even chipped off the saftey chain hooks! IT IS A BEAST!

Quick Reply: Rear end love tap --- Towing Package results in No Damage