Jeep faster than Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jeep faster than Turbo?

I woke up this morning to some bizarre news courtesy of Google's Alerts feature ... apparently Jeep claims the new Hemi 6.1 Grand Cherokee is quicker to 60mph than a Cayenne Turbo.

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/news/gr...okee_srt8.html
Old 07-12-2005, 03:36 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its called commiting suicide
Old 07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
johnsamonas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these claims seem rather wild and unsubstantiated.......I hope !!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 PM
RUthless
Advanced

I just saw an the Chrysler 300 SRT8 with that same engine - 415 HP HEMI - still with temp. dealer tags run a 12.9 quarter mile at a South Jersey track. Everyone was just shocked to see a pedestrian-looking sedan go that fast - This Jeep will indeed be faster than any CS turbo and looks to be in th 40-45k range...The HEMI engine has been a windfall for Chrysler & Dodge - Anything with the HEMI engine sells in big #'s for them. I also saw a couple recent articles in mags claimingthe Jeep will be the fastest SUV ever.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 565 Posts

It may be faster in a straight line, but it ain't no Porsche! Wonder if it will be rated to tow anything or just go fast? A lot of those performance pickups are useless to actually use as a truck...
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is no way that unrefined POS does under 5 seconds...what a joke LMAO
Old 07-13-2005, 12:41 AM
RUthless
Advanced

The Jeep will indeed do sub 5's according to all I've read in several mags, blogs, web-sites etc. It looks like NO-towing at all because the dual exaust is in the center - great pics below of the HEMI Jeep model and its center-exaust...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=40479
Old 07-13-2005, 12:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mudman2
Its called commiting suicide
What, buying the Cayenne or the Jeep?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 AM
RUthless
Advanced

rokitman,

I wouldn't exactly call the SRT8(Street and Racaing Technology) HEMI an unrefined POS - If Chryler puts the 425 HP version in a sub-3000lb version 2-seater Crossfire - as has been rumored everywhere - it could be faster in than you GT3 for 40k. The 330 HP SRT6 Crossfire already runs 4.9 0-60...It said to be out in 2007 and go sub 4's...

There was always an SRT team at Chrysler in the 50's, 60's & 70's. Then started up again in the 90's they developed the Prowler & the Viper and now Daimler has totally expanded the program lead by Dan Knott and his 150-person SRT team...

Here's alittle on the engine itself from an interview Knott did - if your a gear-head you'll enjoy...

The SRT powertrain engineers who developed the Chrysler 300C SRT8's engine achieved more horsepower by adding more cubic inches, increasing the compression ratio, redesigning the cylinder head intake and exhaust systems for increased flow, and increasing engine speed.

To get more displacement, SRT engineers bored out the diameter of the cylinders in the Chrysler 300C SRT8's HEMI by 3.5 millimetres each, to increase the total displacement to 6.1 litres from 5.7 litres.

Compression ratio was also increased to 10.3:1 from 9.6:1, unleashing more energy in the combustion process. Engine breathing was increased with new high-flow cylinder heads, a specially designed intake manifold, and exhaust "headers" with individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell, all unique to the 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8's 6.1-litre HEMI engine. Larger diameter valves and reshaped cylinder ports in the heads allow for maximized air flow. The intake manifold was designed with larger diameter runners for higher-speed tuning. Exhaust is routed through a larger-diameter (2.75-inch vs. 2.5-inch) exhaust system with 3.5-inch chrome tips. Performance-oriented camshaft profiles were developed to balance total vehicle requirements, simultaneously allowing more air in and out of cylinders. This increases performance and manages a higher engine speed, which is another method to increase horsepower. SRT engineers increased the HEMI's peak engine speed nearly 15 percent, to 6,200 revolutions per minute (rpm) from 5,400 rpm. Intake and exhaust valve stems are hollow, and the exhaust valve stems are filled with sodium to help dissipate heat more efficiently.

The high-performance 6.1-litre HEMI is further strengthened with a host of redesigned components, including a reinforced engine block with increased coolant flow, forged steel crankshaft, high-strength powdered-metal connecting rods, floating-pin pistons (cooled by oil squirters), and an oil pan modified for reduced oil foaming.

The 6.1-litre HEMI's power is channeled through an A580 five-speed automatic transmission with specially calibrated Auto/Stick(TM) driver-selectable range control, which offers fully automatic or manual shifting selection. A heavy-duty four-flange prop shaft sends the torque from the transmission to an upgraded differential and axles.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skl
It may be faster in a straight line, but it ain't no Porsche! Wonder if it will be rated to tow anything or just go fast? A lot of those performance pickups are useless to actually use as a truck...
Wheelbase would probably limit tow to ordinary V8s. It would pull, but tongue capacity would limit load (longer wheelbase=more tongue load: law of physics)
Old 07-13-2005, 01:28 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
What, buying the Cayenne or the Jeep?
I've had Jeeps (and I like them). Mike is right. Very unstable at high speeds. Jeeps are designed with Jeeporees in mind. Short wheelbases and short tails.

Admittedly, a Jeep won't **** you off like a buggy Pepper, but that's what love is all about.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:56 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

No way I'm buying that...good numbers though but that's it, just like the SRT10 wouldnt buy it either.

Ruthless, isnt crossfire all Mercedes SLK? that explains it..
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RUthless
rokitman,
I wouldn't exactly call the SRT8(Street and Racaing Technology) HEMI an unrefined POS
Ruthless,
What you have obviously overlooked is the simple fact that anything vehicle NOT displaying the Porsche crest is automatically assumed to be a POS.

Hang around here a while longer, sit back, relax, drink the KoolAid, you'll begin to feel better.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree Lewis, but I also agree with Torags, my wife loved her jeep and would buy another tomorrow (if I would let it anywhere near my house that is) the cornering and general ride quality is not good for those who do not have strong sea legs and gives zero road feel.

I still say that if you attempt to max the engine it would be like a death wish. They should sell well in the middle east except Beirut where they seem to have better taste.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:32 AM
johnsamonas
Instructor

my 500 BHP CTT does 0-60 in 5.1 Secs....dont see how the Jeep can beat that,unless its a helluva lot lighter!!

I would also add that anything you might read about the SRTs alleged performance at this stage is totally unsubstantiated.its called marketing,so JEEP fans will go : 'oooh...Jeep are making an SUV faster than a Cayenne Turbo.' lets see what happens when it is first tested.......

PS G55 AMG is as fast as stock Cayenne Turbo,according to MERC,but it has never been tested.Now who would bet that the CTT would be considerably faster than the Benz? Lets face it,the CTT is a target for any manufacturer bringing out a high performance SUV,because it is the benchmark against which all high performance SUVs must be compared....and it is PROVEN !!!

Quick Reply: Jeep faster than Turbo?