Sponsored by:

Jeep faster than Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:03 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I wonder if the Cayenne can still outperorm the jeeps offroad?

Anyone can make a fast SUV (just stuff a bigger motor in it), but a SUV that can tow, go off-road while having (for an SUV) unbeliveable handling and comfort?

Let me get a sip of my Koolaid here (sip, sip), oh and does the Jeep have a Porsche Crest on it?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
What, buying the Cayenne or the Jeep?
Originally Posted by ltc
What you have obviously overlooked is the simple fact that anything vehicle NOT displaying the Porsche crest is automatically assumed to be a POS. Hang around here a while longer, sit back, relax, drink the KoolAid, you'll begin to feel better.
Lewis, since we are now engineering, I.N.S., and Cayenne buddies, you have gotten off the reservation on our "lighten up" agreement. A Jeep is a fine machine for off-road and in its price range. It is no Porsche. Basically Jeep is pissed off that the Cayenne ate into its high end "loaded" vehicles and thus its profits on that nameplate. The marketing schitzu is just that - as many have said. It looks like crap, probably will handle like crap, but, it will get a few Jeep devotees back on the reservation by being priced well under a comparably option-ed Cayenne V6 IMHO.

The Cayenne for all its faults is the best SUV on the planet. The engineering is impressive and it just saved a guy's life in Beirut. Again, I'm on record with my frustration with the Germans and the "itz impozzible zat vee screwed up anyzing on das Cayenne"... But, alas, that is what is great about this forum - you have "Allied" ammo when you approach "zee dealer" with "zee problemz" with the German attitude about "glitches".

Oh, and Lewis, I'm fully prepared to drink the kool-aid of wrong-ness when the Jeep "cayenne wannabe" comes out and I'm proven wrong.. ahhhhh, here comes the ex-Navy guy... but I doubt that I will be!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nope, said my piece
Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by madfoxcays
Lewis, since we are now engineering, I.N.S., and Cayenne buddies, you have gotten off the reservation on our "lighten up" agreement.
Wow, I have to realign my "lighten up" sensor....I thought I was within normal operating parameters

Was it the 'cliff' post or the 'KoolAid' post ?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Wow, I have to realign my "lighten up" sensor....I thought I was within normal operating parameters Was it the 'cliff' post or the 'KoolAid' post ?
Maybe using a hammer on the sensor will help! You know you're not going to find a comparable SUV if you trade!? Now, if we can just figure out how to get your trailer lights issue resolved and maybe a better dealer? Really, I promise the Cayenne Kool-aid doesn't kill.... hurts now and then... but drink up and enjoy all your Porsche vehicles!!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:18 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 565 Posts

I usually enjoy Lewis' comments and we've had several of the same issues... good for a chuckle... keep 'em coming, BTW, I've got some more Kool-Aid to sip on here...
Old 07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You know you're not going to find a comparable SUV if you trade!?
Trade? Who said anything about trading the Cayenne. I'm afraid the Cayenne's destiny lies along a different path.

Now, if we can just figure out how to get your trailer lights issue resolved
I actually offered to fly to Germany and redesign/fix the module for free (and trust me, they couldn't afford me any other way ). No need, as there is nothing wrong with the module....OK, fine.

and maybe a better dealer?
As I've said many times before, my dealer has exceeded any expectation I could possibly have had. They are not responsible in any way for this mess.

Really, I promise the Cayenne Kool-aid doesn't kill.... hurts now and then... but drink up and enjoy all your Porsche vehicles!!
In my not so distant past, I lived on Kool-Aid....specifically Purplesaurus Rex flavor......working 27 hours straight it kind of kept you going. I also used to make home made pizza for my team and we had a small pizza oven to go along with it. I was very sorry to see the flavor discontinued. I'll have to reverse engineer it and mix some up myself I suppose
Old 07-13-2005, 02:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
I usually enjoy Lewis' comments and we've had several of the same issues... good for a chuckle... keep 'em coming, BTW, I've got some more Kool-Aid to sip on here...
Thank you.
Nice to know that my sarcasm and humor "self defense mechanism" aren't too misunderstood......especially when you find yourself face to face (or keyboard to keyboard) with one of the "defenders of the marque"
Old 07-13-2005, 02:17 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

It would be great news if Jeep and other manufacturer's kick Porsche butt, at a lower price point. That only serves to raise the bar and force Porsche and others to respond in kind.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Well we've hammered Jeep. Now let's take on the RR, which is going to be a living room on wheels with a high HP engine. Between Jeep and RR, same HP - I'd take the jeep.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
It would be great news if Jeep and other manufacturer's kick Porsche butt, at a lower price point. That only serves to raise the bar and force Porsche and others to respond in kind.
This idea of "raising the bar" is the whole point of looking at the Grand Cherokee, in my humble. Of course, the only performance aspect is the power to weight ratio in this case. But it should be enough to influence the specifications that Porsche puts into the '07 update.

It's analogous to the MX-5/Miata, which paved the way for the Boxster. The trend of SUVs selling instead of sedans and wagons brought the Cayenne. I know it will be an '07 model before Porsche refreshes the Cayenne, but I hope they take a more aggressive stance.

Mercedes, BMW and Porsche have had their SUVs on the road for several years and they each made their play. With the next wave of SUVs approaching it appears the trend is towards on-road performance (Mercedes has dropped its off-road capabilities, BMW has never tried to be an off-road vehicle) and "cross-overs" like the Volvo XC are in demand. I wonder if Porsche will see fit to position one or more variants of the Cayenne to address each market, from Range Rover Supercharged to Grand Cherokee. I've seen the Audi "sedan" derived from the Touareg. And the Maserati Kubang. Both of these designs are food for thought over a the Porsche camp.

Personally, all I need to see is a Cayenne with a manual transmission and the off-road tech package. Please. And if they made it a long-wheelbase variant with more load space and more rear seat space, that would be perfect for my needs. And slightly less boring exterior styling ... and a sensible rear seat design ... and a real spare ... and ...
Old 07-13-2005, 03:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
And if they made it a long-wheelbase variant with more load space and more rear seat space, that would be perfect for my needs. And slightly less boring exterior styling ... and a sensible rear seat design ... and a real spare ... and ...
Hmmn, I think you just desribed the upcoming Audi 'Pikes Peak' SUV....or the Q7 SUV (although VAG and Infiniti are still in legal 'discussion's over who owns the 'Q" trademark).

Of course, ever since the 'royalty' debacle between PAG and VAG regarding the use of the stretched Cayenne/Touareg unibody as the basis for the Pikes Peak, the 'stretched Cayenne' will remain dead.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I wonder how $3 gas over the long run is going to affect SUV sales. My guess is, it will. GM appears to be having trouble peddling their large SUV's. Will it perculate to the mid sized?

Some experts are saying that hybred vehicles are going to be more widespread (whether in the SUV or sedan mode). It will be interesting to see how the Lexis hybred SUV does in sales. PAG is poorly positioned for that unless they partner with a Japanese or Korean manufacturer for most of the manufacturing.

The 07 Cayenne will be dependent on what VW chooses to do, since PAG is a minor partner. Hmmm....
Old 07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Torags
I wonder how $3 gas over the long run is going to affect SUV sales. My guess is, it will. GM appears to be having trouble peddling their large SUV's.
I recall as a child (back in the days of the 1970 500ci V8 FWD Eldorado......what a car) hearing "If you have to ask what the mileage is, you shouldn't own a Cadillac".

I would imagine the same would hold true today regarding a Porsche SUV...although people would still grumble about gas prices, etc.

On a related note, I took my 996TT for the first time in 16 months and was getting 26mpg highway on the trip computer!
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
I recall as a child (back in the days of the 1970 500ci V8 FWD Eldorado......what a car) hearing "If you have to ask what the mileage is, you shouldn't own a Cadillac".

I would imagine the same would hold true today regarding a Porsche SUV...although people would still grumble about gas prices, etc.

On a related note, I took my 996TT for the first time in 16 months and was getting 26mpg highway on the trip computer!
Sometimes it isn't the cost, but a question of concious. I know, I know - I'm a hypocrite - it's because I'm weak....

Quick Reply: Jeep faster than Turbo?