Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do Cayennes eat their tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Why do Cayennes eat their tires?

My wife's Cayenne S finishes her tires every 10.000 miles!!!
Not fun with 20 inches tires!!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Virtually all of the tires availible in the correct size are extreme high performance tires. The rubber compounds are very soft an the tread wear ratings are very low. Then factor in the 5000lb + wieght of the truck and I think you have the answer. I have 20's for summer and 18's for winter. Even after six months and 6-8k miles the 18's show little to no wear and no strange wear patterns. My 20's are on the wear bars with about 10k as well.

The N0 Michelin tire has a wear rating of 140, the newer N1 version has a rating of 220. I am going to try the newer one and see if they last longer. There is someone else on the board that has done very well on 20's, they ran a Pirelli.

Mostly though you have a very heavy truck with sporting intentions on soft tires. Hopefully tire makers will offer us something more durable as time passes.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have ~25K miles on the stock Continental 20's (I also have Dunlop 18's for winter...both are OEM rims and tires).
The 20's are at the wear bars while the 18's look almost like new.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any complaints about the Conti's? They are a fair amount cheaper than the Michelins. If they work well enough, I might go that route.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I've had good luck with Continentals on most of my current and previous cars (where they were offered in the correct fitment). Some of the best winter tires I ever had were some Conti TS790s I had flown over from Germany for my old Audi S4.

Some people have posted that vibration issues at 70mph were attributed to Contientals....some people have the vibration on other rubber, so it's hard to say. Multiple road force balances, with tire rotation on the rim as required seems to address most of the issues.

Some dealers are now using Pirelli when customers ask for replacement. Strangely, the dealers simply call TireRack, have the tires sent in and mark them up a bit!

The wear rating has always been very good on the Conti's, but as you mentioned the N1 spec Michelin now has a similar rating, although at a much higher price.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:38 PM
356driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am approaching 30K miles with the original set of 20" Continental SportContacts. BUT I also used my 18" wheels for several recreational trips (snow, offroad) last year so subtract about 10K miles from the Conti's. I estimate I'll be getting a little more than 20K miles on the Contis before they are down to the wear bars. My driving style is spirited but I don't put a lot of stress on the tires.

Low profile, soft rubber tires are simply going to wear out more quickly than whatever you have on the family Volvo. I have friends with Porsche 930's and Acura NSX's who are lucky to get 10K miles out of their tires. So it's all relative.

Like poor gas mileage, just count on tires as what you pay to have fun in a Cayenne.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Tlar88
Track Day

Originally Posted by Freddy
My wife's Cayenne S finishes her tires every 10.000 miles!!!
Not fun with 20 inches tires!!!
Toyo Proxes S/T treadwear is 420. And the rating from users are 4.3 out of 5.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

IIRC, these were discussed before and are not OEM homologated tires for the Cayenne.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:23 AM
devon7
Advanced

I am now on my 4th set of 20" Dimaris with approx twenty thousand miles on the clock. The word from inside my local service dept is that this is unfortunatley common for the turbo. I love my pepper but am starting to think that even passion has a price!
Old 06-18-2005, 07:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by devon7
I am now on my 4th set of 20" Dimaris with approx twenty thousand miles on the clock. The word from inside my local service dept is that this is unfortunatley common for the turbo. I love my pepper but am starting to think that even passion has a price!
As has been posted here previously, there is only about 200# (IIRC) difference between a Turbo and an S; as a percentage of base weight (~5300#), it doesn't seem to be enough to allow for such a statement regarding wear.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:33 AM
stevertr
Instructor

Talking Extending tire use

I've tried a great technique which has worked well on my Michelin 20's towards extending mileage.

What I do is to drive on them until the steel belts actually protrude from all corners...like a large brillo pad. The steel belts actually provide great grip on uneven surfaces. When my dealer takes them off for me and has blood all over is hands, I just assure him that bleeding is totally normal when changing tires on a high performance vehicle like the CTT.

)

Steve
Old 06-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Amazing how fast the steel belts actually protrude from the tires!!! My wife did that... and I lost a wheel
Old 06-18-2005, 11:13 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
As has been posted here previously, there is only about 200# (IIRC) difference between a Turbo and an S; as a percentage of base weight (~5300#), it doesn't seem to be enough to allow for such a statement regarding wear.
Come on, it's not the weight of the turbo, it's the extra horsepower... DUH!

I find myself doing little drag races from standing starts just to hear the engine wind out. I'm sure I could get longer wear if I drove more conservatively but what would be the point? Might as well sell the CT and buy a regular SUV.

I've never had a P-car get over 15K miles on a set of tires. They beg to be driven hard and that's what I do. Why would you have a Porsche unless you planned to drive it hard.

Alex
Old 06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Ok you guys are turning me off from the Cayenne.
I have Michelin 4X4 Synchrone's on my 03 Range Rover with 80,000 km and they look still have at least another 20 k to go.
I can't see going through tires that quickly as being a good selling point or safe.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:40 PM
bigdog
Advanced

Default COMMENT OF THE DAY

Come on, it's not the weight of the turbo, it's the extra horsepower... DUH!

I find myself doing little drag races from standing starts just to hear the engine wind out. I'm sure I could get longer wear if I drove more conservatively but what would be the point? Might as well sell the CT and buy a regular SUV.

I've never had a P-car get over 15K miles on a set of tires. They beg to be driven hard and that's what I do. Why would you have a Porsche unless you planned to drive it hard.

Alex

Quick Reply: Why do Cayennes eat their tires?