Sponsored by:

rear window latch (again......)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 PM
davidbrondstetter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear window latch (again......)

My rear hatch window started opening again on it's own. This is the second time. The first time, the dealer replaced the latch. The second time, they disconnected it. Yes, I said "DISCONNECTED"! The fix according to my advisor is to disconnect the latch button on the outside of the window.

Not wanting my window to pop open, I reluctantly agreed. I asked to speak with the factory rep and was told he doesn't have a set schedule. Basically, I was refused. So, I paid for a window that is supposed to open, and it doesn't. The dealer's solution is "use the remote" and of course, I need not explain the issues around that option.

Does anyone have a contact number for the Seattle representative for Porsche. I believe this is a premptive move on Porsche's part to avoid lemon law proceeding. However, refusing to fix a vehicle does not imply nor grant indemnification from culpability. I need this car fixed. Anyone else face a similar concern?

A number would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Tomciui
4th Gear

I've only had my CT for 8 days......so parden the ignorance. Are you supposed to be able to open the top part (window only) of the rear door by using the handle? What's the trick? I've been pressing the remote for 2 secs. to get it open.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM
JGriff
Racer

Default It opens with the microswitch on the underside of the wiper assembly

Originally Posted by Tomciui
I've only had my CT for 8 days......so parden the ignorance. Are you supposed to be able to open the top part (window only) of the rear door by using the handle? What's the trick? I've been pressing the remote for 2 secs. to get it open.
There is a small microswitch on the underside of the wiper assembly that opens the glass portion by itself.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:36 AM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

DAVID: Have them replace the switch that controls the latch. Don't let them do quick fixes and dont let them do what they please on your vehicle!

I just hope they dont tell you "its normal"
Old 06-09-2005, 12:52 AM
DEETZ22
Racer

Get them to change the micro chip, it takes 20mins or less, very easy. I am sure it will break again though LOL
Old 06-09-2005, 08:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DEETZ22
Get them to change the micro chip, it takes 20mins or less, very easy. I am sure it will break again though LOL
I think you meant microswitch...the part that's on it's 4th (pending) revision, not microchip (the integrated circuit contained within the keyfob remote control).
Old 06-09-2005, 08:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbrondstetter
Does anyone have a contact number for the Seattle representative for Porsche. I believe this is a premptive move on Porsche's part to avoid lemon law proceeding. However, refusing to fix a vehicle does not imply nor grant indemnification from culpability. I need this car fixed. Anyone else face a similar concern?
A number would be great.
Thanks
David,
Having decided it's time to kick the bee's nest, it is best to go directly to the queen bee, rather than waste time dealing with the worker bees

I would suggest a certified/registered letter, detailing your vehicle history surrounding this issue, to the following:

Peter Schwarzenbauer, PCNA President and CEO
Porsche Cars North America
980 Hammond Drive
Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30328
(800) 767-7243

I can guarantee you, this will get the appropriate person to respond to your issues.
Bonus points are awarded if the letter is from an attorney's office...
(yes, been there, done that, can't discuss it further)
Old 06-09-2005, 10:56 AM
oproulx
Advanced

MY dealer told me they had replaced the microswitch (twice). Well the problem hadn't reoccured for a while so I decided to take a look at the switch and to my surprise (or maybe not) the switch was disconnected....
Old 06-09-2005, 03:52 PM
stevertr
Instructor

I've got it better than that, I had the same problem, and they fixed the latch for me. Two weeks later, the rear window EXPLODED when I got in and closed the drivers side door. Of course, they claim no responsibility.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:47 PM
davidbrondstetter
Advanced

Thank you for the feedback. I am going to contact PCNA for my next steps. Will post the conclusion.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 PM
stevertr
Instructor

I contacted PCNA personally. To call them useless would be an insult to useless people around the world....

We only warranty glass if it's "defective."

Well...if the window on a 100K vehicle explodes in a heated garage, would that be considered defective?

Only the service manager can decide that when he looks at the window...

The window is in pieces the size of confetti on my garage floor.

Well you should bring it in to the service department...

In what, a dixie cup?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:09 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

geez. i'm afraid to use the damn hatch now. thx. probably would have been better if i'd never known the window opened like that.

just curious, anyone have a faultless one?

btw: bol stevertr... i'd bring 'em a few dixie cup fulls.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:34 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I've had mine replaced twice and thus far all is well (no popping of rear window latch).

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: rear window latch (again......)