Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

2005 Turbo using 1 quart every 800 miles. Dealer checked for leaks and said this consumption is normal. Sent me home with case of Mobil One oil.

I can smell burning oil when car stops...is this really normal?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Don,
Based on previous threads/discussions; yes, this is considered normal by Porsche with respect to the CT.
Your vehicle sounds similar to ben in lj, who has posted similar findings and comments from Porsche (perhaps a PM would provide some additional info). Others have been given free M1 0W-40 like yourself.
There are other CT owners who burn less than a qt in 5K miles.

It is the range of oil consumption which leads me to believe something is amiss. Yes, each and every motor is run in a test cell at Zuffenhausen, torn down if the output is below 3% of specified targets, etc. However, these 10 minute runs can not measure oil consumption nor predict piston ring seating.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend of mine who is a tech at a local Porsche dealer told me a month ago they had just received a notice that a number of 05's have bad piston rings, causing excessive oil consumption. I expected something to turn up on the board here referring to a factory TSB, but I haven't seen or heard anything more. I'll see if I can find anything more from him.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 PM
hamiam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not a mechanic but I dont accept that burning 1qt of oil in less than 1000 miles is "normal." My guess is that there is a ring problem and, given the expense of doing a ring job, Porsche is quite reluctant to do a recall.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Don a few things:

Did you change your breakin oil early? (rings may not be seated) did you run it hard during breakin (or did you ship it to Fl. ;-)

There's an active thread on the 996 turbo board about turbo cool down, you might like to check in. Claim is - that if you don't idle for 1-2 min before shut off, you can leave oil in turbo (that could blow by @ each start up) - other damage can occur later (seals).
Old 03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
GM Austin
Pro

I have heard comments at a local dealer that one quart every 1k miles on the CT is suprisingly not unusual. My CS has essentially zero oil consumption.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GM Austin
I have heard comments at a local dealer that one quart every 1k miles on the CT is suprisingly not unusual. My CS has essentially zero oil consumption.
It seems dealers are quoting a quart every 600 miles is normal (that's accross the entire range of turbos). While I don't buy it, they're saying it.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Can ANYONE find ANY other new car which states that 1qt of oil per 1K miles (or less) is considered NORMAL by the factory/manufacturer?

You get bonus points if you have this in writing.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Cayenne to develop a RMS issue.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Boxer block formats may be more vulnerable to RMS (a guess).

I don't think you see less than 1K per qt in any sales info. It appears to happen (miraculously) after you have suffered high oil cinsumption.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:16 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

The reek of burning oil is obvious when pull to a stop and opening a door (i.e. dropping the kids at school) or pulling the vehicle into the garage.

It can't be normal and it can't be good.

I love this vehicle to death but the problems are beginning to offset the immense fun I have driving it.

It is going back into the dealer on Monday to have this looked at again and to fix the remotes which refuse to work.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:50 PM
LeS+
8th Gear

What means “normal”?

If Porsche continues to ignore this problem, soon 1 Q every 10 miles will be “normal”

Imagine how much will cost to change piston rings on every Cayenne?

I have read a lot of car’s owner’s manuals, BMW, MB, Lexus, and all of then say the same “1 Q every 1000 M is normal”, but I never add oil to those cars, no a drop.

Thinking, hey, for Porsche NA every Cayenne’s Problem is just “normal”:

Vibration, shimmy, it is normal, vibration should be expected.

Brakes making noise, It is normal, just brake hard and see, and maybe, after 10 times going service for the same issue, we will change the brake pads.

Keyfobs that do not work, it is normal, it is a known issue, just change your keys time after time until the work.

If you see thru your windshield and some defects, don’t worry, it is normal, but if you dare to ask for change, the new one will be worst.

ETC, it is normal.

Call Porsche NA, Call a Lawyer, document everything. Good Luck.

LeS+
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is an option....but I think it would hurt them even more to simply stop buying a new Porsche every year or so.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:20 PM
hamiam
Instructor

In the most basic terms NORMAL would be if EVERY TT consumed a quart of oil every 1000 miles but the reality is that EVERY TT doesnt. Porsche is a luxury good; a premium product. Im the owner of a 2005 Cayenne S and at an MSRP of around $70K and considering they have had a few model years to sort out their "issues" with the car, Im not accepting of the fact that oil consumption or rattles or the car pulling to the right is normal and acceptable. Its a pain in the *** to bring a car into the shop. They should be bending over backwards to address the problems. If you were to buy, say, a yugo you cant expect a high level of quality and customer service. A Porsche? That SHOULD BE another story.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ltc]Can ANYONE find ANY other new car which states that 1qt of oil per 1K miles (or less) is considered NORMAL by the factory/manufacturer?

You get bonus points if you have this in writing.
QUOTE]
From the Tech Forum on the PCA website:

Question
After 9 months of ownership and 2,200 miles, my 2003 C4 Cab needed a quart of oil. There appears to be no leaks. Is this ordinary for the break in period, and what do you consider normal oil consumption after the break in?

Also I smell a burning odor after I turn off the car, but I think it has begun to diminish in strength.

Thank you.

Answer:
The burning smell is usually cosmoline when the car is new. That is a light brown colored goo sprayed on the underside of the car for protection.

As far as oil consumption, it should say in your owner's manual that it is normal for the engine to use up one quart per 600 miles (1000 km). More oil than that is not good. Yours is less than that by a factor of 4 so you're fine. Also, the consumption will be less after the initial breaking in.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 12/2/2003

There are other similar threads, saying the "spec" for 911's is not more that one qt. per 600 miles. Of course, that is a different engine than the Cayenne, but the dealers seem to apply it to all Porsches.
PCA forum link

Old 03-04-2005, 10:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
That is an option....but I think it would hurt them even more to simply stop buying a new Porsche every year or so.
Don,
I decided not to purchase the Carrera GT based on my Cayenne experience, and expressed it in written form to PCNA.
No reply.
No reply to the other non resolveable options with the Cayenne either.
(yes, the legal letterhead stationary was used....nothing).

Welcome to the new "stay independent at all costs, market to badge buyers, living on reputation" Porsche.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption