Old 03-04-2005, 10:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
[QUOTE=Renn 951]
Originally Posted by ltc
Can ANYONE find ANY other new car which states that 1qt of oil per 1K miles (or less) is considered NORMAL by the factory/manufacturer?

You get bonus points if you have this in writing.
QUOTE]
From the Tech Forum on the PCA website:

Question
After 9 months of ownership and 2,200 miles, my 2003 C4 Cab needed a quart of oil. There appears to be no leaks. Is this ordinary for the break in period, and what do you consider normal oil consumption after the break in?

Also I smell a burning odor after I turn off the car, but I think it has begun to diminish in strength.

Thank you.

Answer:
The burning smell is usually cosmoline when the car is new. That is a light brown colored goo sprayed on the underside of the car for protection.

As far as oil consumption, it should say in your owner's manual that it is normal for the engine to use up one quart per 600 miles (1000 km). More oil than that is not good. Yours is less than that by a factor of 4 so you're fine. Also, the consumption will be less after the initial breaking in.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 12/2/2003

There are other similar threads, saying the "spec" for 911's is not more that one qt. per 600 miles. Of course, that is a different engine than the Cayenne, but the dealers seem to apply it to all Porsches.
PCA forum link

"The burning smell is usually cosmoline when the car is new"

I didn't think cosmoline was applied to the Cayenne motors. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:10 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
2005 Turbo using 1 quart every 800 miles. Dealer checked for leaks and said this consumption is normal. Sent me home with case of Mobil One oil.

I can smell burning oil when car stops...is this really normal?
I've been using a quart per 1k miles since new (appx 9k now) That and all four tires evenly worn to the wear bars in 6k conservatively driven (95%+ by pregnant woman/woman with infant) was deemed "normal". If this sort of crap - along with the heinous hesitation - is "normal" (even if most aren't experiencing either), I'm not interested in that sort of engineering prowess. It's doubtful I'll buy another Pcar until and unless I feel they car remotely as much about their customers satisfaction as they do profits. My previous two 911s (993 and 996) as well as my current Carrera GT have been great (with the exception of a broken CGT glove box - replacement doesn't like staying shut - and fogged up headlights like the Cayenne had prior to it's TSB - though there isn't one for the CGT yet), but this Cayenne is a 5hitbox.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:36 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

DC - take the car back to the dealer. While they may claim 1 qt every 600 miles is "normal" no oil burning smell should be present. So far I've gotten more they 3K and I have not had to add any oil. My fingers are still crossed. Now the remote, that’s a different story, so don’t get me started on that Good luck
Old 03-05-2005, 11:06 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

It is being picked up on Monday. I had a ton of problems with my 2004 Turbo as well....I am running out of luck.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:33 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
2005 Turbo using 1 quart every 800 miles. Dealer checked for leaks and said this consumption is normal. Sent me home with case of Mobil One oil.

I can smell burning oil when car stops...is this really normal?
...it's true, it's normal, as per PORSCHE AG TOLERANCES (upto 1q per 600-1000 mi).

...it is NOT normal for any INTELLIGENT experienced professional driver...

You may want to understand the source of such UPPER tollerance level oil consumption and if possible to CORRECT that. Below are some possible causes:

- car engine assembled LESS accuratelly by the workers at the factory, than other Cays, on a "workers BAD day", for example, Mon. or Fri. or close to the Octoberfest...
(PS. NOT all Cays are affected... !)

- your incorrect driving style during brakein period and after that;
- your incorrect brakein oil change interval;
- your climate and operational conditions;
- some probability of defective engine components, for example rings and etc...

Before doing any RADICAL moves ("changing/selling" a car and etc...), try first to CORRECT possible listed above causes. It IS POSSIBLE TO SOME DEGREE to correct this after above happened!

Listed below are may be MOST helpfull suggestions.
...after the fact adjust your driving style for Cay to help to COMPLETE "incomplete" your engine brakein period and unseated rings and etc...

- keep oil level close to the MAX, add if necessary;
- drive Cay DAILY for at least 10-15 mi on higher speeds 60-80-xx mi/h with RMPs in the range of 3000-6000, give it a LOAD sometimes and VARY speed at 10-40 mi/h and 60-xx mi/h, LET car BREATHE...;
- warmup car for 2-3 min on idle and then drive SLOWER (< 2500 RMP) at the beginning until Cay engine reaches oil normal operating temp (indicator gauge in the middle...);
- after heavy driving before puting Cay to sleep into garage let it idle for 2 min. to clean/"ventilate itself" and cooldown gradually...
- try to avoid short trips (1-2 mi one way at 10-30 mi/h below 3000 RMP) if possible for at least this period of time.

Your Cay should stop excessive oil comsumption after about 1000-5000 mi.
If after above driving style adjustment and driving period your Cay does not stop consuming excessive oil, conclude, that your Cay engine problem is more serious and some your Cay engine components are NOT upto STANDARD quality. In such case sell your specific Cay and get the new one.

...my CayS consumed 0.5q per first 10K mi, then another 0.5q next 10K mi...

Last edited by ozr; 03-06-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:51 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4900 miles and I needed to add 1/2 qt @ 4300. I pretty much mirrored the above breakin procedure at the start. I keep my revs below 3500 for the first 1500 miles and used manual tip for my shifts. That way I was always able to maintain 2500 to 3000 revs no matter what gear I was in, In my opinion, in the auto mode with psm on, the tranny shifts to early. The car should not be in 5th gear when your only going 40 mph or so...

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption