Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V1 Install - Can you help me ID switched wire in overhead console?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default V1 Install - Can you help me ID switched wire in overhead console?

I did a search and most people wired their V1 into the fuse box. But I don't want to go that route.

Has anyone identified a switched wire in the overhead console? Can you help tell me which one, and where you connected the ground wire.

I have a sunroof.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:21 PM
thecleaner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick, Take down the console two torx screws above glass holder and two above lights, the light cover snaps down from the console to access the screws. As you look down on the top of the console there is a plug on the passenger side to the front which supplies power to the lighting controls. the red wire to the rear of the plug is a 12 volt ignition source. I then loosened the sunroof torx located to the left of the sunroof motor and attached the ground. It is a one beer job but can be streched to two if you need time away from the wife.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Thanks! I will do it tonight.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:34 AM
thecleaner
Instructor

Everything go ok Patrick?
Old 03-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Didn't get a chance to do it last night. I will either try tonight or on the weekend. I will post when finished. Thanks again for your help. It doesn't sound too hard from your description. I have removed the overhead console before when I installed the garage door buttons.

I assume you installed a V1. If so, what did you do with the extra cable? I should only need about a foot and it comes in 8 foot length. I am sure there is room up there, but I don't want it to rattle.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
thecleaner
Instructor

Use a zip tie and you can stash it over the pass visor
Old 03-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Well, I tried and did not have any luck. I cannot get power from that wire you describe. I found the plug, it seems to have about 10 thin wires coming from it. Is that what you mean? I used the V1 power tap clip, and used my power meter. I could not get power.

Help!
Old 03-04-2005, 09:00 AM
thecleaner
Instructor

Did you meter the wire at the plug to check or through the blue tap. The blue tap is too large and will not break the skin of the wire. You can use a red one or a red scotch lock tap. On the plug there are about 4 red wires starting in the rear and moving forward. I rec power in the last red one to the rear. Do you have the interior comfort lighting control in the overhead console
Old 03-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Texas993
Race Car

I finished it this morning. I ended up using the fusebox for a switched connection. Initially I was concerned about routing the wire to the fuse box, but there is plenty of room for a stealth install.

I did try a meter, and could not get a read on the wire you suggested. I don't know what comfort lighting is, but I have the three lights up there.

Everyone suggested using blank fuse number 42, that one was occupied for me, so I selected another blank one.

Thanks for your help. All was not lost, while I was up there in the overhead console I adjusted my garage remote. I works much better now - better range. My car did not come with homelink so I bought the buttons from Gert and soldered them to my remote. The way I initially installed the remote restricted its range. Flipping it over fixed the problem.

All the best...

Quick Reply: V1 Install - Can you help me ID switched wire in overhead console?