Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know difference between Euro vs. US Spec Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know difference between Euro vs. US Spec Cayenne?

I'm living in Germany but own a US spec 05 Cayenne Turbo. Anyone know the logistics of me selling that over here to a local? I understand and have heard horror stories of costs associated with converting a car either way, but this isn't a US made Corvette or something similar. This is a German car, made in and around Germany and granted, it has US specific parts perhaps (light, exhaust?), but to convert it to Euro spec can't be a huge overhaul....right?

The bottom-line is, I want to sell this car over here in Germany, does anyone know if that's something that seems feasible? I had a local dealership tell me today that the engine was "completely different" between the two versions and I couldn't do it. I don't believe him.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:34 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking forward to hearing other people's responses, but here's what I know (not too much) based on living in Germany and picking up a US spec Bimmer there...

In the old days you had to put a Catalytic Converter on it if it was destined for the US, but I understand that has changed...Germany is now all unleaded too so you shouldn't have to do that. I am sure the engine's are identical. Maybe it is tweaked for a certain type of Octane ... not sure.

In the US the lights are wired so that your parking lights come on first and then your headlights..so that when your headlights are on, your parking lights are also on. I believe in Europe the two systems are completely separate (as they should be!).

There may also be different specs/requirements for the brakes..but Porsche's have pretty good braked ot begin with so I doubt they are different either...

Hope this helps...as I said, I'm looking forward to hearing from others too...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:51 AM
pedrolo
Intermediate

In EU cayenne turbo models have black corduroy lining in the roof instead of foam like US CT.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The PCMII is also different, the phone system is active in the Euro version
Old 01-15-2005, 02:27 AM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default US vs Ger Spec CTT

Mudman is correct, the only big difference is the PCM-Telephone setup. Otherwise the differences are really minor and require either conversion or approval by a German TUV person (sort of minor on this vehicle). The CAT is not a problem these days. As for the headliner, I believe all CTT models come with Alcantara (to match the leather color). Brakes (Brembo 6f/4r piston) are identical. Now would Porsche make a US & German version of the engine - I think not ($$$). The engines are identical according to the book - but I will check today with my Porsche dealer.
The biggest thing for a perspective German buyer is the re-import duties and German taxes. The customs (Zoll) and sales tax(Mwst) could add up to about 24% of the the price you and the buyer declare (and it had better be reasonable or the officials will set it for you). Also, if this vehicle has US Forces plates, it must have been licensed and driven for a minimum of 6 months(or it can't be turned over to a local in Europe). Other than that, selling almost any car over here is relatively simple nowadays - it's all a matter of the right forms and the appropriate amount of cash for the buyer. You may want to get it real clean, take some really good photos and advertise in The Niederland (Holland) - they have a much simpler way of doing business. I can send a PM about that. I will let you know about the engine later today. JW
Old 01-15-2005, 04:52 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't forget that the side marker behave differently on US vs. Euro spec'd cars. They are blinkers on Euro cars, not just lights. Don't know if you would have to convert them though.
And the buttons on the PCM differ as well.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:04 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the info, I'll have to look into it. Even with the inevitable taxes and conversion, I'm thinking with the Euro vs. Dollar like it is, I could just about break even on the car.

JW3- I PM-ed you. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 AM
JeffES
Pro

Here's a brief list:
ECU programming
Exterior Lighting
Gauge cluster
PCM unit
Antenna array (concealed in the "spoiler" above the rear window)
... not sure @ window glass (esp side window)
and there are a few other little items..... ORVM & CHMSL anyone???
Rest assured, it's a pain.
J

Quick Reply: Anyone know difference between Euro vs. US Spec Cayenne?