Sponsored by:

Question about Wood Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 12:47 PM
jase700
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question about Wood Kit

I have seen the wood kits on the Porshce website. Can they be added after the fact, or does it have to come from the factory that way?

j
Old 01-08-2005, 01:01 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can be added.

The only part that is a real pain is the one (yes it's two pieces of wood but they attach to one plastic mounting plate) by the ignition. You might find it worthwhile getting a new mounting plate instead of trying to reuse the existing one.

Come to think of it, getting the springs back in place for the door in the center console that covers the 12v power sockets was at test in patience also.

I wouldn't do the wheel since you loose the heating with one that's not leather.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Aeson
Advanced

The do have OEM wood kits often on ebay. But the steering wheel is a different story.

From what I understand, changing the steering wheel after the fact is fairly difficult - I guess with the airbags and electronics. HOWEVER, the wood steering wheel simply makes the interior. I have a garage and live in Florida so a heated steering wheel wouldn't do me any good - especially when you can't control it.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I want to upgrade to the Aluminum trim set. Anyone know where to get a clean used set?

Old 01-10-2005, 02:43 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

jase700...what interior do you have? in my humble opinion, wood only looks good on certain interiors (usually beige/tan/stuff like that).

ljugete: if aluminium is the same as arctic silver, there is a guy on ebay who has every piece for dirt cheap (we're talkin like starting at 10$ and whatnot). i've also got a silver shifter for sale.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:57 AM
jase700
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually don't have any interior yet. Have been looking at buying an '04S. Think that the wood trim would look good with the tan leather. I like the aluminum trim on the black interior.

Just trying to see what my options were if I purchased a car that wasn't exactly spec'd the way I wanted.

jason
Old 01-10-2005, 11:40 AM
bancu
Racer

I agree that the contrast of the aluminum looks great with the darker interiors. That's why I got it originally. That written, the dark wood makes the interior look warm and (surprisingly to me) the light wood provides contrast and doesn't look bad either. You really have to see them to judge.

The other thing to consider isn't just the way it looks on the 'floor' but how it's going to look down the line. I recommend that you take a look at the door trim pieces on a few used Cayennes with the aluminum (not silver/titanium plastic that's stock on the CS) package.

The problem is that Porsche's execution and placement of the door trim pieces on the Cayenne makes them prone to denting and scratching. I don't know why (too thin?, too soft?...its only a few mm shell over plastic mounting hardware) but it does dent. We're not talking about from heavy use or abuse either. I ended with dents in one of the pieces in the rear where only a two or three people had sat.

You also need to keep in mind that the trim has a 'frosted' not brushed finish. I can't see how even small scratches could be 'buffed' out of it and get you anywhere near the original frosted finish.

Don't get me wrong, I still think I like the 'metal' look the best. The aluminum just didn't hold up for me in contact areas even under light use in my back seat area. I've seen similar dents in the loaners Cayenne that I've gotten from dealer even in the driver's seat area. Maybe Porsche should have gone with brushed stainless instead?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

bancu, You are right. I did see some scratches on a loaner CS and wondered how well the Aluminum trim, in general would hold out in the long run. At least the stock trim can be banged up without these issues.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:51 AM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wood Kits

I was at the Porsche Zentrum, in Zuffenhausen, a few weeks ago (sort of a ritual for me) and among the 25 or 30 Cayennes on the lot was a CTT in Basalt Black & smooth black leather interior and the matte finish Olive Wood package (to include the steering wheel). The contrast of the black leather and Olive Wood was striking and very nice - the feel of the Olive Wood is almost erotic! On the same cloud was a CTT in Titanium with the complete Sport Design Package (nice setup) and black leather with a combination of Aluminum (console, doors and ****er base) & Carbon Fiber (steering wheel, shifter, console and overhead grab handles - above each door) - and this was very cool. But if your into wood at all, check out the Olive Wood - look and touch - this is some nice stuff. Good luck. JW

Quick Reply: Question about Wood Kit