Sponsored by:

Cayenne S vs. LR3

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 12:57 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LR3 is a direct replacement for the Discovery..not the Freelander. It's very comparable to the Cayenne, even though it has a different emphasis on features
Old 01-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
Hmmm... right up until you need a live axle (which the RR mimics) or a spare tire (that the RR has... in full size no less).

John
...check,

The S has the locking differential and the ability to transfer grip to wheels that still have some (with PSM off).

Additionally, it has it's own compresser and a bottle of (??? gunk, latex???)

So there....

Jaro...

"Just a comment, LR3 is a direct replacement for the Freelander. Freelander and X3 and Cherokee and RX are in the same class. The full size RR HSE and C are directly comparable vehicles with RR being more of the luxurious one with also a larger sticker price."

That's what I thought, but the RR & LR3 have 113" wheelbases. It was speculated that the LR3 chassis may replace BMW designed RR chassis, and that makes sense.

So for you RR fans, there is a mislabeled Explorer in your future....
Old 01-09-2005, 11:26 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Haha... I suppose the fix-a-flat is better to foil the inner city car jacking also.

"Hey... get out of my car... squirrrrrt" leading to "Aaaaaagh.. my eyes.. what the hell is that stuff?"

John

Originally Posted by Torags
...check,

The S has the locking differential and the ability to transfer grip to wheels that still have some (with PSM off).

Additionally, it has it's own compresser and a bottle of (??? gunk, latex???)

So there....

Jaro...

That's what I thought, but the RR & LR3 have 113" wheelbases. It was speculated that the LR3 chassis may replace BMW designed RR chassis, and that makes sense.

So for you RR fans, there is a mislabeled Explorer in your future....
Old 01-11-2005, 09:18 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

And not only does the Cayenne drive like a "heavy" car, but still a car, it tows like a Banshee! Just think of the safety margin towing with those rotors up front in case some weird brake accident occurs.

My humble opinion, the Cayenne is the "Porsche" of SUV's and I mean that literately and figuratively!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
Haha... I suppose the fix-a-flat is better to foil the inner city car jacking also.

"Hey... get out of my car... squirrrrrt" leading to "Aaaaaagh.. my eyes.. what the hell is that stuff?"

John
Sounds like a Bill Murray movie. Say... I would go see Murray in a movie - where he's a bling/bling Vegas guy w Cayenne.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:10 PM
BenLee
Instructor

Originally Posted by JFScheck
And not only does the Cayenne drive like a "heavy" car, but still a car, it tows like a Banshee! Just think of the safety margin towing with those rotors up front in case some weird brake accident occurs.

My humble opinion, the Cayenne is the "Porsche" of SUV's and I mean that literately and figuratively!
I completely agree! And the Cayenne is one of a kind.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 AM
thomas
Instructor

The LR3 does not share its chassis with the Ford Explorer.

The Ford Explorer was basically all-new for 2002.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/02explorer.htm

"Combining the benefits of a stiff monocoque, normally found in cars, with the strength and off-road toughness made possible by a traditional separate chassis frame, the LR3's structure allows Land Rover to aspire to sedan-like on-road attributes, while continuing its expected high standards in off-road performance."

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jl/05lr3.htm

The 4.4l V-8 used in the Land Rover LR3 is based on Jaguar's 4.2l V-8. Jaguar's 4.2l V8 is much more reliable than the 4.0l Jaguar V-8, has more power, is smoother, and pollutes less.

Note: Jaguar's V-8 is not a Ford V-8

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.html

The 2006 Range Rover will get the LR3's 300 hp V-8 and has an available supercharged 390 hp 4.2l V-8.

The 06 Range Rover Sport uses a shortened LR3's chassis and is available with a 300 hp V-8 and a supercharger 4.2l V-8.

by the way, the 06-07 Jaguar XK8 will get the new XJ's aluminum chassis. The next S-Type might get the XJ's aluminum chassis, too. An 05 Super V8 (long wheelbase XJ, loaded w/ 390 hp V-8 and Brembos) weighs over 800 pounds less than the BMW 760Li). X-Type needs to die soon, imo.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...ange-Rover.htm

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...over-Sport.htm

don't care for the grille but I guess they wanted something from the concept...

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...er-Concept.htm

p.s. I might sound like a well-informed car salesman saying all this stuff but I just happened to see this thread..sorry.

p.s.s. Get a new Dodge Magnum SRT-8 instead! (looks like a hot rod!)

http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/dodgemagnumsrt8.html
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

""Combining the benefits of a stiff monocoque, normally found in cars, with the strength and off-road toughness made possible by a traditional separate chassis frame,"

How can they do that when the coach is bolted to the rail frame, sentence is hype. You have one or the other.

No judgements on which is better....
Old 01-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Its a hybrid chassis combining the best of both...

Details from edmunds.com...

Integrated body frame is just a fancy way of saying that the LR3's traditional ladder frame is aided in crash-worthiness by a body that has almost unibodylike strength. In most typical body-on-frame designs, the frame provides all the strength while the bolted-on body simply holds the passengers. The LR3's body, though, has extra strong sills that literally envelope its frame. So closely does it wrap around, in fact, that in the case of an accident, the body is forced into the frame rails greatly adding to its strength. Land Rover says that this significantly increases resistance during offset crashes, the common bugaboo of body-on-frame designs.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:59 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Range Rover Sport

I belive that Ford's plan is to use the Range Rover Sport as the Cayenne response. If you look at that SUV, you'll find a similar package including a supercharged Jag engine.

Alex
Old 01-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

"ladder frame is aided in crash-worthiness by a body that has almost unibodylike strength" Operative word here is almost.

Is that independant suspension? The bottom wishbone looks like it's on the ladder frame.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:31 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

It would seem that something significant is happening at Land Rover.

The technology developed for the new LR3 is going to migrate upward into the the new RR. E.G. the Jaguar engine (normal (305HP and super charged (390HP) is going to be installed in 06 RR, available June 05 (just got a call from the dealer 'inviting" me to order one)). Some Companies migrate the technologhy down from the high end.

So on the next iteration of the RR body expect to see the LR3 techniques employed.

Their response to the Cayenne is the RR Sport which is built on the LR3 chassis, and I'm sure that the LR 3 is going to steal a lot of sales from the RR.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

What about a Touareg V8? $20k cheaper than a CS. Is it that much different? (Just a question - never driven one).

Last edited by ADias; 01-13-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:21 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

The current Range Rover uses a BMW 4.4 ltr powerplant that reportedly cost Ford as much as a fully completed Mustang. They have to change powerplants. Rumor is an Aston 12 Cylinder engine will be dropped in as well.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Range Rover update means new engine orders for Welsh Ford plant

13 Jan 2005

Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Ford's Bridgend Engine Plant has received new orders from Ford Motor Company-owned brands Land Rover and Volvo.

Two of the three engines in the 2006 Range Rover launched at the Detroit motor show this week are Bridgend-built.

Land Rover has ordered two V8 petrol units made in South Wales for its top model – a supercharged 4.2-litre and standard 4.4-litre, which are both also shipped to Jaguar for the XJ, XK and S-Type models. Ford Bridgend already supplies V8s for Land Rover's Discovery model.

This year Ford Bridgend will supply an additional 17,000 V8s for the 2006 Range Rover which will be launched in Britain this spring.

The plant has also started building 1.6-litre, four cylinder petrol Zetec SE engines for Volvo's new S40 saloon. The launch of a 1.6-litre S40 means 10,000 extra units will be supplied from Bridgend to Volvo this year.

The new business for Ford Bridgend helps the plant towards its goal of producing a million engines a year by 2010. Volumes of its four cylinder Zetec are likely to top 535,000 this year and the V8 engine lines have an annual capacity of 55,000 units.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs. LR3