Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne S vs. LR3

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,251 Posts

The reviews I read for the LR3 is that it is very heavy and even with the new added power it offers little to no improvement over the previous design. Nice vehicle but may leave you wanting more.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:46 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Range Rover HSE '03. It is absolutely the best car I have ever owned or for that matter driven in. The service from Bellevue Land Rover has been superb much better then the local Porsche/Audi dealer. I have had a couple of small issues, but nothing that wasn't diagnosed and fixed quickly (such as condensation in a fog light).

It is great off-road. It mimics a live axle with a little trick of cross linking the suspension air bags. Plus.... drum roll please... it has a full size spare tire!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, Range Rovers are great..but only if they are new...then they slowly but surely fall apart...hey...it is a Ford after all...a very very overpriced Ford
Old 01-06-2005, 01:23 AM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Well, okay I suppose, if you say so. But I have 43,000 miles on mine. A friend has 26000 miles on a like '03. Another has an older version that is in great shape, plus a Defender and Camel Disco.

From my sample your comment isn't true. But then again it probably isn't representative of the whole population of Rovers.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:21 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Though I haven't really checked it out, personally I don't care for the LR3 and I would be much more worried about quality and repairs with it. But FWIW, having recently traded my wife's 04 CS for an 05 CS (long story...), I can say that the 04 did have a number of small bugs, mostly electrical, but it certainly wasn't horrible. Just before delivery of the 05 (which was delayed a month while the 05 Cayennes were held at the harbor, possibly while Porsche finished up TSB's), the dealer had to do something like 15 items of TSB's. The 05 is perfect so far. I THINK that most of the early bugs have finally been worked out now. If you got a super deal on an 04, I assume they would have to do all the TSB's on it too (obviously should be confirmed), but it may be just as good as an 05.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:09 AM
GM Austin
Pro

The jury is still out on the current state of Land Rover reliability, which is widely reported to be one of the worst of any auto manufacturer. Jaro's comment about Ford's ownership seems to miss the mark. I have spoken to Land Rover mechanics who are very hopeful that reliability will improve under Ford's ownership.

Don't get me wrong, I like Land Rovers, and I think the LR3 is a very interesting new product. There are plenty of good reasons to buy a Land Rover, but, their past reputation for reliability is not one of them. Let's hope it gets better.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:16 AM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fair comment GM....let's see what the 2-3 years show...no way would I buy a LR3 now without seeing how the quality improves under Ford.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:06 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

My wife and I test drove the LR3 recently. Seem to drive ok, but felt really truck-like. Much like a body-on-frame platform, which it is. The dealer took us on the 'rock' inclination demo that is commonly built next to most dealers, which is pretty impressive as you feel as if your gonna roll the thing. Total 37deg lateral tilt on this demonstration, which feels like 50degrees!

We liked the roominess of the third row seating, standard equipment list was impressive as well. This was on the SE model, as the HSE was not available at that time (mid Dec.). The one thing that turned me off about it was the fact that for the $50K SE, you didnt even get a memory seat/mirror package. WTF? When asked, I was told one has to buy the HSE model to get memory seats.

Couple of other funny things happened: The sales guy was demonstrating some features, as we were sitting in one LR3. He went to raise the air suspension and it didnt work, even after he had many excuses like, oh this is why, the doors are open, or, oh this is why is doesnt work, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal. After about four or five of these 'oh this is why it doesnt work' statements, the salesman said, 'it must need to be programmed'.. Yeah right. We then moved to another LR3, only to find something on it not working, then moved on to another to finally find one that didnt appear to have any problems.

Didnt care for the seats, door panels seem really thick, not leaving any room to rest your arm. My wife did like it (save for the memory seat limitations) as she felt she could see out the back really well. Our local dealer was asking full sticker plus some, no discounting. Probably why there overflow lot was FULL of new LR3's and really nobody in the dealer even looking at them.

My vote is for the Cayenne!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:48 PM
BenLee
Instructor

I looked at the LR3 last weekend. Nice car for the money but I didn't get a chance to test drive it. Based on its magazine test results, however, the LR3 appears to be more like a soft riding truck. I doubt it will handle anywhere close to a Cayenne on-road so it depends what you're looking for. If I needed the extra space or 3rd row seating, I would consider the LR3 over the MDX or XC90. I think it looks great. Have you looked at the new V70R? 300HP, AWD, 6-speed manual, decent handling, ~low 40s. If I needed another family car, the V70R would be a nice compliment to the Cayenne S. That will be a depressing day because it means either the 996 or S2000 is saying 'good-bye'. You could probably also chip the V70R to get more HP and lots more torque. Okay, maybe more information than you asked for.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know a lot of LR owners have had problems with their Disco's, Series I and II. But my 1999 Discovery Series II with just about everything on it, has been a great vehicle, yes it has had some problems, nothing really major and the dealership has taken care of it. I do take it off road. I have not driven an LR3, but was impressed with what the claims by LR are. It is priced more than the Disco was and I think this will hurt it. If I am going to spend that kind of money to replace it, I would consider a Cayenne or Toureg diesel.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can't buy the Toureg Diesel in California.

My Disco was also fine, test drove the new LR3 and it was fantastic. I frankly don't understand some of the above comments..and as for the magazine reviews, sometimes they have their heads in a very dark place.

I'm conflicted over buying the LR3 versus the RR (slight nod), in addition to the Cayenne because it has more room.

If it's not an "either or" situation then you can evaluate the cars differently. If it's choice of one, it comes down to functionality, space versus driveability and the roads traversed.

With either of these cars, there is no wrong answer!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm hoping Calif. comes to it's senses in the next couple of years when I plan to replace the Disco.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:14 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

as i said in another board,

i was very impressed with LR3 the price & the options it came standard. the best part is the 7 roomy seats. i didn't mind the boxy looking as well & found that pretty cool design. however, after i test drove it i didn't like it at all. it's a totally truck. very slow. handles poorly. corners like a boat. well, nothing wrong with that since it's a truck. but the Cayenne is different. it handles even better than some of the sedans. depends on what u're looking for, both cars are great cars but was designed for different purposes IMO.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 PM
BenLee
Instructor

Originally Posted by 20C4S
as i said in another board,

i was very impressed with LR3 the price & the options it came standard. the best part is the 7 roomy seats. i didn't mind the boxy looking as well & found that pretty cool design. however, after i test drove it i didn't like it at all. it's a totally truck. very slow. handles poorly. corners like a boat. well, nothing wrong with that since it's a truck. but the Cayenne is different. it handles even better than some of the sedans. depends on what u're looking for, both cars are great cars but was designed for different purposes IMO.
I agree completely except that I think the Cayenne handles better than MOST sedans. Personally, I like the look of the LR3 but will only consider getting it when the Cayenne runs out of space.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Ben,
was considered to say MOST but was worried to get flamed. so decided to stick with SOME.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs. LR3