Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freaky transmission experience...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 AM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy freaky transmission experience...

Today I was standing at a light before getting onto a entrance ramp to the tollway and as the light turned green I punched the car pretty hard and reached 50-60mph or so at the end of the entrance ramp and was at about 5500 rpm and the tranny was stuck at D3 and would not shift up!!! I released the accelerator and still nothing until I switched to manual mode...Got a bit freaked out as this has not happened. In my experience with auto/manuals I expect the tranny to shift up the moment I relase the accelerator but in this case is has not happened....now this was about 5 minutes after the star of the car in about 30F temperature. What do you think? DO I have a issue?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:21 AM
gchu
Advanced

I had the similiar problem before. After a hard accelerate when exited a trun, the CS didn't up shift even I release the gas pedal and going downhill for some time. I don't remember was it before all the TB & updates, but it happened to me as well.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:32 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me once too. I guess its a 1/100 chance of it happening again
Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its more likely to happen again. I have had it a couple of times, it seems that when you kick hard enough to switch programmes it does not expect you to then back off and takes a while (lifetime) to figure it out.

I tested it, if you just keep going to mach 1 it does change up, but at max revs. In those cases I usually switch to manual to make sure it does what I want to do.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
WCS
Instructor

It is a 'feature' of tiptronics. There is a angular sensor on the steering wheel that senses if you're in a turn. The gear stays the same when you're inside a turn. After exiting the turn it will resume shifting.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 AM
suneet
Advanced

I've noticed this several times, and while it is much different from any ther automatic I've driven, it is pretty cool. The system seems to think you are going to keep driving hard and just keeps the gear low, in case you are going to blast it again. When it happens I either throw it into manual and upshift, or slow down a little bit until gets the point.

- Suneet
Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM
JARO
Pro

well, slowing down did not help...I had to shift to manual to get back...I was also out of the turn...I think Porsche has gone OTT with the electronics on this car....I think most other carmakers have overdone it as well. Oh well, will learn to accept it and learn to deal with it. The car still rocks...best I've ever driven...little stuff does not take away from me enjoying this machine
Old 12-03-2004, 03:22 PM
WCS
Instructor

There is a delay between you exit the turn and when it resumes shifting.
It doesn't matter whether you drive hard or not; it will hold the gears - these are separate features. When you drive harder or when you start from a traffic light, you'll enter the turn at lower gear and that's why it revs higher than you'd like.

When you drive like a grandma, the gear may be too high before the turn so it will feel like a 5 ton vehicle cauz the gear will stay high during and after the turn.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal operation. It holds the gear when your drive like that. It anticipates that you may hammer the throttle again. If you did nothing it would have eventually shifted on it own.

Quick Reply: freaky transmission experience...