TPMS problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 04:16 AM
nealM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS problem?

I have a question regarding TPMS.

When I start up the car, it says it is 2 psi low in the RR tire for a second or two. However, when I start driving the tire pressures of both rear tires correspond and there is no message on the multi function display, only the symbol on the instrument cluster. Any ideas what is going on? I did try airing up the RR and the low pressure symbol is still on the instrument cluster.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:57 AM
GM Austin
Pro

The senders do not transmit continuously so it may be taking time to adjust. I have noticed this adjustment period myself, especially first thing in the morning. Sometimes it is actually low though and will need to be aired up. I think part of the reason is the lower temperatures at night. You might also look at the other menu for pressure readings, under Main Menu. Rather than a total psi reading for each tire, you get a + or - psi showing deviations from correct pressure. You must be stopped to see this display. To answer your question, I think your TPMS is functioning normally.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:32 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

On my first Cayenne I could never get the pressures to read consistently equal, in each wheel, for any period of time, no matter how much I fine tuned with small air adjustments.

It drove me crazy, because I always thought that I needed to adjust pressures again. Finally, I decided it was a worthless option (more trouble than it was worth) and I left it off the second one, and bought a $17 tire guage to leave in the car.

It brought back memories of the 928 when you would get a random warning that the RF tire was low, at high speed you just couldn't ever afford to ignore it, but it was always a false alarm.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:39 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually have just turned mine off and don't really miss it
Old 11-25-2004, 11:47 AM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is nothing like a 11 dollar gauge I bought from Costco...Found that I was on average 7 pound lower than I should be between the Cay and the 325i. Best 10+ bucks I spent for a while. One of the business areas at my company is actually giving those out for free to employees as part of their safety campaign.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:27 PM
1988carrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colm
it was a worthless option (more trouble than it was worth) and I left it off the second one, and bought a $17 tire guage to leave in the car.
I agree...very temperamental/useless option. I had it on my ex-Touareg and decided not to get it on the CS.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is a great option and I would get it again. My system works fine. I think the biggest benefit would be warning of rapid tire deflation, more than anything else.

Anyway, I often have my screen set to the TPMS so I can see the tire pressures at all times. I have a very accurate gauge and the system is off by about one pound, however.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:43 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Periokid
I have a very accurate gauge and the system is off by about one pound, however.
That's outside my tolerance level!

Quick Reply: TPMS problem?