Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Nav for Cayenne ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Kayenne
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Nav for Cayenne ????

Hi all,
I did a search on the forum but couldn't find any answer so I'm asking you guys...
Is there anyway to fit an aftermarket Nav system in the Cayenne, either in place of the radio unit or as an add-in...how hard is the mounting and wiring ?
Any pictures and info ?
Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
suneet
Advanced

I remember there was someone on renntech forums doing an Alpine nav install into the extra DIN slot under the standard cd system. He didn't have any trouble at all except for finding where the car's speed sensor wires were, and I believe on the PCM they come directly from the speedometer guages. I reccomend Alpine, my dad's 745i has Alpine screens and they're beautiful.

- Suneet
Old 11-17-2004, 10:56 PM
DutchCS
Intermediate

"I remember there was someone on renntech forums doing an Alpine nav install into the extra DIN slot under the standard cd system."

I was told that the only way you could get audio from that on the Porsche system speakers would be through FM modulation..... thanks to MOST

Still wondering if you could run something like the Pioneer AVIC N1 with a seperate amp to the stock speakers...smart relay perhaps. i'd hate to lose all of the the Bose system I have...

http://www.avic-n1.com/
Old 11-17-2004, 11:28 PM
suneet
Advanced

You wont have to get rid of your factory cd player, alpine's Nav systems are simply dvd players with GPS antennas. They connect to a screen that is either included or you get depending on which system you want. You wouldn't need to use the the drive to play music cd's, only navigation directions, which you could do using an FM modulator. The screen included wiht the NAV 200 can be put anywhere with a swivel base. The other option is mounting the nav drive under a seat, using the remote for control and putting a stand-alone DIN screen under the factory radio and running a video cable from the drive to the screen, and an audio cable to a wirless FM modulator anywhere (~$50 dollars). Now, if you wanna watch DVD's, then the FM modulator definitley doesn't put forth the best quality audio, but with audiopilot off it isn't bad. You shouldn't really be watching DVD's in the front seat anyways, and if you want the people in the back to watch it, I'd suggest an IR transmitter and some headphones. I know Pyle audio makes standalone motorized screens for less than 300 dollars for a good widescreen if you search online.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Nav for Cayenne ????