Sponsored by:

New Cayenne Owner with comments and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 03:00 AM
SkiScot
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cayenne Owner with comments and questions

Picked up my new Cayenne S three weeks ago, I am experiencing the exact same frustration levels associated with condesation in the headlamps. I feel slightly better now knowing that I am not alone.
Just got the car back from the dealer after 19 service actions (that's the phrase they gave me) were performed. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of the condensation fix.
They also "fixed" my key fob, but I need to be within 5 feet before it operates.
Is this normal?
Oh by the way, the reason the car went into the dealership in the first place was that the driver's side windshield wiper blade flew off in a rainstorm while I was travelling at 65 mph...anyone else experienced this?
Oh yes, funny how there were several "service actions" on the wipers...mmmmm
Great site, I will be a frequent visitor.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:38 AM
WCS
Instructor

Condensation is a standard fix. Don't worry, just find a good dealer. My previous dealer broke the housing and claimed it wasn't their fault; fortunately another dealer fixed it under warranty.

For the key fob range, ask them to check the antenna. It is also a standard fix.

I've heard some owners' wipers (including mine) aren't working well; presumably they were damanged before delivery. Also a very minor fix.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:36 PM
SkiScot
3rd Gear

WCS, Thanks for the comments. I am in the SF south bay too, can you recommend a "good" dealer. I am having hassles with the one where I bought my car.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:39 PM
andre5
Instructor

SkiScot, Is yours an '04 or '05?
Old 10-23-2004, 01:40 PM
SkiScot
3rd Gear

It's an '04
Old 10-23-2004, 02:29 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steven's Creek Porsche is my preferred dealer (and I've dealt with most of the others over a 20 year period), if you're having a problem there go see James Butler (Sales Manager) and tell him I sent you!
Old 10-23-2004, 03:14 PM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by SkiScot
It's an '04
We just picked up an '05 CS 2 weeks ago. Only issue we're having is the condensation in the headlamps. Otherwise, everything else is working great (crosses fingers).
Old 10-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Brian Haske at Carlsen Porsche in Menlo Park....won't bring my P-Cars to anyone else...top notch.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Originally Posted by SkiScot
WCS, Thanks for the comments. I am in the SF south bay too, can you recommend a "good" dealer. I am having hassles with the one where I bought my car.
Brian Haske at Carlsen in Menlo Park. Very good service. Best thing is that he's actually on e-mail. I handle all my business with him via mail and when I get there, he's got the mail printed out and ready for the service guys. Saves time and effort. This my second p-car, so I've been going to them for a while.

Kimo (don't know his last name) at Claridges in Fremont is good also. I work in Mountain View and they will come to my office to pick up the pepper and return it back to me. Not bad.

Alex
Old 10-24-2004, 04:29 AM
WCS
Instructor

Carlsen is great. I have had very positive experiences with their services. Brian and Beto are both good to work with.

Stevens Creek, I've got some bad experiences with them.. in the process of fixing the condensation problem, my headlight stopped working and after several trips, they determined that it wasn't their responsibility. I've stayed away from them since. But again it is just my personal experience; your mileage may vary.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:13 PM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

SkiScot,

We would not take delivery of our Cayenne until all of the TSB's had been applied. This includes the Headlight condensation issue, the Tip Adaptive Learning update, the key FOB distance fix and about 7-9 others for our 04 "6". It had all 04 and 05 updates coming out the door from the dealership (as it should be).

Two issues here: First the dealer should not send/deliver without all applicable updates to the customer - that's an integrity issue.

Second, when they get or have 10-20 cayennes onsite, all requiring these updates, which can be up to a day per vehicle, and they're dealing with the rest of the P-car service work orders, not enough hours or hands in the day to get to it.

Thus, Cayennes 'might' go out the door without appropriate fixes. I'd check to ensure you've got everything applied.

Grant
Old 10-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default WCS, Kirby, Colm, other SouthBay

Did you all buy your cars at your preferred service site. Bought my CS in Fresno (Michael Porsche) and have used T&D for 20 years for my 911s. However, last time at T&D the wheel was dinged and I didn't notice till several days later; so, ... I am looking for a service dept. Only 5M miles on the CS and no problems, but am interested in your comments. WCS and Colm seem to have had different experiences with Anderson-Behel.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:41 AM
WCS
Instructor

I did not buy the car there. I started using Carlsen after my previous experiences with the original dealer.
They are all Porsche certified, maybe my experience is limited to one particular service advisor...
Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Glenn Northrop
Track Day

Default One Year in my Cayenne S

I just passed the one year mark and 12k on my Pepper S. I'd like to pass on a few comments for both new and prospective owners.

Most of my driving has been highway. I have driven cross country (Seattle to Michigan and back) twice and the Cayenne was outstanding on the road. On my last trip back to Seattle I pulled a medium sized UHaul trailer with ease. If I hadn't seen it in my rear view mirror, I wouldn't have know it was there. BTW, I averaged 74 mph for the three day trip (ave. 820 miles per day).

I recently took the Pepper into my local dealership, Barrier Porsche in Bellevue, WA. They had the vehicle for a week (PCA paid for my rental) and fixed the following items:

-Very annoying squeek eminating from the back seat/rear of the interior. This squeek did NOT eminate from the seat latches, but was of a more exotic origin. It took a number of road tests before the service crew isolated the problem: a poorly installed rear window assembly that actually had a number of sheered off attachment points. Solution: replacement of the entire window assembly....squeek is totally gone!

-Replace the drivers side cover for the headlight washer. This part flew off somewhere in South Dakota.

-Took care of all the recalls from the past year.
-Replaced both remote keys and tested the sometimes mysterious "park n' lock" feature.
-Replaced two small trim covers on the outboard side of the seat rails. One sheered off and the other refused to stay on.
-Cured the ubiquitous condensation in the headlights issue.
-Unclogged the rear window washer.
-Lastly, replaced all four tires (I paid for half) as the OEM units were the MOST DANGEROUS TIRES I have ever driven on in snow and ice. I had a long talk with two factory representatives about how most Cayenne owners didn't realize that the OEM treads were more suitable for South California track events than a silly romp in the snow in Michigan. Subsequently, you can see that almost all Peppers are now ordered with the no cost "all season" tire option. The new Pirelli Scorpion Zero's are excellent so far, although they have only seen the rain of Seattle.

All in all the Cayenne is an excellent vehicle that has managed to maintain the Porsche heritage. It still turns heads after one year. My nieces V8 Tourag is also an outstanding vehicle...but is still only 75% of my S.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Default List of Updates????

Hi all,
I'm new to the Cayanne board....
Just picked up an 04 "S"
(Feel like I got a great deal.)
I know there are a lot of updates the dealer has to do.
Does anyone have the full list of what I should expect them to do?
I go in on Monday to get the Service updates done....and a CD
changer put in.

Want to know if they miss anything.....

Sounds like some of you have had the works done...
Can you please post them?

Many Thanks In Advance

Quick Reply: New Cayenne Owner with comments and questions