Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 09:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post My Cayenne lives for yet another day

Disclaimer: If my local Porsche dealer sold Kia's, I'd be driving one. These guys are simply amazing for customer care, service expertise, you name it. Couldn't ask for a better group of people.
If it weren't for my local Porsche dealer, the Cayenne would have been gone long ago. The car is simply a disappointing compromise, a completely uninspiring vehicle with few redeeming qualities and probably does not deserve to wear the Porsche crest. But, it is what it is and this is only the beginning for Porsche.

Good news: After 4 pages of service sheets, recalls, TSB's and who knows what else:

1. The new remote controls work from 100 feet, not 100 inches! No longer do I have to throw the remote control at the car in a feeble attempt to get the doors to open.

2. The W516 DME reprogramming has brought the throttle response back to where you can almost forget about eGas.

3. The updated brake pads don't squeal and attract every dog within 100 yards of the vehicle.

4. Wiper blades that really work. Nice.

5. Lots of misc stuff, W406 trailer controller reprogrammed, W424 headlight ventilation kit, alignment on Beissbarth 4000 (very nice setup).
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine is in today for all the recalls plus mounting a winter set of tires. My dealer, Claridges in Fremont, CA, is excellent and I drive a few extra miles there as there are a couple of other dealers closer. When I read various posts, and the frustrations that some experience, I feel very fortunate that I have a great dealer that really strives to do the right thing.

As far as the vehicle is concerned, I really like mine. My loaner is an ML, and what a world of difference. There is lots of engineering and complexity in the Cayenne, and that's a good thing as its capable of better performance through the software/firmware updates. In the first year of such a complex vehicle, there are bound to be problems. Porsche does not have a monoply on this. My 2000 X5 4.4 had problem after problem that never could be solved, and the factory eventually bought it back -- after 3 years. Sure, there are some anoyances such as the poor quality of the navigation maps, and the outragous price for updates, but overall, I'm quite happy. Granted, I have not had any major problems, and if I had, I'm sure I would feel differently.

Lewis, it seems like your dealer is taking good care of you, as well.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:59 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Phil,

Did you buy the Cayenne from Claridge? Can you give me the names of the service guys you dealt with again? I havent gone there, but I called Rector where I bought my V6, there are updates for my car, but I'm thinking of just going to Fremont since you've experience them and they give loaners. Rector have a rental car place within the facility, ihad to pay when i brought my A4 there for service.
thanks..
Old 10-20-2004, 03:04 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Never mind Phil, I found the thread, Kimo and Rick right? thanks anyways...I'll get back to you on the result...
Old 10-20-2004, 09:58 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Alex, I did buy my CT from Claridges, but I'm sure Kimo will take good care of you regardless of where you bought yours -- tell him I sent you. Each time I take it in, it seems to take 2 days to get the work done, but since I get a loaner, it doesn't bother me. They give me a rental car voucher, you walk through the workshop, take a right, and Enterprise is right there. I alway get a Mercedes @ no charge; no waiting either.

BTW, what's going to be interesting is the W516 DME update since I had some transmission adaption work done about a month ago that cured the lag and improved performance significantly. Some have reported improved performance with the W516 update, so it should be really really good. Right?

Phil Gluckman
Old 10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just spoke with my service mrg. who says the W516 update has nothing whatsoever to do with throttle response?????
Old 10-20-2004, 10:54 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Is W516 the updated Tiptronic module?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

Brian Haske at Carlsen is the best service advisor I've ever dealt with. I would never bring my 911 or Cayenne anywhere else. I also bought my cars at Claridges and eventhough Kimo and Gunther are nice, the service is no where near that of Carlsen. That is just my Opinion...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:18 PM
gchu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Rector at Burlingame before and then I tried Carlsen at Palo Alto even there is 15 miles further than where I live. I am 100% agree with Kirby. I would not bring my car to anywhere else except Carlsen. I didn't buy my car at Carlsen but I have both of Porsche C4 & CS service at Carlsen. Brian is the guy. You won't be treated any different even the car was purchased there. For minor service or warranty repair, Brain always arrange a loaner for me. I would highly recommend Carlsen from my experience.

OT, my experience from other brand. I had my Acura service two months ago at Mike Harvey Acura at Redwood City. The 30K service for $700+, no loaner, car wash? not even clean my windows after the car was done. They promised everything before you bring your car there. Of course not after you drop your vehicle off.

Anyway, we paid higher premier for a vehicle "Porsche", the return in customer service we receive from Porsche is far lot better than other company .
Old 10-20-2004, 01:20 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

W516 has something to do with the check engine light, but I suspect it's more; maybe it fixes some other software glitches. Reports on these boards tout everything from better clicker distance (lock / unlock w/remote), to improved engine performance. I believe the W515 is the new transmission control module, but my 04CT does not get that -- I think it's a 05 issue. BTW, I also asked them to look at clock AM issue.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Is W516 the updated Tiptronic module?
Don, I believe that one is W515.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:10 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Lewis
Glad you gave the cay a chance, Im glad things finally worked out! I had much of the same experiences as all of the above and quiet honestly all have been fixed to my satisfaction.

As for dealers, when my cay was in for its 20,000 mi service etc which took 3 glorious days and I say glorious because MY porsche dealers loaner was 2004 Maserati GT coupe!! Hey, work on my cay as long as ya like!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 03:27 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Kirby, George,

I agree Brian Haske, called me back right away and setup the appt, and asked me if I want an auto/manual Boxster for loaner I'll give more feedback, my appt is not till Nov, 9th, but thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:28 PM
gchu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex,

I just got my car back from Carlsen yesterday for all the update to my 05 Cayenn S. I even asked them to swap out the dealer license plate frame with one from Carlsen. It feels so good that you know someone is well taking care of your Porsche(s).

BTW, make sure you have all the updates for your CS when you bring in yours. Mine 05 had the transmission tip module replaced and some other updates applied. There might be a longer list for 04.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:38 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Phil,Kirby and George,

Brought in my Cayenne V6 at Carlsen today, awesome service got a 04 boxster for loaner, I told them to take their time on my car
So for people who had V6's here are the updates, mine is manufactured 5/04:
Same update as Cayenne Austin's

W420- Replace Tip Switch.
W424- New vents for headlights; supposed to correct condensation issue.
W503- Inspect latch and R&R if required.
W515- Update Transmission control unit.
W516- Update DME programming
W517- Adjust/replace (?) rear wiper arm and unit

Thanks for the referral guys. Will let you know the outcome, performance changes etc.
I also complained about the poor rear air vents, my son always says the AC not on dad?

Quick Reply: My Cayenne lives for yet another day