Sponsored by:

Installing telephone preparation 05 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:51 AM
andre5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abtmuda
In the end I spoke with POA, they informed me that all 05’s are phone upgradeable.

I ordered all the parts, including a cradle for my specific phone. I will keep you posted on the progress.
Please do keep us posted as this is an upgrade that I would strongly consider. I really like the "hands free" cel phone integrated with the On-Star package on my Audi.

Thanks,
Old 10-12-2004, 03:39 AM
abtmuda
AutoX

Hey I am in the Bay as well!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:42 AM
andre5
Instructor

Hey I am in the Bay as well!
Sweet! Maybe we can meet when you start your install. I'd really like to see the components and see the install process.

BTW, I'm in the East Bay / San Leandro.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:35 PM
abtmuda
AutoX

Everyone,

I just installed my phone prep kit in my 05 C T. Local dealer took care of it, from the cradle to the external antenna and the brain. Everything worked out perfectly.

So the bottom line is that it can be done. It was not cheep but I am happy with the results.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts

abtmuda,

Congratulations! We now have documented examples of adding the Cell Phone Prep kit to *select* PCM-equipped vehicles as well as CDR-23 specimens (I blazed THAT trail). One word of caution if you are trying to use the Bluetooth adapter from THB...... they are re-doing the electronics and the old Blue Adapters are going to be replaced (only if you ask!). The new units are DSP-based and will incorporate some new features. I've been waiting for my replacement since September. Hopefully, it will come in soon so I can enjoy my iPaq H6315 in a hands-free mode!

Toby
Old 11-24-2004, 06:53 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

I just installed my phone prep kit in my 05 C T. Local dealer took care of it, from the cradle to the external antenna and the brain. Everything worked out perfectly.
Are any of the extended features supported, such as the numeric PCM keypad or caller ID on the PCM screen, or is it jute mute for calls and sound through the vehicle speakers?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:29 PM
tjm
8th Gear

Does anyone know where to find out what phones are compatable?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tjm
Does anyone know where to find out what phones are compatable?
Here you go......... click here

Toby
Old 12-07-2004, 04:28 PM
PorscheCayenne04
Intermediate

Another (cheaper) option would be to buy a Bluetooth capable cellular phone and install a bluetooth car kit. I have a motorola V3 which is Bluetooth enabled, and I will be installing a Parrot ck3100 car kit next week. The thing I like about the kit is that it has a caller ID screen, so you can see who is calling. Then your phone never needs to leave you pocket. Best of all, you can get a bluetooth phone for under $100 these days, and the kit costs less than $250. So, combined your out of pocket less than $350.00. Here is the link to Parrots website:

http://www.driveblue.com/(53dw4kiy1wu0n0arj1wdrr55)/Default.aspx?root=ck3100
Old 12-12-2004, 05:24 PM
tjm
8th Gear

For the '05 Cayenne with the pre-wire and PCM, does anyone know where the cradle goes and if the phone functions through the PCM or is just a seperate system?

Thanks - T.J.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
FWIW, the latest Porsche Phone Prep documentation (which I checked out while having the Cayenne serviced yet again) stated that it was NOT for PCM equipped vehicles.

So, I don't think a dealer would knowingly install the system given the liability of it not working with a PCM system.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:29 AM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PorscheCayenne04
Another (cheaper) option would be to buy a Bluetooth capable cellular phone and install a bluetooth car kit. I have a motorola V3 which is Bluetooth enabled, and I will be installing a Parrot ck3100 car kit next week. The thing I like about the kit is that it has a caller ID screen, so you can see who is calling. Then your phone never needs to leave you pocket. Best of all, you can get a bluetooth phone for under $100 these days, and the kit costs less than $250. So, combined your out of pocket less than $350.00. Here is the link to Parrots website:

http://www.driveblue.com/(53dw4kiy1wu0n0arj1wdrr55)/Default.aspx?root=ck3100

Interesting Kit. I was about to get the Sony Ericsson HCB-300 but I like the screen you mentioned. Their site also mentions mute and sound through car audio speakers. Is this what you will be doing with your CS? If so, I'd love to know how it works and pics of the install would be greatly appreciated. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-13-2004, 05:05 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

TimC: The DVD for the 05 Nav system is under the passenger seat - that's all its used for. The audio CD is in the dash (and if you get a CD changer, its in the rear).
Old 12-13-2004, 01:25 PM
tjm
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, the latest Porsche Phone Prep documentation (which I checked out while having the Cayenne serviced yet again) stated that it was NOT for PCM equipped vehicles.

So, I don't think a dealer would knowingly install the system given the liability of it not working with a PCM system.
I have PCM and the phone prep. which was installed at the factory on my '05 CS and shows on my window sticker. Problem is, nobody at my dealer has any clue on how it works. The only thing they gave me is a Porsche Cell Solutions brochure which continues to say what I paid for is not available and told me I should contact an aftermarker installer.

?????

T.J.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tjm
I have PCM and the phone prep. which was installed at the factory on my '05 CS and shows on my window sticker. Problem is, nobody at my dealer has any clue on how it works. The only thing they gave me is a Porsche Cell Solutions brochure which continues to say what I paid for is not available and told me I should contact an aftermarker installer.

?????

T.J.
T.J.
That's my point.
To date, none of the dealer technical info tells them about operation with a PCM.
Meanwhile, the brochure says it's incompatible with PCM
And while this is all going on, the factory installs what their own literature says is incompatible.

To quote the commercial: Pure Porsche.

Quick Reply: Installing telephone preparation 05 Cayenne Turbo