Driving without master key

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Driving without master key

This is a general question for those with entry and drive option. I have done this on several occasions: I get in the car and start it up using the "dummy" key without having the master in my pocket. I drive off and realize I forgot the key at home. I have never been shut down, yet. Last weekend I went out to eat about 20 minutes from home without the master key. I really sweated it out so to speak. Didn't tell the wife as that would have been "suicide" and would have added more anxiety to the meal. Luckily the car started right up without a problem. Anybody have similar experiences they wish to share? Both good and bad!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:48 PM
bjwebster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the car is starting without a key in the car using the entry and drive key? Thats definetly not a good thing. Car should never start unless there is a key in the car for it to recognize. Should say on dislplay, "Key not Recognized in vehicle" or something like that if you start the car with the key in it, and then leave with the ket still in your pocket or whatever, with the car still on.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:07 PM
305Typ955
AutoX

are you sure the 2nd master key isn't in the vehicle? perhaps in your wife's purse?

the car shouldn't go without one in the vicinity... you shouldn't be able to even open the door without one... probably the 2nd key was in the vehicle.

mine doesn't even let me open it without one.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:54 AM
beemaze
Instructor

Should not happen without the master key fob. That means that I can put my dummy key in your Cayenne and drive away...according to my dealer, all Cayenne dummy keys for the Entry & Drive are the same.

What I hate about the Entry & Drive is leaving the car with the Valet and forgetting to give them the master. I try to avoid valets in general, but in L.A. it's often unavoidable especially in stack parking situations.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with all of the above except that the second key is definitely not in the vehicle.
I never leave the dummy key in the car ignition except at home. At all other times the car is locked with the dummy key in the cupholder. I choose to do this so nobody would be tempted to steal the car not knowing that the key in the ignition is just a plastic piece of cr*p. No one can get into the car without the master key.
I first became aware of this last year when trolling the Roadfly Board:
http://forums1.roadfly.org/porsche/f...3580993-1.html
So I have just assumed it was common and a normal part of entry and drive. Thanks for the comments. Now I know it does need to be addressed during my next service .
Old 10-02-2004, 12:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but I was told the valet key had a chip in it. It is not recognized the same way, as the master keys and will not hold a setting or perform certain functions, but will allow you to drive the car. I believe the instruction manual says do not leave this key in the car, as it will overide the alarm. I am interested in the truth. Although what good would a valet key be if you need to give them the master key also?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:54 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Actually, there is no Valet key for the Cayenne that I know of. We are referring to the Entry & Drive control unit which according to the manual should "always" remain in the ignition. Of course, the Cayenne won't restart unless you have the main key fob nearby, which has the immobilizer chip inside. Entry & Drive can be a convenience, but also an inconvenience when it comes to Valet parking or for instance, being dropped off somewhere by another person and forgetting to give that person the main key.

The Entry & Drive control unit or cheap plastic key (as some have called it) does not have a built in chip. My dealer and I swapped Entry & Drive keys with another vehicle on the lot and were able to start the ignition as long as we had the main or master key fob nearby. We did that to make sure the Entry & Drive control unit (which I think is a misnomer) did not have to be programmed in any way. Mind you, this was last year that we figured this out....

Also, you may be thinking of the "spare key" which is also a cheap plastic key with a porsche crest at the end of it. This key is only useful for manually unlocking the and starting the vehicle. It is also encoded. The dealer gave me an extra spare for my "inconvenience," but they neglected to encode it. I will eventually have that done at the next service.

Last edited by beemaze; 10-02-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats scary...
Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Figured it out. I was getting spare key confused with the true dummy key. Entry and drive works well in my car. Couldn't start the vehicle without the maser key nearby. I plan to leave the dummy key in place.

Quick Reply: Driving without master key