Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my Techart module but it is not plug and play as stated on their website.

I did the plug and play control unit swap myself(easy) but the next part I cannot do without the dealers help (EEK!)

The manual suggests installing the unit with the Cayenne in normal mode parked on a level surface. Then turn the ignition on and using the PST2 or PIWIS Porsche tester go to automatic level control, enter the security code and under calibration learn the new height.

Then the Cayenne should automatically go to the lower position then back to normal.

Then you measure from specific points on the front and rear axel on both sides and enter these values into the system tester for FL/FR/RL/RR.

After this you need a 4 wheel alignment to Porsche factory specs.

I have an appointment to do this on Friday.

Based on the amount of work I had to do to figure all this out and get an updated(and English!) version of the manual, I am guessing I am one of very few in the US to do this mod.

I tried to find out if the Cargraphic unit needs dealer involvement, and if I found out it didn't before Friday I would exchange the TechArt.

Last edited by Jenner; 09-10-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skl
Jenner, let us know how you like it and if it throws any codes or errors. I'm suire the dealer won't help if it screws something up. Can't help but think it will affect tire wear if you drive all the time on the lower setting, even though I'd love the way it looks.
It throws a code and locks out the air suspension as soon as you install it. Thus the dealer is required. See my post above.

I am guessing they won't help if it screwed something up, but TechArt is a reputable company, so I would look to them if it did.

I can't speak to tire wear yet, but the manual does suggest a 4 wheel alignment after this.

With so many companies offering an aftermarket suspension module I am guessing Porsche left plenty of room in the system for tuners.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Well guys, it looks like I will be returning my TechArt module. Dealer was not very friendly towards doing this for me, and said that they worry about law suit should the suspension fail and I crash. Without them I cannot use the module. I don't know WTF TechArt or other places are thinking selling something like this that requires the dealer. I know in Europe they are much more friendly about this, but they should have designed it differently for the US.

I am in the process of trying to figure out a solution or if another brands unit is truly plug and play, but I am guessing none will be....

This really sucks because unlike steel springs on the lower cayenne models, we turbos and Cayenne S'(with the air suspention option) cannot just swap springs....

I'll post updates, and if anyone else has paved the way before me on this please post!

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jenner, that sucks. There's a place out here in Los Angeles called CEC (Claus Ettensberger Corporation). They claim to be the exclusive importer for the Terchart line of products. Try to call them and see if they have any suggestions, 310-203-3900. Other than that, maybe another service center. I'm excited for you to get it done and post your experiences. I'd like to lower mine too. GL.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:27 PM
bancu
Racer

I was wondering how the dealer would react. Thanks for taking the lead on this.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

considering you need dealer support, few dealers are going to do it if any.
I guess they don't want to be liable maybe not if you crash but if there is an electronic glich that puts the entire car into limp home mode. The electronics on that car is waaay to sensitive.
The only thing that would be nice is if Techart was licensed dealer thru the Porsche dealer net work Like AC Schnitzer does BMW.

If anyone wants to make the drive for this module, Sportec is here in Colorado and will probably install the module as they should have all the equipment to do it without the dealer. They will also back up the product without needing dealer support?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

I stareted a new thread summing up my info posted here on 6speedonline. I'm glad I did because it sounds like I will be going with the Cargraphic module. If you want to all read the info Joe gave me it is here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...threadid=15553

And here is a summary:
"Having used the Cargraphic lowering module in my 03' as well as 04' CT I can say the installation is pretty straight forward. There was no dealer involvement needed in the installation. Once the lowering module harness was spliced into the factory harness the vehicle immediately lowered.
Maybe Erik can shed some light on the actual wiring process.
I never aligned the CT after the installation and have managed normal tire wear with 12k miles.
The cockpit by-pass switch is cool too.

I think i paid around 1700.00 for the module and 1-2 hours for install."
Old 09-10-2004, 09:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Given the habit of going to court about just about anything (in the US), you can hardly blaim the dealer.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:36 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by mudman2
Given the habit of going to court about just about anything (in the US), you can hardly blaim the dealer.
Yep. That's why I was interested in seeing how the dealer would react. I'm kind of amazed that didn't squawk about warranty issues too.

There are so many things that I see overseas that I know would never fly in the US. It's really a shame and I think it stunts our 'growth'.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bancu
I'm kind of amazed that didn't squawk about warranty issues too.
Oh they did, but they were good about it. They said it would only void the air suspension and only then if it was proven that it was a fault of the aftermarket unit. Which is what I've come to expect from this dealership.

They know me really well as when they saw my 996 regularly for track inspections it was heavily modified(not the engine) and we had a common understanding that anything to do with my car would be on a case by case basis. That said they did the RMS without question....

That said, the way we left it was that they were going to call the "tech hotline" and inquire about this and that possible "I" could install the module and they would just perform the recalibration and alignment. I took this as "we really don't want to deal with this but will humor you" and that I shouldn't expect a return phone call inviting me back to get this done.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:46 PM
bancu
Racer

Sounds like you've got a pretty good dealer there. That's really cool.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:35 AM
beemaze
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vino
Sportec is actually a hell of a company.

As far as I know the only place in the U.S. that has anything to do with Sportec is here in Colorado. A place called Autosportwerks is their licensed distributor.

Try www.autosportwerks.com to contact them for prices.
Check out Sportec USA

They're in Whittier, CA and I think they may have distributor/retailer somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley. Their 22 inch wheels interest me as I believe they are forged, not the heavyweight cast wheels ala Techart. Yes, the Techarts look very nice, but the Sportecs might make an acceptable alternative.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Those 22" Sportech wheels cost about $2000 per wheel IIRC. Ouch! They make great stuff, but it all comes with a huge price tag.

Update to my saga:

Dealer called back, talked to several people going up higher each time in the Porsche management food chain and they all said do not install it.(so he says...)

That said, I returned the TechArt unit that is NOT plug and play and will be going with the Cargraphic one. I will post more info when I have it, but for now the cost of the unit is $1700 and install is about an hour or 2 and costs $100-$200. According to CargraphicUSA it lowers ALL modes 40mm and it has a defeat switch in the driver area to instantly switch back to stock if you need the height.

Based on my measurements 40mm lower in each mode, means normal mode is about a half an inch LOWER than stock low mode Low mode becomes a tiny bit lower than the stock loading level, and the new loading level is about an inch and a half lower than stock loading level, giving it a car look when parked
Old 09-19-2004, 05:35 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's interesting that a seperate unit is required to modify the ride height of the air suspension. FYI for Audi allroads (these also have an adjustable air suspension) you can simply use a VAG-COM (a $250 softare and cable that runs ona laptop), type in some codes and adjust the height...no additonal hardware is needed. VAG-COM also lets you do other electronic mods with Audis and VWs.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

This isn't a VW or an Audi

There is no Porsche tool available, except the $10,000 unit the dealer has.

Quick Reply: Lowering Module