Sponsored by:

Interesting discovery re 22" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 01:07 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting discovery re 22" wheels

I've been wanting to put 22's on my Cayenne and have read all the posts I could find. I still couldn't make up my mind. I like a few styles, like the Gemballa Sport and Racing, the Techart five-spokes and a few others. I wanted to research everything so as to make the best decesion. I was interested in performance and style. Yesterday I went into Wheel Enhancement ( http://www.wheelenhancement.com/ ) for the scoop.

It seems that the so called lightweight Techart's and most others are actually heavier than the 20's the vehicle came with. Now, I know the 22's are larger, but at more than 5K for a set of most of these wheels I think there should be some weight savings and other performance enhancing characteristics. But no, they are gravity cast, heavy and soft. Bad characteristics for large wheels with thin sidewalls and crappy US roads.

So here's the good news. Out of every 22' wheel that fits the Cayenne, that I could find, there is one specifically engineered for good looks and performance. The Champion RG24 Monolite One-piece 22" forged wheel. They look great and are actually about 10 Lbs. lighter than the smaller 20" wheels currently on my ride.

I was surprised my decision was made so easy and narrrowed down to only one truely light weight 22" wheel. Wheel Enhancement has them for $5400.00 in stock. They use 295/30/22 tires. Now time to fit that into my financial plan for hte next couple weeks. Any ideas on getting these cheaper would be greatly appreciated.

There you go.

JW
Old 09-01-2004, 02:47 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes 22" forged is the way to go! VERY strong and lighter too. Check out NC Forged http://www.ncforged.com or www.iforged.com Both companies have 22" wheels for the Cayenne but they will be Around $5-7K depending on the option. I will have pictures to share after the German Auto Fest on the 12th.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:56 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Cool sites. I think I like the look of the Champions a bit morre than most on those sites though. Do you know of any others I could check out?

JW
Old 09-01-2004, 03:13 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

HRE of course They have very good looking wheels too.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:21 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys can you exaplain to me the point of why you would care if the wheels weigh 10 pounds more. I mean were talking about a SUV here, can you really feel a 10 pound difference?
Old 09-01-2004, 03:43 AM
DEETZ22
Racer

I bought a set of HRE wheels, it will be here end of the week (cross my fingers). They are roughly 35lbs per wheel with no tire
Old 09-01-2004, 05:30 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

Default 22"

go to www.dpengineering.cc you can go to gallery and see pic of my Cay-S, I can email you more pics. You have to run 295/30/22 dont run any other size. If you pay more than $1275 for Pirelli Scorpions your getting smoked.

The DPE are forged 2pc wheels. They list at about $1000 ea. wheel. That is MSRP mind you. Nothing against HRE they are nice also and high quality. HRE has been averaging about 4-8 weeks now for delivery. I would not count on 3-4 weeks with anyone doing forged custom built wheels. DPE is about 4-8 weeks turn around also.

NC forged - no comment on here, but i can put them on blast. PM if u want to know why.

Iforged - if u know the owner personally by name, 2-3 weeks your set. If not some wait up up to 3,4,5, months and longer. They nice though if u can wait.

Champion - I dont know about cannot comment, they look clean.

Hamann has 22" - highly expensive, Hamann is made by OZ Racing. My experince on Bimmers, they are one of most heaviest wheels Ive ever owned and bend very easy. I had PGII's in past 19". I think biggest POS, however some People love em, go figure.

Anything that is not forged and cast wheel are bricks for Cayenne. My 22" DPE are lighter than stock and aftermarket 20"s for sure unless they have lightweight forged.

You already have additional rotating mass and increased weight just makes it even harder on your brakes and brake components. Some dealers like Cadillac Void warranty on Escaldes with wheels larger than 20" for this reason. Most guys using big heavy chrome cast wheels tear up their brakes and want dealer to warranty, so they are getting wise.

I had my vehicle serviced for recalls and Porsche dealer said nothing about 22's on my Cay-S.

Porsche CAY has one of best braking systems standard on SUV. Any other vehicle I recommend big brake upgrade for safety reasons if running big wheels.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:36 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

While the truck is really heavy, I bought it for the performance. I don't tow anything and could have gotten the base model Cayenne or the S to haul around the stuff I needed the room for. I got the Turbo because the thing is just plain fun, and fast. Adding weight, espically unsprung weight would hinder it, albiet not hugely when compared to the massive weight of the thing, but a bit, and I'd know it. Lowering the unsprung weight will make it that much better.

I also put in the fabspeed bypass pipes for the rear cats. I noticed a difference right away and the truck is much peppier. I love doing mods for looks and performance. With this ride though, performance is important to me, otherwise I'd have gotten something else. The bypass pipes are claimed to add 28 HP, don't know if that's true. It added a great sound and did make the thing a bit quicker for sure.

So saving 10 lbs per wheel may not seem like a lot, it may be something hard to notice in driving, but one thing I know for sure is that I'll like having the best (within reason, I wouldn't spend 10K on Magnesium) possible wheel with regard to performance. Just my view on it all.

Last edited by Josh Warner; 09-01-2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:49 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

I think Magnesium can bend easier on streets, since we have poor surface as compared to a track. I have heard this before. Maybe it depends on the construction?

If you got the truck for performance then lightweight is way to go! However I know what you are saying.
10lbs a corner concerning added wheel weight is harsher for brakes but the Porsche brakes IMO are adequate enough for lightweight and cast wheels - all of the above . I dont think a need for brake upgrades for any model Cayennes is necessary unless you want it to look cooler. Im talking about street driven SUV's here.

Good luck with your wheels Josh, Im sure you CAY-TT will look clean!

So u know im in LA area also.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Deetz, Post pics when you have the wheels. Where did you get them and which model?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:36 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Hey Dax, that silver Cayenne is yours on the site...very nice. I like those wheels, they look great. So that place is in the Signal Hill area. Did you check out Wheel Enhancement? And where'd you get the deal on the tires? I usually use Tire Rack, their prices are good and they couldn't be easier to deal with.

I wouldn't use Magnesium on the strreet. I've had them before for the track for my 996 and they're incredibly light, but not pot hole worthy.

My Cayenne is silver too. I really wanted to get an all black five spoke, all black including the rim. But I haven't found a lightweight five spoke. Both the Gemballa and Techart's are heavier than my stock 20's. Now I'm fairly sold on the Champions, but they don't seem like they'd look as good all black. Maybe just black centers, but to me all black looks better, and a satin black at that.

I planned on keeping the 20's, powder coating them all black and putting mud tires on them for the winter. When at Wheel Enhancemant I asked about aggrressive tread tires for those wheels and was told I'm out of luck and that nothing is made for the 20's. So there goes that plan.

Anyway, it's a lot of dough to lay down for a new set so I want to pick carefully. Good looks, not too "biligy", light weight, I want it all!

I'm in Hollywod, where are you?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:41 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

One more thing,

You mentioned the "list price" on those wheels, did you pay less? What's a set going to cost? Also, do they offer black?? It doesn't say so on the site.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of RG 5's on my Ferrarri and they looked great. I think Champion may have bought the right for US. but in fact at that time (99) they were made by Speedline; (OEM) suppliers for Ferrari. One work of caution wthat should be checked out before buying any oversized wheels. Both the RG'5's (19's) on the Ferrari, and My HRE 540R's (19's) currently on my M3, both are 3 pc, and have a deep lips and a casting that has an inside lip on the interior bead. The result is wheel that "holds water" in fact about a half a cup or more per wheel. The result on the M3 is that the wheels shake uncontrollably at 70+ mph if you have been in the rain, or a puddle. A quick shower and then dry roads means that you are limited to 65MPH unless you want to get out and soak up the captured water in the bottom of the wheel with a stuffed towel. High speed does not throwit out. The HRE's have a reputtion for this and no known soulution. Check out the
E 46 Fanantics forum (BMW 3 series) and search for "rain proplem" and dozens of posts will come up. Good luck in your search. I am lookin for a set of replacement 20's in the spring, and i like the look of the RG's, the BBS's and Gemballas. Keep us posted. (HRE 540 R 19 pic attached from my M3)
Old 09-01-2004, 02:56 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

NC forged - no comment on here, but i can put them on blast. PM if u want to know why.

Are you saying you can blast them as a company? I have a set of their wheels I ended up with them through an unfortunate sequence of events. Anyway I have been to their offices on a couple of ocassions and they were very nice people to deal with even when I have not spent a dime with them they have gone out of their way to help me. Plus I love their designs.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Bizarre water problem. I'ver never heard of that. I like the look of a deep lip or dish. Seems so strange that it wouldn't get forced out of the wheel.

Quick Reply: Interesting discovery re 22" wheels