Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting discovery re 22" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more note on the Champions wheels that I forgot to mention is that they are rear mounted so there's little chance of them being scratched in the mounting process.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:45 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

Default wheel info

I have heard of water problem with deep dish wheels such as HRE and Iforged usually in East coast or areas that get lots of rain and foul weather. Honestly I have heard of 1 customer complaining about this water fiasco with a DPE set that was sold by another re-seller (I think on a Bimmer). From what i have heard: Basically upon down pour the water collects and stays in the lip causing unsteadiness and other unsafe issues in which driving over 60mph is very dangerous. Since I, in SOCAL and we dont even have 1 ft or rain so far this year, I cannot comment yet. I dont forsee rain here for a few months still.
Usually if weather is really bad I would put on my stocks.

DPE 22x10 - $1000 list per wheel, take 13% off this is lowest street retail. DPE charges $35 per wheel extra to powdercoat centers black. They can do black anodized also I think its a little bit more per wheel. You can contact them for more info. I just got some 22" DPE w/ black centers for my SVT Lightning. It looks serious. If u want I can email you pics so you can have idea of how they look.

If u want Pirellis around $1200. Toyos prob about $1000. Tire prices change weekly so you know. Usually these quotes are good for 3-4 weeks normally.
Any pro wheel spot has tire mounter / balancer up to 24 or 26" now. If you take somewhere and you feel they are incompetent to mount your wheels go somewhere else. There are gazillions of places in LA that can mount 22"+ wheels and tires without error.

NC forged - LOL they approached my company about 1.5-2 yrs ago about selling their product, they were so unorganized it was ridiculous. They sponsored some celebs to get some buzz about their product. Couple ball players, etc.. Very Long Story short they jacked us for some ad money in which an ad was run in DUB Magazine. We paid to have our name, website and phone # as authorized re-seller. Us and some other companies all over USA were supposedly involved, when ad came out, guess what? None of anyones info was there just NC forged contact info! And after all the hot air about them not wanting to deal w/ public and let the re-sellers do all the work. It is very small amount, but business is business, and no returned calls to resolve this. I sold their POS display wheels they gave us to compensate for the lost money. Im glad NC forged is doing so well and it seems you are happy. I dealt with some guy Rob who worked for them supposedly "the man in charge" of all their wheel business. Friggin joke dood.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:35 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with respect to "lightweight" wheels, that's simply a marketing term. it doesn't mean anything in the real world. and larger wheels in general will always be heavier than the smaller wheels. they require more material to make them after all. calling them "lightweight" doesn't change this!

as for magnesium, it's very light, but VERY soft. i would never run magnesium wheels on the street. any pothole you hit is going to bend them.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Even the 22" Hamann PG3 Wheels are 36 - 38Lbs each and $7000.
20" Stock Factory Sport Design - 38Lbs, 4oz
22" Techart Five spoke - 42Lbs, 13oz
22" Gemballa mulitspoke - Front 42Lbs, 2oz Rear 43Lbs, 2oz
22" Champion RG24 - 28Lbs, 15oz.

Last edited by Josh Warner; 09-02-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:16 AM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

with respect to "lightweight" wheels, that's simply a marketing term. it doesn't mean anything in the real world. and larger wheels in general will always be heavier than the smaller wheels. they require more material to make them after all. calling them "lightweight" doesn't change this!

Teflon - Have you ever had forged light wheels on any of your cars? Trucks?

So lets say a car running some 17x8's cast wheels at 24-28lbs ea. vs. a car running some forged wheels at 13-14lbs ea. heck even 17lbs ea. same sizes will be same performance wise? - Im responding to your comment about "It doesn't mean anything in real world."

My 22" DPE are lighter than the stock Cay wheels. Using forged process over cast you can create larger wheels lighter than stock. MOST aftermarket wheels people buy on everday basis are cast due to lower cost and they want a certain look which is fine.

Now does the Cayenne stop better w/ 22" over stock, no of course not since you have more rotating mass, however it is much more civil over certain cast brands, & helps having the lightweight design over a brick heavy cast 22" wheel which can be 10,15+ lbs heavier per wheel!

I guarantee you that if u had some BrickArts on your Cayenne, then put some forged "lightweight" DPE or similar you definitely see a difference when braking. Im not implying that every single forged wheel out there are lightweight, but for the most part usually they are lighter or much lighter when compared to cast wheels of same size and diameter.

IMO people should buy the rims they like best using their own opinion since the CAY and all Porsches have more than adequate braking from factory for street vehicles. And rims cast or forged is an expensive mod esp. runnign big sizes. Me personally having a lighter wheel helps overall. I go with forged since you get high quality, custom build, uniqueness, multi piece availability, and more options when building the wheel.

Quick Reply: Interesting discovery re 22" wheels