Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation W406 TSB/recall...for those who have trailers

I just got an email from my local Porsche service guy (without whom I would have sold the Cayenne long ago, but that's another story).

There is a new TSB/recall W406 regarding the factory trailer control module (check trailer light warnings, right hand directional, trailer running lights, etc). Anyone else heard of this one yet? Did a search and found nothing.

As soon as I get mine in the mail, in the shop it goes.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:44 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Mudman2 has been working on this and expected it to happen. It wasn't clear how widespread the problem would be. Mike had the problem you mention with his "after the fact" hitch installation, which is stilll the Porsche trailer control module.

I did get a "check trailer lights" warning when towing but the lights always worked fine; turning, brake, running lights, everything. The message would only be on briefly and then go away.

I have not received anything in the mail.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct Gary. Its also linked to the limited power output of the current factory unit. This limits it to 100w, the standard setup is a low as 50w. A lot of trailers have many lights especially box trailers and these tend to make the voltage "sit down" when connected, hence the check lights message.

The new unit is supposed to have much higher output.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:02 PM
bjwebster
Instructor

I hope my dealer hears about this soon. i get a check lights while using blinker and braking at the same time, this is on a simple little open cargo trailer with minimal lights. When I had my car in the dealer, they said they hadnt heard of the problem before....
Old 09-03-2004, 06:31 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I get the warnings as described above, check the lights, and they work. My trailer has surge brakes, so I'm not sure if this TSB applies in my situation, or whether this applies to some brake control module in the C.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:26 PM
GM Austin
Pro

I believe it will apply to everyone who has a hitch. It shouldn't make any difference if you're using a brake controller or not. Just to be clear, the trailer control module we are talking about is on every Cayenne with a hitch and is located in the right rear fenderwell.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:48 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 589 Posts

I have a late May build '04 and have towed with an enclosed single axle trailer with brakes (have a brake controller installed as well) and no problems- no errors, etc.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a March "04 build and has never given me a warning when towing my boat. The trailer has four of those little round running lights and a pair of the larger oblong tailights.

Quick Reply: W406 TSB/recall...for those who have trailers