Trailer Lights & Brake Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer Lights & Brake Controllers

I'm about to order an ATC trailer and had three questions...

1. I've seen several comments referencing issues with the electric load of the trailer lights exceeding the capacity of the Cayenne - does anyone know what this level is? I'd like to make sure I don't order too many lights (ie. fender lights, clearance lights, etc.) and encounter issues when I hook it up to my Cayenne S.

2. I understand that the Cayenne can't support LED trailer lights...correct??

3. Are there any updates on experiences/recommendations re: electronic brake controllers? I've searched the archive but was curious if there is any more recent comments so that I can make sure I get the right controller, have it installed by the right resource, etc..

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 08-11-2004, 02:33 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I towed a very large trailer with many running lights and did not have a problem. I only towed during the day so my knowledge and experience with the running lights is just to test them to make sure they worked, which they did. I have heard this comment before as well but have never seen any specifics on it.

2) I have seen that comment as well but I don't know anything more about it.

3) I used the Tekonsha Prodigy and was very happy. It does require a special wiring to work correctly. See this thread for details on wiring the Prodigy:LINK
Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Just installed a Drawtite brake controller (analog- not the real fancy one) using the factory VW plug and wiring so it was a real neat installation which I did myself in less than a half hour (with help from my son as I'm colourblind.) Got a Polak standard wiring receptable to plug into the factory wiring in the back. Works fine- only did one short shake down test with a small single axle trailer that does have trailer brakes and worked fine. Threw no errors- and the little extra turn signal in the speedometer is nice- shows the lights are working. Longer trip tomorrow to MidAmerica Motorplex hauling a motorcycle in a small enclosed trailer. Hopefully will work ok- got a factory hitch receiver- doesn't look much different than my regular one though it is solid, not hollow, and doesn't have much drop.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the ATC, very nice trailers.

1) Don't know the limit either, apart from the fuse capacity.

2) The issue with LED lights (my 20' trailer (Cargopro) has all LED lighting....markers, stop lights, turn signals, everything but reverse lights) is that they don't draw enough current (at least compared to incandescent bulbs) and the factory trailer controller module (of which there are different revision levels, depending on build date, just to complicate things a bit) will think that a light is out, when in fact it is working. You will get a warning, but the lights are working OK. The fix is to have the dealer replace the unit with the latest revision.

3) An electronic brake controller is pretty much a brake controller (at least speaking as an electrical engineer). 99% of today's can be mounted in any orientation and will interface with the 4 pin plug under the dash. I have the analog Drawtite unit and it works fine. I also bought the wiring/plus from vwparts.com, as per a previous post from wingless on this forum.

Best of luck.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:00 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the deal with the electronic brake controllers? I'm more of a boat guy. All my boat trailers have had brakes, but they were all hydraulically activated with a slider in the trailer hitch. Pressure of the trailer pushing on the car activates the brakes. Very simple, works fine. Current boat has a dual axle trailer and disc brakes.

Are the electronic modules for larger and/or heavier trailers?? Just wondering...

Alex
Old 08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...9cfr393.43.pdf

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...9cfr570.56.pdf

http://www.championtrailers.com/brkart.html

Quick Reply: Trailer Lights & Brake Controllers