Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost Cayenne Owner; One last decision on purchase versus lease.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Sammamish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost Cayenne Owner; One last decision on purchase versus lease.

Thanks to help from various folks in this forum, I have decent deal on 04 CS. (little more than 6000 off on ~66000) I was thinking about straight purchase all along, but I want to give lease one last thought before going ahead.

What are the typical residual and money factor on Porsche Financing's 36 months lease?
What do you think about prepaid lease (one time payment)?
I'm attracted to leasing because it provides protection against unexpected rapid depreciation (it's kinda nice to get discounts on Porsche but it got me worried on this). And I like prepaid lease since it will reduce interest expenses even though this negates usefulness of gap insurance. Do these rationale make sense?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:12 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Lease vs Purchase

I think the balloon payment lease is not offered here in the U.S. I asked about that.
The good advantage with porsche lease is no security deposit . Only the fees, first monthly etc which is called drive off. Also porsche lease covers gap insurance for free which covers you're upside down amount in case your car gets totalled,(knock on wood), and you owe more than the car is worth. usually they could adjust the residual value to 40% or so. In the past I lease cars because of the high interest rate, u cant even get any lower than 7% in 1994, but now due to the economy, banks offers gets even lower than 3% if you have really good credit. On leases you save on interest, cause you're basically only financing 60% of the vehicle, but dont go to long or longer than 4 years. And you're right if you can pay the residual you're saving interest. I guess having 6 new cars in the past ten years I'm not the type of guy to purchase but the cars I bought were not porsche's, so iguess I wasnt satisfied I'm always comparing them with my 911 which i own.
The rates right now are so appealing that purchase is the way to go. But then again, with purchase you're paying interest for at least 2 1/2 years, before your payment even goes to principal, but in porsche case , their cars dont depreciate like other cars, so your good with either choice. These are just my experiences, so decide on what's best for you and good luck, you'll enjoy it for sure...
Old 08-10-2004, 11:45 PM
kerdmann
Addict
Rennlist Member

i have not explored the specific porsche situation, but dealers usually prefer leases, may even give you better deals - because they make more this way - which you pay in the end. only if there is excessive depreciation you may gain - but if the opposite happens, you are giving money away. and if you exceed the mileage you may owe +++.
cash is the cheapest, unless you are getting a great return on your money somewhere - and don't forget taxes.
in the present interest environment financing seems attractive - esspecially if you can write it off, e. g. bussines or home equity, which i think agrees with the previous opinion.
if lease gives a you bussines write off, you turn your cars over with the leases and moderate mileage - your cpa might still see a benefit.
anyway, enjoy the car, you cant take it with you!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Aeson
Advanced

The balloon is available with about a 28K final payment on a 61K Cayenne S. Just ran the numbers on it. I did a balloon instead of leasing so that I could get the 100% tax credit because my Cay is for business only .
Old 08-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Aeson
Advanced

I think the numbers that I reference were for 60 mos not 36.

Quick Reply: Almost Cayenne Owner; One last decision on purchase versus lease.