Sponsored by:

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 04:09 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phaedrus242
Actually, the sluggish throttle response you're experienceing is a pretty common problem with these vehicles (it seems especially the S models). There is an updated transmission control module that is being replaced in them for a technical bulliten (although not a recall). The number supercedes a couple of times, but the '05 version controller (part number 955-618-022-11) should do the trick for you. I would complain to you dealer service advisor about your poor throttle response and mention that you had heard of a bulliten that suggested replacement of the trans control module with an updated part.
I think this is extremely interesting information. I have also heard that the only fix available for the transmission would be a change in the control module itself. What other info do you have, a TSB# maybe?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone checked renntech for the TSB?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:23 PM
WCS
Instructor

I just checked but didn't find any entries about transmission control module.

So it means that a new transmission control module would work better for folks who have already got eGas/DME updates? How could one go assert this to be a real problem to the dealer if eGas updates have been performed?
Old 08-03-2004, 06:00 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand there is at least 1 TSB's which Loren does not have yet (on Renntech). He says that typically it can be 4 weeks after release when he gets them, around the same time as the dealers.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:11 PM
WCS
Instructor

I also spoke with my dealer a while ago and asked them about this part while ordering some other stuff. The part itself costs around 500 dollars but he has not heard of anyone performing the TSB yet. Obviously the dealer (in NoCal) has not received the TSB either.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:28 PM
GM Austin
Pro

I would pay the $500 if it really worked.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:42 PM
WCS
Instructor

Yeah, with installation, tax, it may cost about $700.

So after all the software updates I'm still not entirely satisfied with the throttle response. Anyone share the same sentiment as I do?

I trust that my dealers have done everything possible software-wise. In particular, there is occasionally transmission knock when accelerating followed by slowing down. seems that downshifting and acceleration is occuring at the same time. Particularly noticable when driving in traffic.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:07 PM
GM Austin
Pro

I agree WCS. Even after the updates there is frequently a dead spot when you press the throttle. It occurs mostly in traffic for me as well. Maybe the transmission is adjusting to the slow stop-and-go traffic, I don't know. The idea of a car that learns your driving style seemed OK when I first heard of it but now I am wondering if this may be the culprit behind the Cayenne's lazy downshifting. When your stuck in traffic there should be a way to tell the car "Ignore how I'm driving for the next few minutes."
Old 08-04-2004, 07:43 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Sorry, been away for a few days.

From my research, there is no official bulliten on this as of yet (my mistake). This was the repair suggested to us on a number of vehicles by the powers that be, and has, well so far at least, seemed to remedy the problem. I can't say for sure that this will be Porsche's official fix, I can say that the vehicles I've seen that have had this done don't exhibit symptoms any longer.

Quick Reply: Disappointed