Sponsored by:

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 01:39 AM
magicdracula
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Disappointed

My Cayenne S is very sluggish and very slow when responding( you feel its very HEAVY). Meanwhile, driving my brother's X5 V-6, gives me A wayyyy better response, feeling and easier acceleration (his car jumps with the slightest touch on the pedal as if it's a 2 seater racing car) unlike mine!!!!!!!!

Is it because my car has only 1500 miles, and I don't drive it aggressively, so it didn't get used to my driving pattern. But hay, I live in the center of Boston where it’s jammed all the times, so if I wasn't able to drive crazily as I wish, would it mean that my car will be sluggish all the times cause I didn't get it used to aggressive driving????
Old 08-02-2004, 02:27 AM
DEETZ22
Racer

you need to hang out with me and my friends, we do some serious driving. I have two friends in your apt, one with the modena, Cayenne Turbo and 745 and the other one with Cayenne S silver. I always see your car covered with the car cover. You need to drive it more ^^
Old 08-02-2004, 08:07 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As you pass 4000 miles you will feel it loosen up.

But the biggest change will come when you learn to drive it properly. Not saying you cannot drive but the Cayenne S drives very differently than most things I have driven. Also while a V6 X5 may "feel" fast, check the speedo. "feel" and "real" can be very different. You may find that what you "feel" is slow, is actualy what a really fast car feels like going fast.

Remember if the X5 feels fast at 30, whats it going to feel like at 120 (if it can get there), probably terrifying.

Engine Noise, Road Noise and mechanical feedback as well as other elements contribute to the feeling of speed. A ricer honda civic would feel fast but its all noise.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:15 AM
magicdracula
Instructor

Guys, thanks for the reply. But I guess you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that the Cayenne is slow, it's actually lightning fast. But that happens only when you press on the gas all the way down, and WAIT for it to kick in. Meanwhile, the X-5 is always on its nerves, like a crazy thing that wants to be unleashed. I didn't mean the X5 is faster, but I meant it jumps like crazy as soon you touch the gas. Meanwhile, my CS gives me a great feeling of heaviness, and THEN it would go fast. At some point I truly though that driving an X5 is more fun, which made me very sad.

So is all what I'm experiencing because I didn't get the Cayenne used to aggressive driving? or because that’s the way it is?

P.S: deetz, soon the car will be uncovered
Old 08-02-2004, 11:30 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

oh......turn off PCM
Old 08-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be a couple of things you are experiencing. First, the Cayenne will start in second gear unless you tell it not to. One way is to use the tiptronic, all it takes is a flick of the button on the steering wheel at a stoplight if you desire an aggressive launch. You might be surprised by its response in first I think that it will also start in first with the PSM off (button on the dash). Agressive throttle tip in is something used by manufacturers to make their products feel quicker, lots of american cars are this way, they leap off the line and groan the rest of the way up the powerband. The more gentle reponse of the Cayenne is partially due to the desire of Porsche to claim some off-road prowess. Jumpy throttles are not a good thing off-road, nor are they what you want in winter weather.

I do think you just need to get used to it a little more.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:50 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Originally Posted by magicdracula
Guys, thanks for the reply. But I guess you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that the Cayenne is slow, it's actually lightning fast. But that happens only when you press on the gas all the way down, and WAIT for it to kick in. Meanwhile, the X-5 is always on its nerves, like a crazy thing that wants to be unleashed. I didn't mean the X5 is faster, but I meant it jumps like crazy as soon you touch the gas. Meanwhile, my CS gives me a great feeling of heaviness, and THEN it would go fast. At some point I truly though that driving an X5 is more fun, which made me very sad.

So is all what I'm experiencing because I didn't get the Cayenne used to aggressive driving? or because that’s the way it is?

P.S: deetz, soon the car will be uncovered
I have the X-5 3.0 (that's a straight six, actually) and I completely agree with your impressions. Unfortunately, that's the way it is and there's nothing to be done, other than to complain to your dealer, PCNA, PAG, whoever will listen to you and hope they eventually come up with the correct shift mapping for the Cayenne.

Turning off PSM does help but it's still not as good as the BMW. Defeating a safety feature to get reasonable shifting response is hardly a solution anyway. There is a DME update (undocumented) available from your dealer, if you ask nicely and say the right things. The update improves the throttle response but does nothing for the slow downshifting.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Turning off PSM will help. But you have got to realize that you're moving 5,500lb off the line and agility will be compromised.

My .02.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:19 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

mudman: I have a friend that pushed his X5 3.0 to 140mph in a downhill, he crashed it a few weeks after that
Old 08-03-2004, 12:38 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Actually, I prefer the Cayene's behavior. When I want a nice subtle launch, I can get it. If I want to light up the tires, I can do that too. On the X5, I can only get the itchy trigger finger. Also, at hwy speeds, the Cayene is way more responsive. Passing on a two lane highway is really a blast.

My Audi A4 2.8 has a twitchy throttle and I really hate it. Just a tad too much off the line and you lurch forward.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:50 AM
LegoDoom
Instructor

I agree... with the PSM off and in tiptronic mode the car behaves nicely.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:00 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Deetz...haha
Old 08-03-2004, 11:50 AM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Actually, the sluggish throttle response you're experienceing is a pretty common problem with these vehicles (it seems especially the S models). There is an updated transmission control module that is being replaced in them for a technical bulliten (although not a recall). The number supercedes a couple of times, but the '05 version controller (part number 955-618-022-11) should do the trick for you. I would complain to you dealer service advisor about your poor throttle response and mention that you had heard of a bulliten that suggested replacement of the trans control module with an updated part.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:30 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

phaedrus242: thank you so much! I will talk to my dealer, they just hired a good guy!! so I am sure problem can be solved ^^
Old 08-03-2004, 01:32 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

phaedrus242

Do you know the TSB Number, I cannot find it

Quick Reply: Disappointed