Sponsored by:

Which adatper for US seven pin wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 03:53 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts
Question Which adatper for US seven pin wiring?

My search didn't help but I remember a thread a while ago about wiring. Finally got around to taking the cover off the factory wiring setup by the hitch. What adapter do I need to put there so I can hook up the std 7 pin trailer end (which is female). The factory deal in there is also female so obviously something is still needed...
Old 07-31-2004, 04:44 PM
kerdmann
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put mine in. had difficulty finding it at the usual car parts stores and even some rv places.
the dealer had shown the part to me, so i knew what it looked like, but his price, with an additional
4 prong adapter, was $ 70.
one rv place finally was able to order it, i had to show it to him in his catalogue - he commented
it was a first to him.
anyway, made by husky, # 11775 US car socket, $ 6.69

good luck

k. a.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does your trailer have a female end? The industry standard is to have the female end be on the vehicle and the male end on the trailer, except semi trailers which are the opposite, male on the tractor, female on the trailer.

Rather than use an adapter I would rewire the trailer with a male connector if they are both 7-pin RV style connectors. To get to a four, five or six pin an adapter must be used. Those adapters are everywhere from Wal-Mart to any auto parts store.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:27 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Use the standard Pollak 7 way connector sold by Porsche, VW or many aftermarket sources. I did a quick search and found this one:LINK

Don't even think about rewiring it any other way. This connector is very much an industry standard and most trailers with brakes are moving to this style of connector. If you need some other style of connection it's easy enough to plug in an adapter.

I bought mine from my dealer but don't recall what I paid. I'm sure it was under $20 so the $70 quote seems way out of line. This is an OEM factory style part and not normally an aftermarket item so that may be why the trailer dealer was not familiar with it. Many Porsche dealers provide this part free.

A photo below shows what this should look like. Here's a link to additional information on towing with the Cayenne:LINK

Last edited by GM Austin; 03-04-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:24 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Sorry to disagree with you Brent, but mine is also like GM Austin's. Cayenne side is male, trailer side is female. My boat trailer has electric brake disable tied to the backup light so the seven pin is a must. Note the picture above. I also have an adapter that I bought at pep-boys for about two bucks that converts it to the old style flat four pin connector for my older flatbed trailer (no brakes).

Alex
Old 08-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what GM is saying is that if you have the male end pictured, which is how the Cayenne comes, you are missing the adapter. My dealer installed mine free of charge when delivered, it is bolted on. The truck end SHOULD be female, it IS the industry standard. Take a look at any domestic pick-up, I happen to own four of them, ALL of them come from the factory with a 7-pin FEMALE trailer connection on the truck. Your trailer connection SHOULD be male. You can configure it however you want if it is just that truck pulling that trailer but I assure you, it will be at odds with everything else out there (except other unpreparred Cayennes). Disagree if you like but I have a bunch of light duty trucks and trailers, the standard is female on the truck, male on the trailer.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:10 PM
GM Austin
Pro

A good place to look at various connectors is at etrailer.com . They have various styles of connectors and identify which is the trailer end and which is the vehicle end. The photo above shows the Cayenne after the 7 way connector has been installed. It is ready to plug a trailer-end connector directly in, which I have done.

Because of the style of this connector, I am not sure which would be called the male end and which the female. But, the photo above does depict the vehicle end connector, ready to tow a trailer that uses a 7 way connector. If the trailer you're towing has something other than a 7 way blade connector, you would then need the appropriate adapter.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:48 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

This post and this post have information on the Cayenne trailer connection.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Yes, that's good. Thanks Wingless. Especially that second link which has a photo of Kevin's 4 flat adapter plugged into the Pollak socket. This 4 flat and other adapters are readily available but you must start with the 7 way Pollak connector.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:41 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

Just got the Pollak adapter installed at a local hitch store. It was the second Cayenne they've seen. Took 2 seconds to mount and works great. The car end is definitely the Male end, just like GM's pix above.

Quick Reply: Which adatper for US seven pin wiring?