Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket upgrades - Wheels / Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004 | 05:43 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Default Aftermarket upgrades - Wheels / Tires

Greetings Cayenne fans. I'm adding a CTT to my stable and very excited. I'll take delivery on Monday. I've been reading the forum and haven't seen very much on aftermarket upgrades. I'm most interested in wheels to start. Mine is coming with 20" wheels but I'd like something larger.

Does anyone have experience with either the BBS RX II 2-piece 10.5x21" or the Champion RG24 Monolite 1-piece forged 10x22" wheels? Both are touted as having been developed specifically for these cars.

Any advice would be great. Also, any more imput about upgrades or tweeks would certainly garner my attention. What are some of the best exhaust mods and what about the CPU. It must be easy to get a lot more power from the Turbo with little effort.

Thanks,

JW
Old 07-24-2004 | 08:59 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Is everyone in here too busy with their Cayenne porblems to have any fun with modifications or upgrades? Or was there a problem with my post? Not a single reply surprised me. I'm really excited about my new ride.

Anyone...?
Old 07-24-2004 | 10:59 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Hey Josh!

Thought I would reply just to let you know somebody is reading

I have the 20's on my Cayenne S. About the only wheels I like better are the 20" five spoke Techarts. I don't think I would bother going bigger, with 20's you are already on a 40 series sidewall. 21's or 22's are only going to hurt the ride with a shorter sidewall and more wieght. That is probably why very few here have gone bigger. I do like the look of the RX2's though.

There are exhaust mods from Fabspeed. You can bypass the second set of cats or replace the whole system from the first set of cats back. I haven't heard of anybody doing the whole system but somebody here has just the bypass on a Cayenne S. Sounds like response was improved and outside sound levels are more aggresive.

I haven't heard of anybody upping the boost yet. No doubt it can be done.

Part of what you have here is a group of owners totally new to Porsche. Some haven't realized yet that Porsches are about speed and that mods are half the fun

I for one am dang excited for you The TT is a sweet little truck, you are going to love it.
Old 07-24-2004 | 11:40 PM
offroad911
Instructor

Josh, I have had my 04 "S" since July 03. I have done a number of mods including Sport Exhaust Tips, Trailer Hitch w/Prodigy Brake Control, Porsche Mud Guards (I really like these, do not take away from the appearance in any way and REALLY offer protection), Color matched Body Side Protectors, Porsche 20" Sport Techno Wheels CHROME, Techart Lowering Springs, Dark Wood Interior and Steering Wheel and PCMII, Clear Side Marker Lights, SS Skid Plate, Silver Hood Crest. I recently change the wheels to the 20" Techart and will be selling the CHROME 20" Sport Techno's.

I love my "S". Drove both the TT and "S" and found no personal need for the added cost. Both the sales staff and the service staff at my dealership tell me I have the best looking Cayenne out of their dealership and I tend to agree. I am about the only one in Knoxville that has done any mods to a Cayenne, "S" or TT.

You will find many different wheel combinations available for the TT from Techart, Porsche, Kahn, and others. Personal choice will dictate which you select, not peer pressure. There is a new wheel for Antera, the 343, which is a very good looking wheel and I think very complimentary to the Cayenne and as I understand it, MUCH less expensive than other currently being offered. In the 21" and 22" sizes, you will have to be cautious as tire availability and vehicle dynamics will enter the picture. A number of Cayenne owners have reported a vibration which has not been clearly identified. In my case it was absolutely a balance issue and virtually eliminated with tire replacement and a qualified GROUND FORCE balance. The physics of larger rotational wheel/tire assemblies are definitely at work on the Cayenne.
Old 07-24-2004 | 11:50 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Ah Brent, you kind soul...I was getting worried. Thanks for the reply. I've been off the board for so long and the majority of the Cayenne postings are to solve problems, a far departure from my usual Porsche experiences.

I'm really excited for Monday to get my truck. I have an '80 928 5-speed and I've done a whole lot to that beast. I also have an '01 996 with a good bunch of modifications and upgrades. Even have an incredible set of BBS racing wheels shod with Hoosiers for Willow Springs. I've decided to sell both and get the Cayenne now. I need the room and then when a 997 GT3 is released I'll get one of those. That'll be much closer to my ideal scene I figure.

On the Cayenne, I figure I'll treat it with the care and fun that I have my other Porsches...tweeking it to suit me is a big part of the game. Thanks for your advice on the wheels. I love the look of the Champion 22's but didn't consider the ride would be a problem. The BBS are very close in style and maybe a good split of the difference at 21". Exhaust and air filter I'll do before the week is out I'm sure. I'd like to find a good source for the CPU as a little tweek in the boost and timing would easily yeild an extra 40 to 60 HP. I doubt I'm tohe only one who thinks like this but I just love a little more.

Anyway, thanks for the thought on the comfort of the ride and the reply.

JW
Old 07-24-2004 | 11:54 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Hey John, thanks. What's the GROUND FORCE balance? I've been seeing a lot about the vibrations others are experincing. Does seem strange to me that the fix is so illusive.

JW
Old 07-25-2004 | 12:19 AM
offroad911
Instructor

Josh, This link will give you more information than I can: http://128.242.141.111/
Old 07-25-2004 | 02:48 AM
LegoDoom
Instructor

I've had the 21" BBS RX-II wheels on my Cayenne since I took delivery three months ago. No vibration issues at all. The ride is a little rougher than some would like, but isn't too bad and doesn't bother me in the least. The air suspension helps the ride quite a bit, even on our terrible PA roads.

http://members.verizon.net/~vze25jy6/cayenne2.jpg
Old 07-25-2004 | 02:51 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

I currently have 20´ rims, im getting 22 gemballa rims soon. The techart ones look hot too
Old 07-25-2004 | 05:24 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Hey Lego,

Those BBS look great. I was certain I wanted to get 21's or 22's but am having second thoughts now. I just saw a Maroon CS with 22's last night and while it looked very cool (if slightly Hip Hop) the side walls were miniscule. I have a friend with a new BMW 745i with 22's and the same side walls. She's had to repair two rims in the last month and her boyfriend (a very good driver) poped two tires on the road after hitting a couple of hidden pot holes. Makes me a bit nervous as after having driven my 996 for almost 4 years I was looking forward to not slowing down to a crawl to enter every driveway.

I really like the look of a couple of Gemballa wheels. Their website is awesome, http://www.gemballa.com/indexe_bak.html

I may be doing some of their front end work an stiching with 20's.

Thanks for the coments lads. Love the pics too.

JW
Old 07-25-2004 | 06:23 PM
LegoDoom
Instructor

I've only slightly nicked one of my wheels and I should've used better judgement when it happened. This is pothole country and I haven't had any negative issues so far. I only have around 3500 miles on her, but so far so good.

The only thing I'm not liking at all is that the wheels look terrible after it rains (which has been often) and cleaning is no easy chore.
Old 07-25-2004 | 06:37 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

The side walls on the 22s is too much of a liability. I know the nicks are bound to happen regardless. I think you're being polite though...those look like a nightmare to clean. I was just looking at the Gemballa site again and think the Track 20" wheel might be for me. Go look at that site, those are the most aggresive 955 ever! And 700Hp sounds good too.
Old 07-26-2004 | 01:12 AM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

I went back & forth between 20's and 22's. The 22's definately look better than the 20's. I went with the 20's and it was the right choice for me.
My CS is in AZ and I do not have to worry about snow. I just started thinking about all the things I could not do with 22's and a 30 series sidewall. No more off roading in the desert or using my CS like an SUV. Plus the ride is much better on 20's with 40 series sidewall.
It really came down to looks vs. being practical. I really think 22's look great but for me they are not practical.
Old 07-26-2004 | 01:57 AM
kerdmann
Addict
Rennlist Member

my ctt came with 20', and from what tests I read, that's pretty good for non suv driving.
my previous experience was with 20' momo's on the mb s600 - probably more equivalent
to the 22' on the c. I suddenly had a flat - no potholes. it turned out there was a crack in the
rim, tire fine. looking closer, there had been some welding - probably previous incidents,
I got the car c 30m. I went to 18' amg - boring, but no problems.
Old 07-26-2004 | 04:29 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

That's pretty much what my thinking is at this point. 20's are surely more reliable and practical than the 22's. The BBS 21's are good compromise between the two. But I think the 20's it comes with are the way to go. I'll spend my money on other fun stuff like the Gemballa front bumber and facia, very mean looking.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket upgrades - Wheels / Tires