Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter driving impression needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:24 PM
mim3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving impression needed.

Hi, The wife and I went out shopping for a new car to replace her Expedition. We drove a very nice S and an H2. The new car will be used as the wifes primary means of transportation (work/kids). We also need a vehicle to haul jet ski's and an enclosed motorcycle trailer.

We both felt the S was a fantastic car. But, are concerned how it will handle in the winter. We live in W.MI and get a lot of snow and ice. The roads are never really cleared and you can find yourself driving home from work in 12" of snow. We have always had a 4X4 vehicle to get around in.

I would love to hear from someone who lives in the snow belt.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have zero problems so long as you have 18 inch wheels with the correct tires. NOT 19's or 20's thats 18's just in case you misread.

Last winter proved this time and time again that its not the looks that count it's the the tires interaction with the ground that does.

If its a new one try to get them to throw in a second set of wheels/tires because of where you are. I have heard that this has been successfull in a lot of cases.

H2 ugh........ I cannot even coment on. Get an H1.

I am in South Eastern PA so I do not get your weather (thank.....) but I do go up into the mountains and tow a trailer.

Never had one moment where I had any trouble even in our deepest drift (only about 36 inches across my driveway). others did, then again so did H2's driven by morons who thought they could climb Everest in it.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:33 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

I agree with mudman you will be fine if you get 18´ tires.... I currently have 20´ and they suck in snow
Old 07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

The 18" Dunlop Grandtrek tires are great in winter weather.

Then, switch to summer-only tires for maximum performance in that season too.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

Porsche recommends Pirelli Scorpions on 18" wheel.......they take me through New England winters .......Ct to Maine.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One aspect that needs mentioning still. Something responsive like the Cayenne is a far better bet than something lumbering like an H2. Successful winter driving requires gentle inputs and predictible responses. That is something the Cayenne delivers and the H2 doesn't. Years ago I used to choose to drive a BMW 318 through the snow rather than a 4wd Suburban. The BMW was very predictible and I never lost it. The Sub was a tank, lifeless steering, squishy brakes, and I put it in the ditch once. Big and 4wd doesn't always translate into capable and safe. Besides in the summer the Cayenne is an absolute hoot If you get the air suspension, you can also dial up 11" of clearance, the H2 will drag in that much snow.

BTW, the Dunlop Grandtrek is offered in a Porsche spec "N" version and is also an approved winter tire for the Cayenne. That is most likely what will find its way onto my Cayenne.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:21 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by Harbormaster
Porsche recommends Pirelli Scorpions on 18" wheel.......they take me through New England winters .......Ct to Maine.
Yes, the Pirelli Scorpion A/T is the Porsche recommendation for an all-terrain tire.

For winter-only usage, the 18" Dunlop Grandtrek WT is sold as Porsche part number 955 944 600 05 mounted and balanced on the tubo wheel.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:34 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Much has been discussed on this topic last winter, and the advice above is right on. I would go with the 18" Dunlop Grandtrek with the 'N' designation, and mount them on a set of Turbo wheels. You can always find a set of turbo wheels on ebay, then buy the Dunlop's from Tirerack. If you can get the dealer to throw them in, even better. BTW, there was a shortage of these tires last year, but you can get them now.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:13 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

Dunlop Grandtreck WT M2 235/60 R18. It is the only snow tire that Porsche is recommending for the Cayenne. It is H rated. I think that endorsement should carry some weight. Buy the "N" rated version. I used these last winter and got a great test in early January when a couple of major storms hit here in the Pacific Northwest. They were really great. I was very stable at speeds >60mph in deep unplowed snow. During less adverse conditions I have gone up to about 110mph without any vibration. I got mine off of e-bay for about $2500. Now is a GREAT time to be looking.
Here is a winter pic:
Old 07-21-2004, 08:16 PM
spockcat
Intermediate

I came across winter tires in sizes that will fit 18", 19" and 20". Problem is that they seem to be only offered in Europe at this point.

Continental makes a tire called WinterContact: http://www.conti-online.com/ge....html

I suspect that if you want these, you should be contacting Tire Rack in the near future and ask them if they will offer them.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
kevin152
Track Day

Mike,
I live in South East Michigan and can attest that the Cayenne S is absolutely outstanding in the snow. I purchased a set of Pirelli Ice and Snow tires mounted on 18" wheels and the traction is akin to your expedition. My wife had a Navigator, which handles similar to your expedition. So go ahead and get the Cayenne and the snow tires and have fun.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,
I concur with the above. I bought an extra set of wheels and I swap out the entire wheel/tire set when the seasons change. By the way, the car tows beautifully. I load my enclosed trailer with my 993 and all my track stuff and the family (of 4) heads to Watkins Glen and the Pocono Mountians 4 times each sumer and the Cayenne S is in its element. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:01 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

18's with dedicated snows....nothing better in the winter...Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's rock!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:28 PM
dawktah
Racer

Dunlop Grandtreck WT M2 235/60 R18 excellent tire! Had no problems all Chicago Winter!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:55 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Within a couple of weeks, Pirelli and Dunlop will be releasing the Ice and Snow and Grandtrek snowtires in 20" sizes.

For $900+- I can buy 4 dedicated snows, and drive my gorgeous 20" wheels year round. I'm not trying to defy the laws of physics....of course...but understanding that these differences are small...can anyone give me a logical reason to spend another $2K on a set of 18" wheels that I don't like as much and then buy tires for them?

Regards

Steve

Quick Reply: Winter driving impression needed.