Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Don't See Why Anyone Would Buy A Loaded Cayenne V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 05:18 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should also be noted that although small, there are those few that want the manual transmission (only avaiable with the V6 as far as I know) so they may load up their V6 Cayenne with options just to be able to shift their own gears.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:27 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

zamirz-in the united states, do they actually make manual transmissions on cayennes? i have never seen one on a v6.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

The manual transmission is a new for 2005 choice, available only on the V6 Cayenne.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:42 AM
RUthless
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X5?

Brent,

Your also way off on thr BMW 3.0 X3. $41,500 msrp, leather(standard on V6PC not BMW), moonroof and rear roller shades = 45k. My V6 had those options and I paid 44k. I don tthink you arrogant but reality says that MAY 2004 sales figures put the V6PC as the either top PCar seller or close to it. By the the end of 2004 - it will be #1 selling Pcar - get used to it. It's just too good of a deal to ignore.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

docjackson,
You have a rather narrow view of life. We all have different reasons for buying the cars we do. I don't understand why people buy 996 Cararra S vs. the 996 Twin Turbo. Nearly the same price but without the HP fun factor. - But people do. To each their own. I'm glad we have different views of life or we would all be driving the exact same vehicle and that would be boring.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:10 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

truble 10-i guess i don't understand the logic of your point. on one hand, you are making a similar point to mine (by asserting that buying a new carerra s for 90k rather than a turbo) makes no sense because of much better performance in the tt vs s for equivalent money-and on the other hand you are saying that i have a narrow view of life for making the same point about a highly optioned cayenne v6 versus a base cayenne s. i guess i don't understand your reasoning. by the way, a carrera s is way less expensive than a new 996 tt, by approx 40k. scottsdale is a great place to live-you are a lucky guy to be out there. i own investment real estate there, but i am not lucky enough to work there.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Ruthless,

Well I guess you just helped make my point. I never wanted to see Porsche enter the ranks of plebian car maker with a low priced best seller. I think it compromises the value of the entire marque to chase after low level market segements, which is exactly what the Cv6 does.

It was bad enough that Porsche entered the SUV market in the first place, even though I really like my Cayenne, but to produce a slow Porsche at a bargain price rubs me wrong.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:06 PM
RUthless
Advanced

Brent,

I say this with much affection...You are a snob.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

docjackson,
I mean that just because something does not fit my needs it might work for someone else. I think Porsche made a mistake producing a 6 cylinder SUV but they did so I assume they see a market for it. I kinda feel the same way about the Boxer but to each their own.
The 996 S vs 996 TT was probably a poor analogy but I do see 01 and 02 turbos for less than many Cararra S's.
Glad to hear about your investment in Scottsdale. It is a great place to live especially if you can get away for the summer.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:51 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"but to produce a slow Porsche at a bargain price rubs me wrong."

Boxster

Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

truble 10-you are right about summer in scottsdale-but except for july-august, it's all good. i own a condo in souvanna at the scottsdale country club-would love to buy another at dc ranch. like you, i have a 996 tt (03) and a cayenne s. i also fly, and when i was there 3 weeks ago, i took a plane to sedona. damn fine part of the country.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Sorry John, every one of the cars you listed is substantially quicker than the Cayenne V6 except the 912. Not only that but the only one even in production in the last 13 years is the Boxster, see the "modern" part of my post.

You can call it snobbery, or pride in the marque. Either way, until the last couple of years it has been a part of Porsche history (for better or worse). What I have displayed doesn't even scratch the surface. You should have been around to read the debates going on just prior to the Cayennes introduction, and that was before a V6 was even mentioned. At one time there was a VERY vocal group of loyal Porsche owners that figured the whole Cayenne line was a huge mistake for the company. So while I am alone (almost) in this thread, I am confident that I am far from alone when you consider all of Porsches traditional customers. As someone new to Porsche ownership, I don't expect you to understand.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Doug n Terri
Addict
Rennlist Member

When Terri told me she wanted a Cayenne I had a hard time unrolling my eyes - they just went up and stayed there.

BUT we drove the 8 and the 6 and then compared options - GADS - they wanted to add this and that off the lot. OK, lets order. Out of 9 (as in NINE) dealerships, only one was interested in our quest. Of all places, Beverly Hills Porsche. Young fellow - Solomon - was quite helpful. 4 months later Terri's Titanium 6 with black soft leather look arrived.

The vehicle is great. Sounds throaty - gets about 19.5 on the hwy - and, unlike our old mini van, we can carry on a conversation with people in the back seat at illegal speeds.

In the curves of Napa/Sonoma wine country - some one on yer tail? Just motor off - this things handle like a Porsche - heh heh

DOUG
Old 07-24-2004, 11:25 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

brent-i understand what you are saying, but if we all want to enjoy our carreras, the company has to remain solvent. as you know, the cayenne, in all of it's forms, is it's biggest seller. they must be making big bucks off of the suv. without the cayenne, they might be in financial trouble, like in the early 90's. if they go under, no carreras. so for all of us who feel "betrayed" that they make an suv, let's remember that the company has to make a profit. no profit, no 911.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Well......I did my part, I bought the new Porsche SUV. I want to see them back in racing, and to continue to produce cars like the GT2 and GT3 for those of us into high performance Porsches. They did what they felt they had to and it seems to be the right thing so far. I still don't like the idea of the V6 but, to each his own I guess.

Quick Reply: I Don't See Why Anyone Would Buy A Loaded Cayenne V6