Sponsored by:

I Don't See Why Anyone Would Buy A Loaded Cayenne V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:07 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Don't See Why Anyone Would Buy A Loaded Cayenne V6

Especially when you can get a lightly equiped cayenne s for about the same price, considering discounts (53.5k to 56k). i have obviously driven both, and there is no comparison. i certainly see why someone would get a lightly loaded v6, to save money and spend in the lower to mid 40's. i just can't see why anyone would get a v6, load it up with every available option, and pay more than an available cayenne s. just consider the maxed out v6 at resale time. i just don't understand it.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

The same applies to a loaded up S compared to a TT. Or the guys that load up a Boxster S to $80-90k instead of buying a 911. They all end up eating it at re-sale or trade in time because most of those expensive options, full leather, carbon fiber packages etc. just dont add to the value much or at all in a used car situation. I agree with you in that for over $50k the Cayenne V6 isn't a very smart buy. My dealer has an '04 S with 6k miles on it in the low $50's right now. That would make a V6 version an impossible sell in my book.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:08 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my Cayenne "loaded up" (Cayenne S that is) and am very grateful that I did as I love the Nav, Air Suspensoin, and for me, I did not need the extra cost of those Turbos....

We all have our reasons for purchasing what we do..
Old 07-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Why buy a loaded V6 instead of a basic V8? This is something we've been seeing at my dealership. I've had many people come in, drive both our V6 and our V8 demo, then opt for a V6 with a lot more equipment. Their main reasoning is that they just don't need the power of the Cayenne S.

for us, a typical Cayenne runs about $70000CDN, and a typical Cayenne S runs around $90000CDN. I've had many customers order $80000CDN Cayennes. The way they see it,they're getting a truck they love, with a lot of features and extras, for less money than a truck that's essentially the same, but with more power and less features.

I understand where they're coming from. I love the little luxueries and extras we have available to us, but I'd rather have a stripped down V8 anyday. To each their own. As long as they're buying Porsaches from me, then I don't mind what they order.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

In Europe, a lot of people take a loaded V6 because of registration, road tax and insurance reasons.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:29 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i hear you loud and clear, difference engine. selling the car is the important thing. initially, when i was looking, i wanted to spend no more than 45k for the suv, as my primary ride is an 03 996 tt. i initially looked at a v8 treg, which was between 41 and 45k. i then contacted my porsche dealer, who showed me a v6 cayenne, at about 44k. my impression was that the much better drive was the v8 treg, for the money. i then drove the v8 cayenne s, and decided to buy a lightly loaded example (msrp 61,200 sale price 53,500). i think if you compare a v8 treg to a v6 cayenne, it is tough to take the cayenne over the treg, but to each his own. but, as you agree, the better experience is buying a lightly loaded cayenne s than a v6 cayenne, that is loaded, for the same price. you can always put an aftermarket nav in at a later date-you can't put in the v8 engine when you decide to.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

I guess we all have our own set of priorities. When I go to buy a new Porsche, SUV or not, POWER is THE big deal.

I also expect to see features starting to fade from automobiles. Mercedes has already annouced that they will be de-contenting their future offerings. All of these new high tech "features" are the things dragging the quality of new cars down. They also distract drivers from what they should be doing, being involved in driving, not fiddling with a nav screen. I would have bought a TT Cayenne in a heartbeat if I could have had it sans all the electronic gobbely gook.

I guess it bothers me some to hear that customers are choosing features over engine power. Besides the Cayenne S is hardly some uncontrollable screamer. I feel like these people are buying a Porsche for the wrong reasons and it further dissappoints me that they even offered a V6 version in the US. It seems to go against all of Porsches previous marketing. I bet I can get a 996 TT X-50 sans nav, that is how I think it should be.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:15 PM
RUthless
Advanced

Brent-89,

I could not disagree more. I bought the Cayenne for its looks and handling- the POWER was totally secondary. I did the same with my BMW 3 coupe - opting for 325Ci vs 330 or M.

If I only wanted POWER I would just order the new 2005 Corvette. On a pure POWER bang-for-the-buck basis, the Corvette has few equals, including anything in Porsche's line-up.

2005 Chevy Corvette
Base price $47,000
0-30 mph, sec 1.8
0-60 mph, sec 4.1
0-100 mph, sec 9.5
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 12.5 @ 115.0
Old 07-20-2004, 12:29 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

ruthless-i have 2 questions. first, for the same money, why not a v8 treg? second, does the ru in ruthless stand for rutgers?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Good to see a few fellow Rutgers scholars. Saw an old copy of the Targum recently when going through old stuff. Brought back so many good memories.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:44 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

jack-remember the "mugrat", instead of the targum, that they put out on each april 1st. i am class of 74.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:33 AM
RUthless
Advanced

docjackson1,

To answer your 2nd question - yes it stands for Rutgers!

Your 1st question. my family looked at a Toureg - even took it home for the night...all before i knew about the V6 Cayenne. Exterior - no comparison in my opinion. Interior - I actually like the trg's interior but cayenne's Sand Beige won by a hair. Handling - no comparison - I actually test drove a trg again after getting the V6 and it just has WAY more roll - trg's have a more comfortable overall ride but but so does a Mercury Grand Marquis - The Porsche handles curves - like a sports car, period. And last - The wow factor you get from a Cayenne is also not even in the same league. People love it and they tell you about it all the time. I had family visiting from Europe & they were saying that people back home would not believe they were actually driving in a Cayenne.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:13 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

ruthless-how about the category of power/acceleration-don't you think a treg v8 has it all over a v6 cayenne when you hit the accelerator? why buy a slow porsche?
Old 07-21-2004, 04:52 PM
RUthless
Advanced

0-60 or 1/4 mile certainly the V8 trg is a bit quicker but did I mention the WOW factor above? Also, exhaust sounds totally different - the PV6 really sounds throaty - a trait the V8 trg does not have - on purpose I think, in line with the comfortable ride...
Old 07-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

But couldn't you have saved $15k and bought an X5 3.0? I'm glad you like your V6 but I remain disappointed in PCNA for bringing it here in the first place. I can't get over a modern Porsche with a 0-60 time over 9 seconds. You'll get mowed down by four cylinder Honda Accords Just doesn't make sense to me that it wears a Porsche badge. I'm not trying to be arrogant but it sure seems to drag the whole brand down a notch.

Quick Reply: I Don't See Why Anyone Would Buy A Loaded Cayenne V6