Sponsored by:

Navi Update?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:20 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navi Update?

Has anyone figured out if/when the CD's for the factory Navi system in the Cayenne will be updated? I talked to the dealer and he was clueless. This is a burning issue for me because recent freeway construction in my area isn't on my current CD. No biggie for a few months or whatever, but there seems to be no plan to update this software with new mapping data.

Any help for me???
Old 07-06-2004, 01:33 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

I think typically if they just built a freeway in your area it might take up to a year for it to show up on a Nav CD.

Does the new freeway show up on Mapquest yet?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Default It's There

The freeway does show up on mapquest.

My question is more about updates in general than this particular issue. Have you gotten and update for your Navi CD or do you know how often these are supposed to come?

Alex
Old 07-06-2004, 02:14 AM
magicdracula
Instructor

No updates yet. But if there is any, you'll find the info on www.navteq.com
Old 07-06-2004, 02:38 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Updates are very expensive throught these guys -- $200 I think. They are sole source though. Seems to me it should be around $50, and have updates available annually.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running the 03 discs which are better than the 02's but the maps aren't much better. (PCM II version III)
Old 07-06-2004, 03:41 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Source?

Mudman:

Did you get your update through your dealer or did you get it from the website mentioned above?

Alex
Old 07-06-2004, 07:43 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From Navreq, by phone. You could not order these discs on line last time I checked.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a sidenote, for those of you with Version 2.0 Nav systems, be prepared for a serious pain in the ***.

We just put an 04 Cayenne S into demo duty. It has V2.0 Nav system, so we go and order the discs, thinking they'll be the most up to date version. Wrong.

The discs still do not have our area on them. So I call Navtech, and they were incredibly polite and helpful. Sarcasm mode off.

Navtech told me they never made an update disc for V2.0 Nav systems because it wasn't deemed neccessary. They told me that Porsche had a software update. Interesting, considering we did not receive any indication of these from Porsche. So I went to our service department, and after some digging, sure enough there is a software update.

We update to Version 3.0 and then had to fork out $200US plus shipping for new discs.

So for anyone with a V2.0 Nav system, you'll need the software updated at your dealer, and then you'll need to fork our for the new discs. Navtech apparently do not do updates, you need to purchase all new sets.

I'm wondering what will happen when the Nav system goes DVD for 05. Will they bother to make updates for V3.0? Will we all need to buy DVD drives and software for our existing Cayennes?

I would recommend for anyone with a V2.0 to update the software at your dealer, then find a friend with V3.0discs. Then burn a copy of the discs for yourself. Burned discs work fine. Ummm...or so I've heard.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:33 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Good Info!

Differ:

How do I tell what version of Nav I have? Is there some splash screen or something?

Alex
Old 07-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Dak
Track Day

To determine PCM software version:

1. Start Cayenne.
2. Press MAIN and TRIP at the same time.

-Dak
Old 07-07-2004, 10:54 PM
magicdracula
Instructor

speaking about the Cayenne 05 DVD Nav.

Do you know if we can upgrade the (head unit/hard drive/ or player) to be compatible with the new DVD Nav?

Just wondering if we will be up to date once the DVD Nav get released?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now, we have no idea how easy it will be to retrofit a PCM with the 05 DVD system. I would assume it's possible, but the cost of retrofitting might make it unrealistic.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 576 Posts

Picked up my new S last week and just got the nav discs today. Learning to play with it some tonight- it will take a while but my kids will teach me how to use it... a new interstate bypass near our house that is a year old is NOT on the system. It shows us driving through a corn field... oh well. Can't wait to use it on a longer trip where we really don't know where we're going!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:10 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

My experience is the same as Difference Engine. I did notice that upgrading to PCM Version 3.0 solved lots of problems with the PCM interface / sound system. Navtech is not customer oriented, and they blamed Porsche for everything. They also mentioned that they only do updates when Porsche requests them to do so. I only had my 2.0 version for a couple of months, but they insisted on $200 for the new set. BTW, they didn't get any money from me. The new (if you can call it new) version is only a slight improvement from the 2.0, and lacks info on a new freeway on ramp (about 2 years old) 237/880 in SF Bay Area, and there is a new bypass in Truckee (about 2 years old) to HWY80 that shows me driving through fields. What's funny about that one is the bypass is a long bridge above some roads, and the "lady" keeps telling me to turn this way and that way in the middle of the bridge. The directions in Truckee are really messed up, but it self corrects at times -- if you know enough to make the right turn. Porsche really needs to come up with a plan for updates at a reasonable price, or will us 2003/4 owners be stuck with 2002 maps?

Quick Reply: Navi Update?