Sponsored by:

PSM question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 02:10 PM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PSM question

I have had an opportunity to drive two Cayenne S vehicles as service loaners. When you turn PSM off, the truck starts in 1st gear and the shift points change, allowing higher rpm before shifting giving you a more spirited drive.

However I turn PSM off on my TT and NOTHING happens. Is this the way its supposed to be? Why is programming that different? Is this yet another service issue?

--Christopher
Old 07-02-2004, 11:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris

You may have to clear the e-gas system first.

Open the car, place the key in the ignition, without touching anything, brake radio etc.

turn the key to the on position without cranking. Leave it for more than 30 seconds, then turn off remove the key exit and lock the car. E-gas memory should now be clear.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:17 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up my TT and noticed that, unless a start from stop is very aggressive, it starts in 2nd, and the shifts do seem to come "early". I'm playing w/tip, but would like a more aggressive auto shift pattern, similar to my wife's X5-4.6 in "sport" mode.

I think the TT has a numerically lower axle ratio than the "S" so maybe different shiftware?

Michael, are you saying that by clearing the E-gas, Christopher's TT should start in 1st and shift more aggressively with the PSM off? Is that one of the effects of turning off the PSM? Is there a way to get the more aggressive shifting w/PSM on?

Thanks!

Mark McKenzie
Old 07-03-2004, 04:50 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Mark

I do not know of a way for the shift program to be altered, mostly the learning process tries to match your intentions and remembers your habits and adjusts.

The PCM off program does changethe program and holds lower gears longer for driving thru sand etc where high rev are required.

I do believe that a new program should be attainable via a PST2 in the right hands tho.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:58 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be great if we could just select and dial in one of the 350 plus shift patterns. One of my few gripes is that the car drives differently every day, and is generally too sluggish through the gears, unless I kill the PSM, or drive it very hard the night before. And, killing the PSM does not really deliver a smooth shifting TT.

In general, I would prefer it to be be more predictable, and remain the same all the time. I mean, to me, it's silly to have a Porsche twin turbo adjusting to each driver's needs, when in reality, there should simply be a sport mode, or power mode, and economy mode. Two or three modes would probably be a much better-suited approach for buyers of these vehicles.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2004, 02:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

agreed
Old 07-05-2004, 12:30 AM
dawktah
Racer

Agreed!

I tried resetting computer and it did not effect things enough to make difference. There has got to be a way to avoid accidental "turbo lag." E-gas doesn't seem to let you back off, so it hesitates before turbo kicks in. Which it doesn't do if you just from standing start just "haul ****."
Old 07-06-2004, 12:17 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Question Launch?

Regarding launch control/turbo lag, my habit is to use the tip to signal my TT to spool up. I find that when sitting at a light with a 16 year old in a hopped up Camaro, the best response is to click down once. The tip holds 1st gear until I'm ready. Light green, Camaro smoked. Auto function comes back on after I'm close to redline.

On the freeway, same thing. 540 decides to pass on the right, just click down once on the tip and floor it. Zero turbo lag. The ten second hold for manual seems to be just about the right amount of time to pass the grandma in the olds also.

Alex

Quick Reply: PSM question