Sponsored by:

Help! I sheared a stud off the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024 | 11:58 PM
Arnabio
Rennlist Member

Default Help! I sheared a stud off the turbo

On my 09 CTTS.

Working out install my new turbo back exhaust with test pipes and after much cursing it came out, but not without shearing off one of the studs from the passenger side (LHD) turbo housing.

I have a new stud ready, but about 5mm of the stud is stuck within. I’ve sprayed it multiple times with PBBlaster. I’ve worked on trying to drill centered in it to get an EZ out in. All to really no avail. I really do not want to try and remove the turbo to get this thing out.

Here are my thoughts or ideas:
1. Maybe just run it with 4 screws? How bad of an exhaust leak would that cause?
2. Some new and amazing idea to center in a drill in a tight and difficult to get to place to drill and allow an EZ out
3. If I can drill it out maybe I could just use a bolt and nut if the threads are damaged.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-27-2024 | 02:08 AM
VoilaGT3
Rennlist Member

Ouch, I can only image the level of contortionism involved. I can only offer get a high quality drill bit and extractor set. I typically go with bits 3/4ths the bolt circumfrence and make sure it is deep enough to allow the ez-out to bite in. Some people heat the spot, but in that tight of a spot I might try a wart remover spray shooting for just the stud(very cold). Be cautious to drill properly and take your time when attempting to back it out. You want to work it loose vs. Manhandling it(I do this and forget how brittle hardend steel is). I do not envy your situation, take breaks if it gets frustrating.
HTH
P.S. these are what I use.
Norseman Cryo drill bits.
Knipex 9R4719003 Rennsteig 5-Piece Double Edge Screw Extractor Set.

Last edited by VoilaGT3; 08-27-2024 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2024 | 02:52 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

There are hundreds if not thousands of bolt extraction videos on YouTube. Watch a few.
The only thing good about the e-z out is their marketing. If you snap one of those in there, you're pulling the turbo. If memory serves me right, my success rate with "ez outs" is worse than 0. I have a T25 turbo with a snapped EZ out in it, and I don't look forward to that project. Drill and tap usually works out well for me, and I've gotten lucky a few times with welding a nut to the stud to extract it (usually only works on larger bolts, like M10+).
4/5 bolts, there's a good chance it'll leak. Exhaust fums inside the cabin is never a fun situation, you're better off fixing it now rather than having to redo the whole thing later.

Drill it out. If you mess up the threads, nut and bolt it afterwards, or heli coil it (also works rather well). I'm sure it's going to suck, but such is life sometimes.

Last edited by slavie; 08-27-2024 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (08-27-2024)
Old 08-28-2024 | 04:36 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

I once spent 3 or 4 days, off and on, trying to remove a broken stud on the front turbo of my 3000gt vr4. I initially tried welding a nut to the stud, but it just kept breaking. I eventually had to buy a high quality drill bit set and drill it out. I slightly ovaled the hole but the stock stud still fit, and I tack welded it from behind to keep it from loosening.

I can’t imagine doing this with the turbo in the car. It’s going to suck however you do it. I would remove the turbo (I remember seeing a thread that it is possible with the engine installed) and tackle it on the workbench. If you mess up the sealing surface of the turbo while trying to drill out the stud (tight working area and all), you’ll have to pull it anyways.
Old 09-10-2024 | 07:57 PM
Arnabio
Rennlist Member

Update: Shockingly I got nearly the entire stud out with about $100 worth of diamond tips for a dremel then attempted to EZ out the shell of it which promptly broke flush again. Another $100 worth of dremel bits and I was able to retap and fit a new stud that is sealing well.

Second issue then became that the inserts for the Supersprint exhaust between the downstream cat and the mid pipe didn’t fit and I had to then buy an exhaust pipe expander. Finally freaking working.
The following 4 users liked this post by Arnabio:
BobcatBrian (09-11-2024), slavie (09-11-2024), theworkerbee (09-11-2024), VoilaGT3 (09-14-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 09:34 PM
theprf
Race Car

Bravo! Good on you for finding a way.
BobcatBrian (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 07:35 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Nice work! Are you doing this using a lift?
Old 09-11-2024 | 12:04 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

You were warned about the e-z outs, lol. But hey, good job on persevering and fixing it the right way! Trust me, skimping on exhaust then smelling it inside the car after everything is bolted back really sucks - been there done that.
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:22 AM
Arnabio
Rennlist Member

Haha Nope, Jackstand under the passenger side, ramp on the drivers side and rear on the ground with blocks. I did order a lift during this process.
TRINITONY (09-22-2024)
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:22 AM
Arnabio
Rennlist Member

Facts. Totally. It was an object lesson for sure.

Quick Reply: Help! I sheared a stud off the turbo