Sponsored by:

Extended driving in terrain mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 05:15 PM
KGeorge
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Extended driving in terrain mode

Curious if anyone has info or experience with extended driving in terrain mode. I have an 08 ctt that is basically stock except for 265/65/18s. It’s nice to be in normal mode for long interstate hauls but I spend a lot of time on forest service roads and do a lot of light off-road driving and tend to just leave it in terrain mode until I hit the highway and it lowers on its own. At present I thinks it been in terrain mode for the last couple hundred miles. I started wondering if I’m putting unnecessary strain on the axles or if it’s no different than driving around with a lift?
Old 07-30-2024, 06:32 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have just read the owners manual because I wanted to understand the self lowering at higher speed levels.

i crossed the part where it’s written: no constant driving on roads with average speed at high level !

you can find the advise in the manual
Old 07-30-2024, 06:56 PM
KGeorge
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm… mine says “it is not permissible to drive in terrain or special terrain heights on public roads” I just read that as German mindset not that it’s going to break something!
Old 07-30-2024, 08:33 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KGeorge
Hmm… mine says “it is not permissible to drive in terrain or special terrain heights on public roads” I just read that as German mindset not that it’s going to break something!

maybe I am wrong but for me it doesn’t even feel good going this fast with terrain mode. Maybe because at this level the car , let’s say my car, Is acting completely different. From the standpoint of handling

Last edited by ekstroemtj; 07-30-2024 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,619 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Anytime you raise the center of gravity, handling is going to suffer and sway is going to increase. At some height, doesn't it also disconnect the sway bars so you get more suspension articulation angle for better off-road capability? You also have more air in the bags which makes the ride bouncy when you don't need the height.

Seems like it's not too much trouble to click the height switch once or twice when you get to the pavement LOL
The following users liked this post:
ekstroemtj (07-31-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 10:36 AM
545moose
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd lock the center-diff and roll on, just like I would in a Landcruiser/GX/Rover etc., it's not low range, send it. Shouldn't be very fast on forest roads anyhow...

Quick Reply: Extended driving in terrain mode